Review by Kajori50 -- The Witch of Endor by RK Wheeler

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kajori Sheryl Paul
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 958
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kajori-sheryl-paul.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber

Review by Kajori50 -- The Witch of Endor by RK Wheeler

Post by Kajori Sheryl Paul »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Witch of Endor" by RK Wheeler.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Witch of Endor: Vampires is the first instalment of the wonderful series penned by R.K. Wheeler. Wheeler masterfully intersperses myriad elements from the Bible, Greek mythology, and paranormal lore to create this brilliant paranormal romance.

This magical tale tells the story of a girl named Lilith, who has the ability to communicate with ghosts. When she reaches puberty, she becomes the wielder of a powerful magic. As a result, her parents move to the town of Endor. With time, she gains better control of her magic, and opens up a shop. However, circumstances force her to flee Endor and take refuge in Mount Moreh. There, she meets the mysterious Lamech. But to her disgruntlement, he only visits her at night. During the nights, Lamech’s love becomes Lilith's “heart's desire”, but her mornings are plagued with doubts. Finally, she decides to investigate Lamech's whereabouts. Little did she know that her quest for love would change her life forever.

Yes, I admit that the premise was cliché due to the presence of the age-old tiff between vampires and werewolves. However, that was more than redeemed by the commendable narrative style employed by the author. Each chapter starts with a poem which foreshadows the events that follow. Wheeler uses her words to captivate the readers and transport them to a dark magical realm. In a span of fourteen chapters, he takes the reader on an entrancing journey across ancient Israel and Greece. I also liked the way the book ended at a cliff-hanger. It leaves many questions unanswered, and makes the reader wait with bated breath for the sequel.

I have to mention that Wheeler does a wonderful job at characterization. All the characters are beautifully developed and are not merely type characters. I found the author to be very brave as he took many creative liberties in giving differing identities to vastly known characters of the Bible and Greek mythology.

I find Wheeler's use of third person point of view to be perfect as it gives a detailed insight into the minds of the various characters. The protagonist Lilith is truly one of her kind. We see myriad shades of her. However, her role as a mother truly stole the show for me. No matter how powerful her love for Lamech is, her affection for her child trumps all. She does not recoil from her gorgon daughters. In fact, she cherishes them, and protects them with all her heart. Lamech is also a well developed character. Cursed to be the very first vampire, after accidently killing Cain, he is truly a tortured soul. Though, I have to mention that it was Medusa who touched my heart. Abandonment by her father had made her insecure. In addition to that, her turning her suitors into stone made her always question herself. All she longed for was a companion. However, this did not turn her into a shrinking violet. Whenever the need arose, she fought with an enviable determination.

The book could have been a bit more engrossing for me without the few grammar and typographical errors that were present. For instance, in one place “Zeus" was typed “Zues", and “borne" was written as “born". I believe the book would be absolutely perfect after a round of editing and proofreading.

Keeping in mind the pros and cons, I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. Despite a few errors, Wheeler does a marvellous job of creating a magical tale that would be a treat to anyone having a keen interest in all things paranormal and a passion for romance, and mythology. However, I do not think that staunch Christians or stickers of History will like this book very much. I recommend this book to anyone willing to immerse themselves in a world of myths, mythology, and romance.

The Witch of Endor
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Kajori50's review? Post a comment saying so!
Allyseria
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-allyseria.html
Latest Review: Choosing Happiness by Emily Hunter Slingluff

Post by Allyseria »

Thank you for your review. I have read the book and was wondering what other people thought about the book, and I agree with everything you mentioned in your review. The characters were beautifully written - they all came to life for me :)
Kajori Sheryl Paul

Allyseria wrote: 20 Sep 2018, 13:45 Thank you for your review. I have read the book and was wondering what other people thought about the book, and I agree with everything you mentioned in your review. The characters were beautifully written - they all came to life for me :)
Thank you so much for your feedback. I am glad that we are in accord. :D
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Post by Helen_Combe »

Great review, I don’t think I’ve ever come across a Bible, Greek Myth, vampire werewolf crossover before!
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
jcoad
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jcoad.html
Latest Review: True Blue Friend by Roy DeMauro

Post by jcoad »

Wow, this book has a lot going on. Sounds very interesting with lots of twists and different types of characters. I'm still on the fence but will add it to my bookshelf for future reference. Thanks for a very thorough and informative review!
Kajori Sheryl Paul

Helen_Combe wrote: 20 Sep 2018, 14:58 Great review, I don’t think I’ve ever come across a Bible, Greek Myth, vampire werewolf crossover before!
It is a unique blend. Thank you so much. :D
Kajori Sheryl Paul

jcoad wrote: 20 Sep 2018, 20:37 Wow, this book has a lot going on. Sounds very interesting with lots of twists and different types of characters. I'm still on the fence but will add it to my bookshelf for future reference. Thanks for a very thorough and informative review!
It does have a lot of twists. Thank you so much. :)
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

Sounds like a fast-paced read with a lot going on. Glad you enjoyed it, though it is a shame about the errors. Great review!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
Kajori Sheryl Paul

Cotwani wrote: 22 Sep 2018, 11:45 Sounds like a fast-paced read with a lot going on. Glad you enjoyed it, though it is a shame about the errors. Great review!

It is very fast-paced. Thank you so much for your feedback. :)
Bianka Walter
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

I've been wanting to read this one since I saw it, and your review just pushed me over the edge. This is definitely my next read.
Thanks for the awesome review!
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
Kajori Sheryl Paul

Bianka Walter wrote: 22 Sep 2018, 13:48 I've been wanting to read this one since I saw it, and your review just pushed me over the edge. This is definitely my next read.
Thanks for the awesome review!
Thank you so much for your lovely comments. Hope you will enjoy it. :D
Dolor
Favorite Author: Craig R. Key
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12473
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dolor.html
Latest Review: The Center of Gravity by Patricia Brandon
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 115430

Post by Dolor »

When this book appeared on my available books for review, I would've wanted to pick it up. Sad to say, I can't redeem books through kindle gifts; Amazon usually popped up an error saying that the book can't be redeemed in my country.

The book seemed interesting, but the cliffhanger made me grateful that I had not read it. Cliffhanger is a major turn-off for me.

Thanks for the honest review.
Kajori Sheryl Paul

Dolor wrote: 23 Sep 2018, 17:28 When this book appeared on my available books for review, I would've wanted to pick it up. Sad to say, I can't redeem books through kindle gifts; Amazon usually popped up an error saying that the book can't be redeemed in my country.

The book seemed interesting, but the cliffhanger made me grateful that I had not read it. Cliffhanger is a major turn-off for me.

Thanks for the honest review.
Thank you so much for stopping by. :)
Julie Green
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-green.html
Latest Review: Fate Line by Marc J. Seifer

Post by Julie Green »

Paranormal romance is not a genre that would normally spring to my mind when choosing a book, but this one does sound like a lot of fun and feels like one of those guilty pleasure books! :o

Great review!
Kajori Sheryl Paul

Julie Green wrote: 24 Sep 2018, 14:01 Paranormal romance is not a genre that would normally spring to my mind when choosing a book, but this one does sound like a lot of fun and feels like one of those guilty pleasure books! :o

Great review!
I agree with you. Thank you so much. :D

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”