Review by Haily94 -- Mistress Suffragette by Diana Forbes

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Haily94
Favorite Author: Sarah J. Maas
Currently Reading: Jane Eyre
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-haily94.html
Latest Review: Mistress Suffragette by Diana Forbes
fav_author_id: 2719

Review by Haily94 -- Mistress Suffragette by Diana Forbes

Post by Haily94 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Mistress Suffragette" by Diana Forbes.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Mistress Suffragette by Diana Forbes is a historical fiction written in a classical style. It follows the protagonist of the novel Penelope Stanton, during the gilded age in Newport, Rhode Island. The novel begins with the impoverished Stanton's attending a ball where the main objective is for Penelope to find a suitor of good standing. At this Memorial Day Ball is where we meet our antagonist Edgar Daggers. Throughout the story Penelope must maneuver the villainous advances of the daggers, all while on a journey of self discovery and coming of age.

This book was a very fast read for me. The writing style was very fluid, and easy to follow. I was always aware of what setting I was in, and what character was speaking. The sequence of events was easy to follow. I loved Penelope and Verdanda’s relationship; their relationship was so natural and believable I felt like I was reading about actual friends. The same could be said about the world, time, and character building. I felt like this was a true retelling of a historical event. I felt like these could be real events, that happened to real people, and that's always refreshing to read.

The protagonist experienced many relatable obstacles while on her path of self discovery. She had very real human attributes that any woman or even man could relate to. As for the antagonist he was as villainous and Penelope was naive. As the story progressed you might have moments of understanding, but never fear the disgust will soon return.

Despite all the great things about this book there were some things I did not like. One of them being Penelope’s tendency to let people walk all over her. She did grow as a character, but there were many times throughout the book when she just let people run her over, or she let he feelings get the best of all. It was good that these things were added because it makes the story more realistic but it did cause frustration.

I rate this book a 4 out of 4 stars. This was an excellent book. The writing was great, and flowed naturally; The Character development was also fluid and natural. The overall writing allowed for an immersive experience while reading and was the main reason for the rating of this book.

Mistress Suffragette
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Haily94's review? Post a comment saying so!
Freshydopyyoung
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7

Post by Freshydopyyoung »

I love this very enjoyable to re read all over again of Diana Forbes.I rate it 5 stars.
1ditzyrn
Favorite Book: Desire
Currently Reading: Daisies and Dragon Slayers In The Equator
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-1ditzyrn.html
Latest Review: Genesis (The Infinity Series, Vol.2) by Bellamy Westbay
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by 1ditzyrn »

Thanks for such an honest review. I am recently getting in to historical fiction, and from your review I feel I must add this one to my To Read list. Thanks again!
Mimiof3
Currently Reading: How To Capture A Duke
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mimiof3.html
Latest Review: Mistress Suffragette by Diana Forbes

Post by Mimiof3 »

This was a wonderful review. I am completely historical fiction. Very rarely do I deviate from this genre. Your review makes me want to give this book as well as the author a chance. Fingers crossed that I'll like it.
kclarke07
Favorite Author: John Flanagan
Currently Reading: McDowell
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kclarke07.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
Reading Device: B01EUC7NPI
fav_author_id: 4299

Post by kclarke07 »

Thank you for such a great review. Concise, yet filled with honest depth and a wonderful summation without the *SPOILERS*. (As a doctor who fan I always love hearing that word as she says it). I am now looking into this book as a future read!
Britty01
Favorite Book: Will's Red Coat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-britty01.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Britty01 »

I enjoyed the insightful review. I was not sure what to think of Verdana early on, she seemed to get a little too close to Penelope's personal space at first. Then I perceived it as her way of getting the attention of her audience. It did help push Penelope to step out of her comfort zone. I agree with the comment regarding Penelope's character.

"One of them being Penelope’s tendency to let people walk all over her. She did grow as a character, but there were many times throughout the book when she just let people run her over, or she let he feelings get the best of all."

In the end, I felt that part of the plot helped make the growth in Penelope's decision-making abilities stand out.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”