Review by Kathryn Price -- Ironbark Hill by Jennie Linnane

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kathryn Price
Currently Reading: The Fifth Season
Bookshelf Size: 285
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kathryn-price.html
Latest Review: The Doughnut Boy by Michael R. Dennis

Review by Kathryn Price -- Ironbark Hill by Jennie Linnane

Post by Kathryn Price »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Ironbark Hill" by Jennie Linnane.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Ironbark Hill by Jennie Linnane is an inspiring coming-of-age story that will speak to anyone who has experienced real hardships in their lives, and builds empathy in those who have not. Covering several difficult topics including racial discrimination, abusive family situations, and alcoholism, which is pleasing to see in a work of fiction, it is an enjoyable, in-depth story that is sure to please.

Natalie Chapman, or Natty, is a sixteen-year-old girl living in Shannondale, Australia. She is part Aborigine and consequently faces constant bullying and discrimination because of her ancestry. One of the only people in the town who actually likes her is her employer, the enthusiastic Mrs. Glover, who encourages Natty in her aspirations to become a landscape painter. At home, Natty also battles her abusive, alcoholic father, Alex. Trying to come up with ways to escape his plots to get more money for alcohol and protect her mother and younger siblings from his drunken fits of temper, Natty must fight for her own . The story gives you a personal look at her feelings, motives, and aspirations during this period in her life as she makes life-changing decisions amidst such hardship, and drives home the moral that actions have consequences, especially the indescreet ones.

There was very little about this book that I did not like. What little I had trouble with was in the story only – Natty made several decisions that I did not feel were right or should have had stronger consequences fitting with the style of the story. This included a certain relationship Natty engaged in which is morally wrong but is not treated as a major issue and is not resolved. With regards to editing, I have no complaints – I only found one minor error.

There was much more about this book that I did like. One of the first things I noticed was that the writing was flowery and very descriptive, using words, adjectives especially, that are not commonly found in a lot of recent literature. Words that stood out to me as rare and unique to the author’s writing style included "concertinaed", "somnolent", and "secateurs". This personally delighted me and I did not feel that the language detracted from the story itself; rather, that it improved it even though I occasionally had to reach for a dictionary. The story contains elements that could have been gory or explicit if described by a different author, but Linnane handles these difficult parts with grace, revealing enough to inform the reader but not shock them. Finally, I liked the way the author handled the characters and made them distinct and different from each other, as well as how the book was balanced. Overall, it feels very self-contained and complete.

I rate Ironbark Hill 4 out of 4 stars for its excellent story, characters, and writing quality. I recommend this book to anyone looking for a book in this genre, including parents looking for thought-provoking books to discuss with their tween or teen kids. I enjoyed reading it and I am willing to bet that most readers will enjoy it as well.

Ironbark Hill
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Kathryn Price's review? Post a comment saying so!
“If you believe only in facts and forget stories, your brain will live, but your heart will die” ― Cassandra Clare, Lord of Shadows
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

A coming of age story revolving around the life of a sixteen-year-old girl who has to deal with bullying and discrimination sounds intriguing. Good writing, round characters, and sensitive handling of difficult parts are the mark of a good book. I do not care to read about abuse, but I am glad you enjoyed the book. Thank you for the review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

This is an amazing coming of age novel that deals with ra ial discrimination, abusive families and alcoholism. The book was an incredible read and i rated it 4 out of 4 stars. The onlinebookclub review of the book was written not only professionally, but also masterfully.
HailKingEbi
Currently Reading: The Notebook
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hailkingebi.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is not what you think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by HailKingEbi »

the book sounds like it deserves the rating it got. And thanks for an interesting review
will probably find time to check it out. congratulations on BOTD.
We're all puppets, Laurie. I'm just a puppet who can see the strings - Doctor Manhattan.
HailKingEbi
Currently Reading: The Notebook
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hailkingebi.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is not what you think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by HailKingEbi »

the book sounds like it deserves the rating it got. And thanks for an interesting review
will probably find time to check it out. congratulations on BOTD.
We're all puppets, Laurie. I'm just a puppet who can see the strings - Doctor Manhattan.
joellas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joellas.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by joellas »

Set in the time of queen Elizabeth's ascension this coming of age story is about a 17 year old girl who has to face bullying protecting her family and also wants to avenge her father. Good plot and characters.
Misael Carlos
Favorite Book: The Sins of a Master Race
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 213
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-misael-carlos.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Misael Carlos »

It seems like a novel with a strong, relevant plot and very relatable due to the issues of bullying and discrimination. Happy reading to us!
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

This sounds like a well-written coming of age story that deals with racial discrimination and abuse. Great review!
lesler
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lesler.html
Latest Review: Confrontations by Donald J Williamson
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by lesler »

I read this book already, and adored it. The story set in rural Australia is superb, and will have you rooting for the main character and her family.
MsTri
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1033
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Post by MsTri »

Thanks for the very thorough review, but I just don't care for coming-of-age stories, especially ones with themes of bullying and discrimination. I therefore will NOT be reading this book.
Kister Bless
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kister-bless.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by Kister Bless »

I read this book and it was just amazing. I would recommend it to readers who love coming of age novels. Great review!
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies . . . The man who never reads lives only one.” – George R.R. Martin.
khandzz09
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-khandzz09.html
Latest Review: Oblivion Threshold by J.R. Mabry and B.J. West

Post by khandzz09 »

This book can be read by anyone. This portrays some certain situations we can see in the society. I appreciate the use of words of the author. Congrats to the Book of the Day. Thank you for this review.
“Think before you speak. Read before you think.”
― Fran Lebowitz, The Fran Lebowitz Reader :techie-studyinggray:
Laura Ungureanu
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading: The Guardians of Erum and the Calamitous Child of Socotra
Bookshelf Size: 1392
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-ungureanu.html
Latest Review: Love and Marriage by Arthur Hartz

Post by Laura Ungureanu »

Natty is a great example of woman power. I am happy to see this book as BOTD. A coming-of-age story about a young girl of Aborigine root who lives with her alcoholic father.
sanykip
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanykip.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

Post by sanykip »

This an awesome review. I love reading books with stories like this.
Cristina Chifane
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 898
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-chifane.html
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Cristina Chifane »

I have read this book when it was BOTM and I loved its simplicity and the pervading sadness hidden in Natalie's struggle to survive the consequences of a traumatic childhood. Thanks for your review!
"The madness of writing is the antidote to true madness." (Hanif Kureishi)
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”