Review by Bianka Walter -- Final Notice by Van Fleisher

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Bianka Walter
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Review by Bianka Walter -- Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by Bianka Walter »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

While having drinks with friends a few nights ago, I was greeted with the usual chorus of eye-rolls and fake snores when beginning a conversation with, “So, I’m reading this book at the moment…” My friends aren’t big readers, and they tolerate me chatting about whatever I’m reading, but don’t get overly involved. That is up until I asked the question, “Would you say yes to knowing when you are going to die?” Needless to say, this discussion lasted a good hour. This is one of the prevalent subjects in Van Fleisher’s Final Notice - and what a thought-provoking idea!

Vijay Singh, a medical doctor who is also a fitness enthusiast has developed a fitness tracking watch with a unique function. It can monitor your health and ultimately predict your death. During the trials of these watches, there are some unforeseen complications. Upon receiving their final notice, a few of the test subjects, chiefly those with access to guns, decide to end their time on earth by killing other people. Concurrently, while these acts occur, Vince and Trudi Fuller are considering buying a firearm. The recent acts of violence in the news and their new-found need to protect themselves lead them down the path of procuring a weapon. The question is, if presented with an opportunity to pull the trigger, would either of them be able to do it?

I thoroughly enjoyed this book. The notions presented were stimulating and more than being engrossed in the story, I was interested in Fleisher’s views on gun control. There were so many parts when I was behind his beliefs completely, and then other times that I was on the fence. This internal debate kept me engaged throughout the book.

Along with the underlying question of gun control, I was wrapped up in the lives of the people in the story. Fleisher does a comprehensive job of introducing the characters in the book. I felt immediately endeared to Trudi and Vince, an elderly couple who are living out their retirement in peace and happiness. They encompass everything good about people and how people should behave. The same can be said for Vijay and his multibillion-dollar company. He is logical and takes responsibility for the collateral damage caused by the watch. It is a bit too perfect that the main protagonists in the book are all seemingly flawless and it would be have been good to have a wayward streak in one or two of them. However, with the heavy subject matter, it was a relief to have characters to love.

With the controversy surrounding gun laws, the NRA and even foreign immigrants, Fleisher delves into some very sensitive topics. He also does so in an unabashedly biased manner. I may not have enjoyed this book if I was opposed to his beliefs, but as it turns out, I wasn’t. Because of this, I give this book 4 out of 4 stars. I would recommend this book to open-minded individuals who don’t mind seeing things from different views. Final Notice starts off by painting a somewhat immoral picture of humankind, and as we delve deeper, it allows us to believe that people are inherently good. With everything going on in the world, it’s a happy belief to have.

Final Notice
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Bianka Walter's review? Post a comment saying so!
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
Libs_Books
Favorite Book: The year of the flood
Currently Reading: Mason Dixon
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-libs-books.html
Latest Review: Dont Panic Its Organic by Dr. Andy Lopez

Post by Libs_Books »

Bianka Walter wrote: 11 Apr 2018, 06:54 Final Notice starts off by painting a somewhat immoral picture of humankind, and as we delve deeper, it allows us to believe that people are inherently good. With everything going on in the world, it’s a happy belief to have.
That's a very neat summary - it manages to say something about the way the book ends, without giving any spoilers. I'm with you on the overall sentiment, too, though I didn't find the book quite so engaging in the early stages.
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Post by Helen_Combe »

Great review. I love books that can carry a heavy and important message wrapped up in an entertaining story. It’s a very good way of reaching people who may otherwise dismiss the argument out of hand.
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
Bianka Walter
Currently Reading:

Post by Bianka Walter »

Libs_Books wrote: 12 Apr 2018, 05:30
Bianka Walter wrote: 11 Apr 2018, 06:54 Final Notice starts off by painting a somewhat immoral picture of humankind, and as we delve deeper, it allows us to believe that people are inherently good. With everything going on in the world, it’s a happy belief to have.
That's a very neat summary - it manages to say something about the way the book ends, without giving any spoilers. I'm with you on the overall sentiment, too, though I didn't find the book quite so engaging in the early stages.
You're probably right, the book was a bit slow in the early stages, but I feel like it picked up enough for me to forgive it. Thanks so much for the comments!
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
Bianka Walter
Currently Reading:

