Review by Values_and_standards -- McDowell

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Doug Jones
Currently Reading: Beyond Denial
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-doug-jones.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid

Review by Values_and_standards -- McDowell

Post by Doug Jones »

[Following is a volunteer review of "McDowell" by William H. Coles.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In McDowell, William H. Coles has presented a compelling story of atonement. The atoner is the titular character, Hiram McDowell, who is introduced to us as a gifted surgeon, a ruthless careerist, a shameless philanderer, and in general an amoral, nasty piece of work. His only redeeming feature is his love of his children. That aside, there is nothing to like about Hiram McDowell, and those who he has mistreated in the book will concur with the reader that he needs taking down a peg or two.

Indeed, this is the initial hook of the story. McDowell is so narcissistic, callous and unlikeable that the reader will want to see him get his comeuppance. And when it comes, it is shattering for McDowell, and ultimately sobering. Stripped of his power and prestige, forced to go on the run from the law, he is forced to learn virtue while living as a poor fugitive. And this spiritual awakening sees the struggle of a deeply flawed man making an effort to become a better person.

What keeps the reader turning the pages is curiosity over how McDowell copes with his downfall, and then curiosity over how his personal struggle will pan out. The initial contempt that McDowell evokes gives way to understanding and eventually sympathy. The issues that McDowell confronts in his self-examination are ones that most of us have to deal with at some level, and Coles deserves credit for relaying these issues without being didactic or preachy in their presentation.

McDowell contrasts favorably with another of Coles’ novels, The Spirit of Want. The pacing of McDowell is much better, with the characters fleshed-out more plausibly and the sub-plots better realized. However, all of this works as support to the main story arc of McDowell’s personal journey. Though McDowell starts off as a worse person than Lucy in The Spirit of Want, he becomes in the end what Lucy never succeeded in being – a likeable protagonist that the reader could, with qualifications, identify with.

I have no hesitation in giving McDowell 4 out of 4 stars. Coles has provided a well-written and engrossing chronicle of how even the worst of us can improve with honest self-examination and genuine effort, and a story that can provide that is one that everyone can benefit from reading. In short, I recommend McDowell to everyone.

McDowell
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like Values_and_standards's review? Post a comment saying so!
Rosebella
Favorite Author: J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison
Favorite Book: Queen takes Queen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 262
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosebella.html
Latest Review: The Dark Web Murders by Brian O'Hare
fav_author_id: 96867

Post by Rosebella »

Sound like a good read. I like characters that I can love to hate. I've read a few of author's books and I think I will pick this book for my next review.
Good review. :tiphat: :tiphat:
Books are a uniquely portable magic.
–Stephen King

There is no friend as loyal as a book.
–Ernest Hemingway

Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are.
–Mason Cooley
:tiphat: :techie-studyingbrown: :D
Doug Jones

Post by Doug Jones »

Thanks, Rosebella. Let me know when your review is up, I'd like to see your take on it.
Georgia Lyonhyde
Currently Reading: A Tale For The Time Being
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-georgia-lyonhyde.html
Latest Review: Snatched Up to Heaven! by Jemima Paul and Arvind Paul

Post by Georgia Lyonhyde »

You have painted a picture of a character everyone loves to hate. I'm rather torn now as having read other reviews for this book, I think I could grow to love him if his retribution is handled well. I must read this book!!!
You know you’ve read a good book when you turn the last page and feel a little as if you have lost a friend.
–Paul Sweeney :tiphat:
Doug Jones

Post by Doug Jones »

Well, Georgia, I think you should. Whatever your assessment of Hiram himself ends up being, I'd be surprised if you got nothing from the book. If you review it, let me know.
Fozia-Bajwa
Currently Reading: The Newton Code
Bookshelf Size: 263
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fozia-bajwa.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Fozia-Bajwa »

Hi I read your review of the book McDowell by William H. Coles. You have said that McDowell is a narcissist. No doubt he is a selfish person, at each and every cost he loves selfness. You have said well and correct about McDowell.
JuliaKay
Currently Reading: The Black Witch
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliakay.html
Latest Review: I Am Not Gog by Matthew James Hunt

Post by JuliaKay »

I haven't completed the book, but from the sample, I was turned-off by Hiram. It would be interesting to read about his redemption. I agree with you that what kept me curious was how his story would play out - how he would handle his downfall and redeem himself. I thought that some of his narcissistic traits were so bad that I wanted to read more - I was loving the loathing I felt for him! Thanks for your review.
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies, said Jojen. The man who never reads lives only one.”
― George R.R. Martin, A Dance with Dragons
Doug Jones

Post by Doug Jones »

Fozia-Bajwa wrote: 02 Oct 2018, 09:53 Hi I read your review of the book McDowell by William H. Coles. You have said that McDowell is a narcissist. No doubt he is a selfish person, at each and every cost he loves selfness. You have said well and correct about McDowell.
I think I've said a bit more than that, Fozia, but appreciate your feedback nonetheless.
Nothing is more conductive to peace of mind than not having any opinions at all. - Georg Christoph Lichtenberg
Doug Jones

Post by Doug Jones »

JuliaKay wrote: 02 Oct 2018, 14:35 I haven't completed the book, but from the sample, I was turned-off by Hiram. It would be interesting to read about his redemption. I agree with you that what kept me curious was how his story would play out - how he would handle his downfall and redeem himself. I thought that some of his narcissistic traits were so bad that I wanted to read more - I was loving the loathing I felt for him! Thanks for your review.
Keep reading, Julia. You may find Hiram surprising you as a result. And you're welcome, appreciate the feedback.
Nothing is more conductive to peace of mind than not having any opinions at all. - Georg Christoph Lichtenberg
Fozia-Bajwa
Currently Reading: The Newton Code
Bookshelf Size: 263
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fozia-bajwa.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Fozia-Bajwa »

Doug Jones wrote: 26 Oct 2018, 03:25
Fozia-Bajwa wrote: 02 Oct 2018, 09:53 Hi I read your review of the book McDowell by William H. Coles. You have said that McDowell is a narcissist. No doubt he is a selfish person, at each and every cost he loves selfness. You have said well and correct about McDowell.
I think I've said a bit more than that, Fozia, but appreciate your feedback nonetheless.

Thanks

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”