Overall rating and opinion of "Apollo's Raven"

Use this forum to discuss the September Book of the Month "Apollo's Raven" by Linnea Tanner.
Mairi_07
Bookshelf Size: 0

Final portion

Post by Mairi_07 »

Why wasn't Vala part of the prisoner exchange? Wouldn't a loving father make sure she got out safe? Did she even survive being a Roman hostage? I understand this is the first installment of a series, and yet I find these unanswered questions detracted so much from the story, I gave it a lower score. If some of these items were addressed, it would seem a much more professional book. I have read many books from different series, and most of those books could also stand alone. This one could not.
jhalwix
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jhalwix.html
Latest Review: First Lessons by Lina J. Potter

Post by jhalwix »

I think the book was good overall. The historical references in the story are from one of my favorite time periods and the plot definitely kept you engaged. The characters could have used a little more build up with their relationships. Overall, I give this a 3 out of 4 stars and would recommend to others.
sanykip
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanykip.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

Post by sanykip »

This book is really awesome. Books dealing with historical fiction are really one of my best.
Katerina Katapodi
Favorite Author: Rin Chupeco
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3829

Post by Katerina Katapodi »

This Nice and Great book is not a usual ordinary book. Being between Literature and History, the book is challenging to read from many points of view. Thus: it shows the role of history and traditions and how this book treats these subjects, especially when religion also is involved. The prejudice of ''curse'' here, shows, that noone is responsible for the past, however the past affects us in a most determinist way; The break of ''curse'' of princess Katrine, is most common one and treats this subject successfully.
We are not responsible for the past, this is sure, but we inherit it in many ways.
The struggle of princess between her single personality, and tradition-prejudice, shows us that we are not alone in this world, and mainly we cannot almost always be free and independent.There are many taboos in society, that unfortunately, they engage interests in fact, and how compromize and obedience some times can destry our life. We struggle between values and prejudice and love and not love, our personality is opressed, and we cannot feel free to choose, what is worst things of all: We have some times to compromise with others, and actually we most always we do, what others want, in order to serve their interests, and cannot hear the voice of our trueself and voice of our conscience. Yes, society is a whole system of people, and hierarchy, where, our true internal needs, like the love of princess here to a man, and also her folks is shadowed by the other's interests, turned to needs of them, actually a battle where, the ''strongest one'' prevails! A struggle between moral and material values, where materialism seems to triumph many times, and moral values go aside and ignored, as something ''not permitted'' in this world! The prejudice also that Katrine has to solve the spell on her, in a most unusual strage way, (from Ancient ''Druids''), bring her to another big adverture in life,where she may finally not get the solution to her problems, by overshadowing her happiness, for what? Finally, she's not even free to choose her life, her priorities are substituted from will and ''values'' of others, she becomes finally this way, a ''spawn'' of others, just a 'productive unity'', and not a human being like all, to be able to meet her own in hit case, internal'' needs. Even love is forbidden, then how love can be condemned some times!!! Life goes to fast, to have always the luxury not to live it! In this case, she's just a being like all others, but has anyone felt soemtimes, that all people have the same rights because they have ''same needs''?
Which way has Katrine to follow? Just break the spell the way it's suggested to her! What will follow next??!
Yes the book is realistic and nice and interesting to read. Let everyone draw his own conclusions, there are many of them, and one is entiled to finally draw HIS OWN and only ''Own'' conclusion! This can be called freedom os spirit, although Katrine is not yet free in life practically..
I give of course 4 Stars to this book, well written, descriptive, full of adventure and the ''unpredictable'' that fortunately dominates in life, by brining solutions in the right time.. God's Wisdom and Providence? Or laws of history and nature? Or both of them? What is the role finally of free will in life? Does free will exist and to what extent? Or everything is just necessity? Or a combination of both of them?
Shalomsamuels1
Favorite Book: Worm
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shalomsamuels1.html
Latest Review: Executive Hoodlum by John Costello

