Review by ParadoxicalWoman -- Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Marissa Michael
Currently Reading: Carrie
Bookshelf Size: 585
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marissa-michael.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing
2024 Reading Goal: 5
2024 Goal Completion: 60%

Review by ParadoxicalWoman -- Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by Marissa Michael »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Heartaches 3" by H.M. Irwing.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Are you a fighter or a runner? When you are having a problem, would you face it? or would you run away from it? Keep the answer to yourself.

To be fearless is to face your fears to the very roots. Once and for all. Committing the so-called small crimes to avoid your problems will lead you to nowhere but to the bigger crimes like what Brian Simmons did to his stepsister, Anna Simmons.

Heartaches 3 is the third novel in the Bad Boy Vibes series where the missing pieces of puzzles found their place, and your questions arising from the previous two books of this series will be answered.

I enjoyed reading the complexity of this book in dealing with issues like family drama, traumatic experience (in this book is the rape case), LGBT, and the illegal drug dealership. The way the author weaving these complex issues in an orderly way is amazing and I find it to be a pleasant read.

My favourite character in this book is Suzi. I am amazed at the character of Suzi for being such a risk taker and she is willing to help others with what she can by helping Anna and Rafe to stop the wedding of Aunt Bella (Rafe's aunt) with the villain named Peter Preston. Suzi's willingness to help Anna and Rafe comes with the string attached which is to take revenge against David Seaton for abandoning her. There is a saying that "you reap what you sow"; Suzi's effort of helping Anna and Rafe turned out to be the solution to Suzi's problems that she had been concerned about.

In reading every book, I have this tendency to look for takeaway(s) or for a lesson learned. My takeaway from this book is we need to be grateful for the small victories that we have won as our way of appreciating all of our efforts that we have put into, but that should not be the reason for us to be complacent; The opposition is always on the move. Thus, we must always be on guard.

Aside from what I enjoyed and liked from this book, it is also fair to point out my dislike of this book. While I was reading this book, I noticed that I only know this book is set in Victoria, Australia. I wish the author to write more of the name of the places and streets' name that associated with the characters. Nevertheless, my dislike did not affect my reading enjoyment because I only noticed this after reading this third book and I was more overwhelmed in reading the point of views of the different characters. For these 2 reasons, I would not remove 1 star from my rating.

I would like to rate this book 4 out of 4 stars for the good character development, the plot twist and turn, sex scenes at minimal which is not more than one paragraph, and the author had skilfully weaved this tale with complex issues in an orderly manner.

I recommend this book to those who are into the romance genre, LGBT, and mystery genre. If you are one of those who doesn't tolerate to read anything with the traumatic experiences like rape case, and not into LGBT related book, then this book is not for you.

Heartaches 3
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like ParadoxicalWoman's review? Post a comment saying so!
"Read in order to live." ~Gustave Flaubert
"Fiction reveals truths that reality obscures." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
Alice Heritage
Review Team Guidelines Team Leader
Favorite Author: Wilkie Collins
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces of Gothic Fiction
Bookshelf Size: 379
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-heritage.html
Latest Review: Dissonance by Aaron Ryan
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 1
fav_author_id: 1
Signature Addition: Mod

Post by Alice Heritage »

Thanks for an interesting review! I am not into this series myself but it's always fascinating to see what others make of it. The Australian setting is one thing I like - there are some passable descriptions of the landscape and I love that they have tea like we Brits do! It's good that those descriptions left you wanting to know a bit more about those locations in Australia.
This post was brought to you by the word "specifically".
Mod
Marissa Michael
Currently Reading: Carrie
Bookshelf Size: 585
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marissa-michael.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing
2024 Reading Goal: 5
2024 Goal Completion: 60%

Post by Marissa Michael »

ButterscotchCherrie wrote: 04 Oct 2018, 09:04 Thanks for an interesting review! I am not into this series myself but it's always fascinating to see what others make of it. The Australian setting is one thing I like - there are some passable descriptions of the landscape and I love that they have tea like we Brits do! It's good that those descriptions left you wanting to know a bit more about those locations in Australia.
Thank you for your time in reading and commenting. :tiphat:
"Read in order to live." ~Gustave Flaubert
"Fiction reveals truths that reality obscures." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
Fozia-Bajwa
Currently Reading: The Newton Code
Bookshelf Size: 263
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fozia-bajwa.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Fozia-Bajwa »

You have given an honest answer to the story in your review by pointing out all the merits and demerits of the book.
jcoad
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jcoad.html
Latest Review: True Blue Friend by Roy DeMauro

Post by jcoad »

I am not a big fan of romance novels but all the reviews I have read on this series make it sound very good. Not sure I will pick it up but thank you for your great summary of this story and why you feel it deserves 4 stars!
Noraine Alissa Poria
Currently Reading: Bro Code
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-noraine-alissa-poria.html
Latest Review: The Making Of A Con by Grace Larson

Post by Noraine Alissa Poria »

This sounds like a really good book, I would like to make a review of this book someday. I honestly love romance novels, this is the kind of romance novel with a little bit of action on it which makes the book even better. Great review by the way. I will be grateful if you read my latest review, and comment your thoughts in it.
ea_anthony
Favorite Book: Praying successfully
Currently Reading: Prisoners of Geography
Bookshelf Size: 650
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ea-anthony.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by ea_anthony »

I just jumped in here and I must admit this is an amazing review, I read it three times, it was that good. From this review it seems this third installment is not a stand alone. I do enjoy more than the odd romance though I apparently enjoy some genres more. Your review tempts me, but I might pass or maybe not.
Ignorance promotes divisiveness, knowledge encourages diversity. :techie-studyingbrown:
Julie Green
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-green.html
Latest Review: Fate Line by Marc J. Seifer

Post by Julie Green »

Congrats on an excellent review. I must admit I was a bit lost with this book, and found it all very confusing - but your review lays it all out quite clearly!
Samisah
Currently Reading: Final Notice
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samisah.html
Latest Review: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016 by William H. Coles

Post by Samisah »

Having review part one of this series myself, I can understand the reasoning behind the rating by the reviewer. Mr. Irwing is an excellent writer. The sorrows and challenges of Anna and Rafe finally came to a peaceful end.
Debjani Ghosh
Favorite Book: The Lord Of The Rings
Currently Reading: The Evacuees
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debjani-ghosh.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Debjani Ghosh »

It's good to know that the author has tied up all the loose ends in the final installment of the series. Thank god! the author has kept the erotic scenes to a minimum. I had read the first book and had found it to be enjoyable. Thanks for the review!
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

I haven't read the first two books in the series, so I would not benefit from this one either. I'm afraid I wouldn't enjoy reading about the characters with such traumatic pasts. I appreciate your balanced review. Good job!
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a
CommMayo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

I enjoy how you list out your takeways from the book. That adds a nice depth to your review.
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

I'm not a fan of romance and tragedy, so I have avoided this series. It sounds well written though and I'm glad you enjoyed it.
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

The dark themes in the series make me hesitant in picking up the book. However, I'm glad you enjoyed the book. Great review!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
revna01
Currently Reading: Storm Front
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-revna01.html
Latest Review: Rufus: A Boy's Extraordinary Experiences in the Civil War by Phoebe Sheldon

Post by revna01 »

I've read several reviews about this series and find that each reviewer has their own unique take on it. I'm glad you enjoyed it, even if it's not the book for me.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”