Official Review: Maddy's Wings by Jan porter

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kwahu
Favorite Author: Kathleen Geiger
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kwahu.html
Latest Review: The Ripples Spread by Fay Spurgin
fav_author_id: 73488

Official Review: Maddy's Wings by Jan porter

Post by kwahu »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Maddy's Wings" by Jan porter.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Maddy is a former WWII pilot who has lived long enough to narrate the stories of WWII which she took part in. She recounts the stories to her son-in-law together with her new neighbors, Gloria and her granddaughter, Lizzy. Maddy's Wings by Jan Porte is a novel categorized under the genre other fiction. The reader gets a clear understanding of the dangers and atrocities the world faced then.

Maddy's husband, Gordon, aging with visible wrinkles, is suffering from cancer which has taken its toll on his body, not forgetting the Alzheimer's disease. His post War thoughts of things he should have done right or should not have done at all, including the disappearance of Pastor Jacob which he thinks he had a hand in, are quite traumatizing. While Maddy is constantly by his side offering all help, she cannot help thinking how life will be without Gordon.

Twenty years after her husband's death, Maddy finds herself facing close to similar problems especially when the Alzheimer's disease set in. When her doctor suggests her transfer to the nursing home for the elderly, Maddy finds herself fighting heard to avoid the transfer with the help of her son-in-law and only surviving relative, Robert. Her condition worsens when she starts having thoughts of how she could have protected her sister, Rosie, from Pastor Jacob's assault, and how she caused the plane crash that killed both her crews. On the other hand, her assigned care-worker, Gretchen, has selfish desires and would not rest till she has Maddy transferred to the nursing home.

Apart from giving an account of WWII, this book is an encouragement to all women. It shows that any woman can excel in a male-dominated field. It is easier today to recognize and award a woman's effort when she succeeds than before. Even though Maddy crush landed her plane on water surviving the incident, the only award she receives is "You did a helluva job landing that aircraft on water. If you were not civil service, you would be commended." If it were today, journalists would be killing one another for the best shot.

The author did not want the reader to dwell entirely on War atrocities but brought in the themes of family, integrity, and traditions. What I liked most about the book is the storytelling scenes with Maddy, Gloria, Lizzy, and Robert sitting outside at the fireplace. I loved how Maddy was keen to dissipate all information from her childhood. "Never grow up so much that you lose your child-like wonder." I found this headline fitting quite well with Maddy's character. Storytellers like Maddy are hard to find today especially with scenes from the fireplace.

The errors in the book were non-significant and could not deter my reading, therefore, I award it 4 out of 4 stars. The writing style and character development are also great, especially in the dialogues Maddy holds with other characters. I recommend this book to historians and documentarians. However, owing to the presence of strong language, the book is not good for young readers.

Maddy's Wings
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like kwahu's review? Post a comment saying so!
daydreaming reader
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daydreaming-reader.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by daydreaming reader »

I like that this book focuses on females from WWII, since information isn't widely known about their participation. Thank you for your review.
"Without chaos, there can be no order"
- Heath D. Alberts
"You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star."
Friedrich Nietzsche
Kristy Khem
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Carmela
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristykhem.html
Latest Review: Hattie Vavaseur by M. Rebecca Wildsmith

Post by Kristy Khem »

Firstly, I really loved the cover of this book. The story itself seem to contain a wide variety of themes; war, flying, family, and dealing with diseases. The peaceful cover design did not reflect this, so I was quite surprised after reading your review! Despite this, I will take your word for it that it was indeed an excellent book :)
Allyseria
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-allyseria.html
Latest Review: Choosing Happiness by Emily Hunter Slingluff

Post by Allyseria »

I like that this book shows that women can be successful in any male-dominated field. However, I don't particularly like reading books set in a war period so I have to pass on this book.
Debjani Ghosh
Favorite Book: The Lord Of The Rings
Currently Reading: The Evacuees
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debjani-ghosh.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Debjani Ghosh »

A story set in the WWII glorifying the achievements of women in a male-dominated field and also portraying the relationship that Maddie shares with her relatives sound interesting. Thanks for the detailed review!
T_stone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-stone.html
Latest Review: Marketing on Fleek by Kobi Ben Meir
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by T_stone »

This story goes to show that women can be successful in fields dominated by men. This book is a historical war fiction that talks also about family and diseases.
Good review
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.

Rob White

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”