Post by Shalomsamuels1 »

I felt the book was underdeveloped. The magic system and the characters felt clobbered together rather than harmonious. The writing was pretty good. The love story was well-written but there was no preamble. they saw each other and were madly in love. 3 out of 4.
Kioko08
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Kioko08 »

I loved the book. It was a travel in time and I admired the author's detailed descriptions of ancient civilizations. I didn't like the way the romance between Catrin and Marcellus was built, but perhaps I'm too fussy when it comes to romance. Nevertheless, I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars and I recommend it to people who love historical books with a twist of fantasy.
Kirigwi254
Currently Reading: Black Sheep
Bookshelf Size: 8

Post by Kirigwi254 »

This is one of my favorite books of 2018, so far. I love the romance, deception, mythology, the description of the ancient civilization, I love every aspect of the book. When incorporated with the prophecies, it gets a Harry Potter feel and who doesn't love Harry Potter? This is why I gave it a 4 out of 4 rating. I would recommend it to virtually anyone since its versatile for many readers.
CommMayo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

Mairi_07 wrote: 25 Sep 2018, 00:55 Why wasn't Vala part of the prisoner exchange? Wouldn't a loving father make sure she got out safe? Did she even survive being a Roman hostage? I understand this is the first installment of a series, and yet I find these unanswered questions detracted so much from the story, I gave it a lower score. If some of these items were addressed, it would seem a much more professional book. I have read many books from different series, and most of those books could also stand alone. This one could not.
Good point about Vala...they did seem to forget about her rather quickly. I had wished that this novel could act as a stand alone as well. The ending was way too open ended for me. Even the best series authors have a way to bring up some sort of conclusion for each installment of a series.
Jillpillbooknerd
Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 1908
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jillpillbooknerd.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Jillpillbooknerd »

I wasn't really sure going into this book if I was going to like it or not. I'm really glad that I gave it a chance because I ended up really liking it! I'm excited to read the next book in the series to see where the story goes.
joellas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joellas.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by joellas »

I did not Intend to read the book, but my curiosity has been spiked with the conflicting reviews I have read. The book has generated so much controversy am willing to give it a try will come back and post my observations when am through reading it.
Brahmarashimhdew
Currently Reading: War Serenade
Bookshelf Size: 38

Post by Brahmarashimhdew »

Apollo revens a attack and parade is the story in which the Kings the story of Rehana, a queen find a the prince and Princess of the love story of elegant description Meta this story, see pure and magic spells of the finest jugalbandi mile it story bits out of and I this story read, Please enjoy the experience and I believe that this story as this story, is described in the historic love affair, magic etc. the rich the most multi.
stalliongirlke
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stalliongirlke.html
Latest Review: Learn to Play Guitar by Gareth Evans

Post by stalliongirlke »

Iam yet to read the book so i cant rate it at this point in time. Other people's rating will go along way in onfluencing my decision
Asavela
Favorite Book: Island Games
Currently Reading: Journey of a Bedroom Poet
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asavela.html
Latest Review: Barbra Streisand: On the Couch by Alma H. Bond, Ph.D.

Post by Asavela »

I love how you guys rated the book. Iam very interested in reviewing this book my my score doesn't allow me.
Echo Haapala
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-echo-haapala.html
Latest Review: Poseidon's Eye by Trisha O'Keefe

Post by Echo Haapala »

I liked this book. I think the other did a great job creating the storyline and included a lot of details that made the book flow. I would definitely recommend it to anyone looking for a love story or magical tone.
Spath
Currently Reading: Decide Success
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spath.html
Latest Review: If life stinks get your head outta your buts by Mark L. Wdowiak

Post by Spath »

I haven't read this book as of yet. I do enjoy historical/fiction and after reading some of the comments of people that have read the book; I will keep this book in mind.
There is nothing to writing. All you have to do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed.
Ernest Hemingway

Return to “Discuss "Apollo's Raven" by Linnea Tanner”