Review by Sahani Nimandra -- This Nearly Was Mine: A Novel

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Review by Sahani Nimandra -- This Nearly Was Mine: A Novel

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

[Following is a volunteer review of "This Nearly Was Mine: A Novel" by Nancy Farkas.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

After enjoying a warm bath on a winter's eve, I lie on my couch next to the blazing fireplace in my living room. Getting cozy and comfortable in my warm clothes, I decided to write the story of my life, absurd, right? After leafing through some pages in my diary, my memories took me back to the wild and carefree days of my youth.

I found myself in the heart of Spain after going through a rough break-up with my long-term boyfriend, Bill. He cheated on me with a common slut, which bummed me so hard, but things changed after I met Francisco. He was so charming, flirtatious, and dreamy that made any woman to want him on their bed.

Hey! Don't get me wrong; we were young and wild at our carefree days. Surely you must have encountered such interesting and hot moments in your life, behind closed doors, I guess.

The best words that I could use to describe this read is, All's Well That Ends Well (a play by William Shakespeare). The author, Nancy Farkas, writes the story of Annie in form of a memoir. It's a unique piece of work that has a creative beginning and an ending. This plot consists of 24 chapters and an afterword section. Nancy Farkas takes us back to the 1980s in Manhattan, New York and Spain. The subject address by this read consists of mature contents therefore, reader's discretion is advised.

This Nearly Was Mine by Nancy Farkas is A Novel which tells the tale of Annie and her string of boyfriends throughout her life. Filled in these pages were moments of young love, heartbreak, lovemaking, abortion, marriage, betrayal, and new-found love. The author takes the reader on a joy ride back and forth on Annie's memory lane, but sometimes, it was difficult to cope up. The narrator of this chick lit is none other than our protagonist, Annie.

The author had presented the plot's layout in form of a movie, and sometimes I felt it was over-dramatic. The start was good, but as it picks up its pace, it was difficult to keep in touch with the sudden introduction of different characters, one after the other (in the first half). This plot maintains a casual tone, and it's admirable that the protagonist always takes care to involve the reader in her life. The protagonist acts as a storyteller, and we, the readers, can sit back and enjoy this read.

The characters were exceptional. I found our protagonist, Annie, to be a Drama Queen, and a careless, free-spirited person. I often found myself annoyed by her behavior, but I don't blame her because we are totally different. The sub-characters were her boyfriends: Matthew, Francisco, and Bill supported by the plot's minor characters. Unlike Bill and Matthew, Francisco is a ladies' man who reminded me of Charlie Harper in a T.v. series called Two and Half Men, is a man with a bigger heart, yet full of unresolved emotional issues. Francisco reminded me of Connor Mead in the movie called Ghosts of Girlfriends Past.

This plot meets the reader's expectations. There were bizarre moments in this read, such as,
I said, "I was glad he was going out and having a good time," and He said that, "none of the women meant anything to him, it was strictly for sex." He somehow seems disgusted with himself. He said that, "he believes that he had been use for sex."
This seems odd to me, I mean can you imagine a person who uses women for an one-night stand views himself as been used for sex?

There were unacceptable and immature moments in this read, such as,
"I told Matthew I had to say goodbye to Francisco one more time. I ran back into the building. As soon as Francisco saw me, he excused himself from the smitten ballerinas and came around the reception desk. He grabbed my hand, and took me to the office behind the reception area, and shut the door. I started crying, and he started kissing me. He was unquestionably erect, pushing himself against me. I moaned as we kissed each other harder and harder."
Can you imagine that? I don't mean to judge, but doing something like that with another man, other than your husband, seems totally wrong to me.

At times I felt certain scenarios unrealistic, yet they made me think. I couldn't help but wonder, how people can enjoy casual or meaningless sex without developing feelings? This story reflects on how unreliable high school or college romantic affairs were (not all relationships), and the nature of those relationships. Readers who enjoy romance and chick lit would find this read amusing. I wish to rate This Nearly Was Mine 3 out of 4 stars; A star reduced due to the exceeding number of minor errors, grammatical and typos, that couldn't be ignored.

As I finalize my story, I couldn't help but laugh at the absurd remark made by my mum saying, "You better not let your daddy read this!" And I believe you can guess why.

This Nearly Was Mine: A Novel
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Sahani Nimandra's review? Post a comment saying so!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
Fozia-Bajwa
Currently Reading: The Newton Code
Bookshelf Size: 263
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fozia-bajwa.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Fozia-Bajwa »

I have read your review of the book This Nearly was Mine by Nancy Farkas. The most interesting thing is the cover of the book. It is enchanting and impressive. You have made a great effort to describe the sweetest atmosphere with the romantic scenes and love affairs. Actually it looks like an explanation of the beauty of the nature.
jcoad
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jcoad.html
Latest Review: True Blue Friend by Roy DeMauro

Post by jcoad »

