Review by Shrabastee -- The Watchmaker’s Doctor

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Review by Shrabastee -- The Watchmaker’s Doctor

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Watchmaker’s Doctor" by G. M. T. Schuilling.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

There are good books that make you feel content after reading. There are great books that make you want to read them again and again. And then there are books that stop you right in your tracks, make you question yourself and re-evaluate your choices. Worse still, you don’t even feel like taking up another book for a long time afterward.

The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G.M.T. Schuilling makes the third category without any doubt. Minutes after receiving a watch from her patient Greg, a speeding van almost ends Anaya’s life at the age of thirty-five. At the last moment, the watch rewinds, making her go back in time to the moment she got the watch. Offered with a second chance at life, Anaya agrees to go back eighteen years. This time around, she is determined not to repeat the wrong choices she made last time. But as her choices change, so do the consequences. How will they affect her or those closest to her?

Time travel is one of the most popular themes in the science fiction genre. However, this book combines with it different twists that make the story more intriguing. For example, going back and choosing to attend college might help Anaya build her career this time around, or her Bipolar II can be diagnosed earlier and treated accordingly. These choices might prevent the downhill turn her life took the last time, but she might have to pay the price in other ways. Who can tell?

Aware of her second and final chance, Anaya’s dilemma is palpable. On one hand, she tries to enjoy life to the fullest. On the other hand, she feels too cautious lest she should repeat her past mistakes. In addition, the knowledge of that final moment when her heart will inevitably stop makes her emotions all the more complex. To the author’s credit, the reader feels similarly affected by an emotional upheaval, relishing one moment, dreading the next, all the time debating if the choice to come back was wise.

Even within a short span, the characters are well-developed. Anaya, a thirty-five-year-old ‘teenager’, is understandably mature. Other aspects of her characters like bravery, intuition, and a conscientious nature are also reflected. Her parents and friends are compassionate and supportive. Even Greg’s character takes an unexpected turn at the end that puts the entire novella in a new light.

A crisp but poignant read, this book made me ponder for quite a while. How many of us can claim to have lived without regrets? If a second shot at life were possible, would we be willing to take it, or should we be content with our old life and all its imperfections? And even if we choose to go back, what unforeseen complexities might arise this time? I absolutely love books that make me think, and this one was one of the very best among them. I especially loved the personification of time and the clever inclusion of the famous myth of Alexandria's Genesis.

I could not really find anything to criticize in this book. Although the end left me with a few unanswered questions, those would probably be taken care of in the next books of the series.

This novella deserves nothing less than 4 out of 4 stars. I did not find a single grammatical or typing error, so it seems to be professionally edited. The Watchmaker’s Doctor would appeal to anyone who loves science fiction, adults and young adults alike. But even if you are not a fan of that genre, you can still pick this book up if you are open to a thought-provoking read.

The Watchmaker’s Doctor
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Shrabastee's review? Post a comment saying so!
Sunnyroyish
Currently Reading: Journey of a Bedroom Poet
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunnyroyish.html
Latest Review: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In by Harold Toliver

Post by Sunnyroyish »

Wow! Nice story. I love science fiction. This book has been there for me to review for a long time but I never took it. Now after reading your review, I think i'm going to give it a shot. If you like time travel and anime I'd recommend Stein's Gate which is a Japanese anime with an amazing and extremely complex storyline. Thanks for the review. Waiting for the next one.
Life is just a parenthesis in the vastness of infinity.
Shrabastee Chakraborty

Sunnyroyish wrote: 03 Oct 2018, 02:54 Wow! Nice story. I love science fiction. This book has been there for me to review for a long time but I never took it. Now after reading your review, I think i'm going to give it a shot. If you like time travel and anime I'd recommend Stein's Gate which is a Japanese anime with an amazing and extremely complex storyline. Thanks for the review. Waiting for the next one.
Thanks for the comment and also the recommendation! Yes, I love both and I will surely give Stein's Gate a try. As for this book, I believe you'll enjoy this. The ending is a cliffhanger, but a promising one at that!
Alice Heritage
Review Team Guidelines Team Leader
Favorite Author: Wilkie Collins
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces of Gothic Fiction
Bookshelf Size: 378
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-heritage.html
Latest Review: Keys to Healthy Communication by Bobby R Patton,Rusalyn H Andrews and Jennifer Page Daily
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 1
fav_author_id: 1
Signature Addition: Mod

