Review by daydreaming reader -- Concealment by Rose Edmunds

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
daydreaming reader
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daydreaming-reader.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Review by daydreaming reader -- Concealment by Rose Edmunds

Post by daydreaming reader »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Concealment" by Rose Edmunds.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Perception is reality.

Amy Robinson has adapted to this saying since she was a little girl. Even now, as a partner at Pearson Malone, Amy presents herself as a posh professional. With a successful career in finance, a beautiful home and designer clothes, Amy appears to have it all.

Behind this facade, however, Amy harbors a secret from the world. Not even her ex-husband Greg or her best friend Lisa Carter knows what this secret is.

When Isabelle Edwards, a co-worker, is murdered Amy's carefully constructed facade begins to unravel. Isabelle's boyfriend, another co-worker at Pearson Malone, is the main suspect. Amy has no other choice but to reveal a secret, one that paints her as an accessory to the murder of Isabelle. As the events unfold, Amy questions herself. Is she simply paranoid? Who else would want Isabelle dead? Why? Is it someone closer than Amy first thought? It does not help that she is seeing and speaking to her younger self.

So many secrets and Amy is determined to hide them all. How long will she succeed?

Concealment, a Psychological Thriller is book 1 of the Crazy Amy series by Rose Edmunds. It was first published on March 26th, 2015 by Mainsail Books. The book consists of 340 pages and contains 47 short chapters.

The tagline ‘a psychological thriller’ certainly rings true for this book. The book introduces Amy as someone with impostor syndrome. For Amy, This stems from the secret that has burdened her for most, if not all of her life. Eventually, this quickly spirals into something else, as Amy finds that she is unable to trust those she once believe she could.

This book flows well, and there is a sense of realism portrayed in regards to Amy's state of mind. However, at times, I did find the pace a bit slow. Mostly, I was not fond of the cliffhangers at the end of some the chapters. Granted, it served to establish certain aspects of the storyline. My imagination, however, led me to believe something more drastic would occur. What unfolded did not live up to my expectations. Despite this, little else detracted from the reading experience.

I found no errors. However, I am not used to seeing/hearing some of the words and phrases used in the book.

I would rate Concealment, a Psychological Thriller by Rose Edmunds 4 out of 4 stars. My dislike of the cliffhangers at the end of some of the chapters are personal, and may not necessarily pose an issue for other readers. While it did affect the climax for me, the character of Amy Robinson and her secrets are intriguing. Especially considering how her secrets and her volatile and toxic work environment affect the character.

I would recommend this book to adults who enjoy reading psychological thrillers, as well as suspense.

Concealment
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like daydreaming reader's review? Post a comment saying so!
"Without chaos, there can be no order"
- Heath D. Alberts
"You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star."
Friedrich Nietzsche
Allyseria
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-allyseria.html
Latest Review: Choosing Happiness by Emily Hunter Slingluff

Post by Allyseria »

Ooh, I haven't read a book that has a character who has an imposter syndrome. It already sounds like an interesting read. Maybe I could skim sometimes if the pace gets a bit too slow...

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”