Great job describing what this book is about and how it is presented. I love your use of lines from the book to demonstrate what you are talking about. To me this appears to be the "chick book" or "chick books" and that is not my favorite genre to read. Thanks for the great review!
Sahani Nimandra

jcoad wrote: 07 Oct 2018, 20:47 Great job describing what this book is about and how it is presented. I love your use of lines from the book to demonstrate what you are talking about. To me this appears to be the "chick book" or "chick books" and that is not my favorite genre to read. Thanks for the great review!
Thank you for commenting!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
Noraine Alissa Poria
Currently Reading: Bro Code
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-noraine-alissa-poria.html
Latest Review: The Making Of A Con by Grace Larson

Post by Noraine Alissa Poria »

I think I would love this book. It is really interesting, tho I am not a fan of memoirs, but I'll give this one a shot. Great review by the way! I hope you'll also read my latest work and please comment your thoughts.
Sahani Nimandra

Noraine Alissa Poria wrote: 07 Oct 2018, 20:57 I think I would love this book. It is really interesting, tho I am not a fan of memoirs, but I'll give this one a shot. Great review by the way! I hope you'll also read my latest work and please comment your thoughts.
Yes, sure. Thank you for commenting!
Sahani Nimandra

Fozia-Bajwa wrote: 07 Oct 2018, 14:23 I have read your review of the book This Nearly was Mine by Nancy Farkas. The most interesting thing is the cover of the book. It is enchanting and impressive. You have made a great effort to describe the sweetest atmosphere with the romantic scenes and love affairs. Actually it looks like an explanation of the beauty of the nature.
I didn't see it this way. Thank you for bringing that up!
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3038
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Disappearance by Julien Ayotte

Post by Kibet Hillary »

Thanks for the review. It is a great book except for the awkward sentences that seem unbelievable. I do not think that I will be reading this.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Sahani Nimandra

Kibetious wrote: 08 Oct 2018, 03:34 Thanks for the review. It is a great book except for the awkward sentences that seem unbelievable. I do not think that I will be reading this.
Thank you for commenting! :tiphat:
Fozia-Bajwa
Currently Reading: The Newton Code
Bookshelf Size: 263
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fozia-bajwa.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Fozia-Bajwa »

Sahani Nimandra wrote: 07 Oct 2018, 23:22
Fozia-Bajwa wrote: 07 Oct 2018, 14:23 I have read your review of the book This Nearly was Mine by Nancy Farkas. The most interesting thing is the cover of the book. It is enchanting and impressive. You have made a great effort to describe the sweetest atmosphere with the romantic scenes and love affairs. Actually it looks like an explanation of the beauty of the nature.
I didn't see it this way. Thank you for bringing that up!
Welcome.
Yoli García
Currently Reading: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yoli-garc-a.html
Latest Review: A taste of Cuba by Birgitte Røddik

Post by Yoli García »

I will add this book to my want-to-read shelf as it sounds so feisty, and I enjoy love stories. Thanks for the excellent review!
"What matters in life is not what happens to you but what you remember and how you remember it."

-Gabriel García Márquez
Sahani Nimandra

Yolimari wrote: 08 Oct 2018, 05:47 I will add this book to my want-to-read shelf as it sounds so feisty, and I enjoy love stories. Thanks for the excellent review!
Thank you for commenting! Glad you enjoyed it.
Marissa Michael
Currently Reading: Carrie
Bookshelf Size: 585
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marissa-michael.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing
2024 Reading Goal: 5
2024 Goal Completion: 60%

Post by Marissa Michael »

I think I could use this book as my light reading. I can relate with your view on casual sex but since I have read so much chick lits that include casual sex or one night stand thing, I no longer appalled by the idea of it like I used to before. Thanks for the detailed review of this book.
"Read in order to live." ~Gustave Flaubert
"Fiction reveals truths that reality obscures." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
Sahani Nimandra

ParadoxicalWoman wrote: 08 Oct 2018, 07:55 I think I could use this book as my light reading. I can relate with your view on casual sex but since I have read so much chick lits that include casual sex or one night stand thing, I no longer appalled by the idea of it like I used to before. Thanks for the detailed review of this book.
Really! What changed your idea about one-night stand, or casual sex?
Marissa Michael
Currently Reading: Carrie
Bookshelf Size: 585
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marissa-michael.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing
2024 Reading Goal: 5
2024 Goal Completion: 60%

Post by Marissa Michael »

Sahani Nimandra wrote: 08 Oct 2018, 08:14
ParadoxicalWoman wrote: 08 Oct 2018, 07:55 I think I could use this book as my light reading. I can relate with your view on casual sex but since I have read so much chick lits that include casual sex or one night stand thing, I no longer appalled by the idea of it like I used to before. Thanks for the detailed review of this book.
Really! What changed your idea about one-night stand, or casual sex?
People having casual sex is no longer surprising to me because this not only happen in the West but also in my country. I still remember vividly about my previous housemate who living this way and proud of it. I don't mind with her lifestyle nor judging her but I told her that it's better for her to not bringing guys when I'm around in the house. However, I will be surprised and give high respect to those who willingly choose sex abstinence before marriage.
"Read in order to live." ~Gustave Flaubert
"Fiction reveals truths that reality obscures." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”