Post by Bianka Walter »

Helen_Combe wrote: 12 Apr 2018, 07:15 Great review. I love books that can carry a heavy and important message wrapped up in an entertaining story. It’s a very good way of reaching people who may otherwise dismiss the argument out of hand.
Absolutely! The story definitely carried the heavy topics well. Thanks so much for your comment!
- Dr. Seuss
Niski
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-niski.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Niski »

I also enjoyed this book, but I agree that it is easier to share the views of the author to enjoy it more!
Bianka Walter
Currently Reading:

Post by Bianka Walter »

Niski wrote: 14 Apr 2018, 04:17 I also enjoyed this book, but I agree that it is easier to share the views of the author to enjoy it more!
Yes, it is easier. I think this review would have been very different had I been on the opposing end of his opinions :) Thanks for the comment.
- Dr. Seuss
Spirit Wandering
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... bastian</a>
Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spirit-wandering.html
Latest Review: JOURNEY - Becoming the Dream Walker by T.N. Bui

Post by Spirit Wandering »

I also discussed this book with some friends, although our discussion centered around the NRA and gun control. Needless to say, it was lively! Thanks for the great review.
Interested in books that help one's spirit move beyond the ordinary.
CommMayo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

I really like how you started off your review with a personal story. It helps to draw a reader in and I can imagine myself in the same situation. Of course, all of my friends are huge readers so the eye rolling wouldn't be happening.
Bianka Walter
Currently Reading:

Post by Bianka Walter »

Spirit Wandering wrote: 14 Apr 2018, 19:06 I also discussed this book with some friends, although our discussion centered around the NRA and gun control. Needless to say, it was lively! Thanks for the great review.
There are so many controversial topics in this book, it's such an easy conversation starter! Thanks so much for the comment!
- Dr. Seuss
Bianka Walter
Currently Reading:

Post by Bianka Walter »

CommMayo wrote: 14 Apr 2018, 20:22 Of course, all of my friends are huge readers so the eye rolling wouldn't be happening.
Lucky fish! I've tried to get my friends to do a book club with me, but that turned into wine club, and now we just drink a lot. :lol:
- Dr. Seuss
HollandBlue
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hollandblue.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by HollandBlue »

I also gave this book 4/4 stars, and I liked reading about the different reactions the characters had when they received their 'Final Notices'.
:techie-studyinggray: when I get a little money I buy books; and if I have any left l buy food and clothes
Desiderius Erasmus Roterodamas
(1466-1536)
Bianka Walter
Currently Reading:

Post by Bianka Walter »

BookReader+6 wrote: 01 Oct 2018, 08:14 I also gave this book 4/4 stars, and I liked reading about the different reactions the characters had when they received their 'Final Notices'.
Absolutely! He was very creative with his descriptions. It makes you wonder how you would react.
I doubt my reaction would be a shooting rampage, but interesting nonetheless :)
- Dr. Seuss
ObsessedBookNerd
Favorite Book: Moon Called
Currently Reading: Morning Is Always Nigh
Bookshelf Size: 882
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-obsessedbooknerd.html
Latest Review: 30th Century: Escape (First Edition) by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD

Post by ObsessedBookNerd »

I tried reading this book but only got less than halfway through it. I didn't find the book very interesting because it felt like it was a book on gun statics instead of a story. This book wasn't something that I could enjoy reading.
Elizabeth Pass
Favorite Book: Dealing with Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #1)
Currently Reading: Reign
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bb587.html
Latest Review: COVIDinners by Katie M Zeigler

Post by Elizabeth Pass »

So many interesting questions come up in this book. Things like mortality and gun control keep you engaged throughout this story.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”