Post by Alice Heritage »

Ah, time. That fourth dimension that we just can't help moving with - not that that stops science fiction writers from exploring the implications of time travel. It certainly is thought-provoking - the idea of being able to fix those regrets is tantalizing, but so is the notion that we could, in fact, make things worse ?!? Although steady the passage of time can feel very different in different situations, which means that we get 35-year-old teenagers these days! (I can relate). I enjoyed your excellent review.
This post was brought to you by the word "specifically".
Mod
Shrabastee Chakraborty

ButterscotchCherrie wrote: 03 Oct 2018, 03:50 Ah, time. That fourth dimension that we just can't help moving with - not that that stops science fiction writers from exploring the implications of time travel. It certainly is thought-provoking - the idea of being able to fix those regrets is tantalizing, but so is the notion that we could, in fact, make things worse ?!? Although steady the passage of time can feel very different in different situations, which means that we get 35-year-old teenagers these days! (I can relate). I enjoyed your excellent review.
Thanks for stopping by! I loved the notion of going back in time and amending our choices, but yes, things might get worse. Still, I would probably prefer to come back again and again if only to read those books I can't complete in this lifetime! :techie-studyinggray: :techie-studyingbrown:
jjmainor
Currently Reading: The House Where Evil Dwells...Thirteen Tells
Bookshelf Size: 171
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jjmainor.html
Latest Review: Beyond Cloud Nine (Beyond Saga Book 1) by Greg Spry

Post by jjmainor »

It's funny, but this is such a simple story, and yet, it's so enjoyable.
Shrabastee Chakraborty

jjmainor wrote: 03 Oct 2018, 21:13 It's funny, but this is such a simple story, and yet, it's so enjoyable.
Yes, I agree! Thanks for the comment.
Julie Green
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-green.html
Latest Review: Fate Line by Marc J. Seifer

Post by Julie Green »

You are correct that this book makes you think about what you would do if offered the chance to relive your life. I enjoyed it too - that such a simple story could have me thinking so deeply!
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

I enjoyed reading your review! I love that time is personified in this book. Time travel stories have always been interesting for me, and, as you pointed out, are also thought-provoking. This one seem to be well done! Thanks for sharing your thoughts!
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a
Shrabastee Chakraborty

Julie Green wrote: 04 Oct 2018, 16:27 You are correct that this book makes you think about what you would do if offered the chance to relive your life. I enjoyed it too - that such a simple story could have me thinking so deeply!
That is the beauty of it, such a short read to have such an impact! Thanks for the comment. I am glad you enjoyed the book!
Shrabastee Chakraborty

stacie k wrote: 04 Oct 2018, 18:12 I enjoyed reading your review! I love that time is personified in this book. Time travel stories have always been interesting for me, and, as you pointed out, are also thought-provoking. This one seem to be well done! Thanks for sharing your thoughts!
Actually, time was not personified per se, as in, it was not a person. But you get to see its different aspects in one character and his creations. I don't want to say anything else lest I should spoil your reading.
Since time travel is a theme you like, I could not help asking if you have read 'The Time Traveller's Wife'. It was another book that had a similar impact on me.
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

I really like this book, I have heard so much about it and even sampled this read. I have seen lot of our fellow reviewer give it a 4 stars. Truly it must be a great read, besides I see that it has delighted you exceedingly. Thank you for your delightful review!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
Shrabastee Chakraborty

Sahani Nimandra wrote: 08 Oct 2018, 08:11 I really like this book, I have heard so much about it and even sampled this read. I have seen lot of our fellow reviewer give it a 4 stars. Truly it must be a great read, besides I see that it has delighted you exceedingly. Thank you for your delightful review!
This was indeed a great read, I am sure you will enjoy it! I suppose I especially loved this because I have always been fascinated by the concept of time travel. Thanks so much for your comment!
Espie
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

I hope the protagonist made the most of her second chance at life. How many of us would get to have that, too? I hope we all would and could make the difference in one way or another. Thank you for your insightful review.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs
Jgideon
Favorite Book: Gates to Tangier
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 253
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jgideon.html
Latest Review: Sundays with Sister ssj by Anthony Happy LaRiccia

Post by Jgideon »

I do love sci-fi books. This one has a great story and it seems to be thoroughly polished. Thanks for the recommendation.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”