Review by Manali_DC -- The Girl Who Knew da Vinci

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Manali_DC
Currently Reading: A Little Life
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manali-dc.html
Latest Review: Flat Top Mountain Ranch -- the beginning by James E Doucette

Review by Manali_DC -- The Girl Who Knew da Vinci

Post by Manali_DC »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Girl Who Knew da Vinci" by Belle Ami.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Take the ingredients of a missing painting by Leonardo da Vinci, the powerful Medici family and three generations of star-crossed lovers and you have the recipe for an unforgettable, unputdownable suspense thriller, The Girl Who Knew da Vinci by Belle Ami.

Angela Renatus, an art historian, interning at the prestigious Getty Museum is deeply unhappy and troubled. What should have been a feather in her cap and a dream job has quickly turned into a nightmare, mainly due to her tyrant boss, Dr. Alberto Scordato. To top everything, she has not been sleeping well for months because of a series of recurring, strange and vivid dreams involving Giuliano de' Medici and his mistress Fioretta Gorini.

Enter the picture Alex Caine, an army veteran and art detective who has been hired to find a painting by Leonardo da Vinci - a painting whose existence was kept a secret from the very beginning. Alex's first encounter with Angela happens over rather strange circumstances - he sees Angela at the Getty Museum, having an intense conversation with a painting of Giuliano de' Medici - an event about which Angela has no recollection later. Alex persuades Angela to work with him and use her expertise and knowledge of the works of Leonardo da Vinci to help him locate the painting. Their quest takes them to Florence and then on to the picturesque, ancient village of Montefioralle in the Chianti hills.

Meanwhile, Angela's dreams take on an almost life-like quality and she begins to realize that these may be more than just dreams. They seem to be stories and clues from past lives that slowly reveal the truth behind the painting and what happened to it. They also reveal a connection between Angela and Alex and it almost seems like they were destined to be together.

However, danger is never far behind. Scordato knows about Angela's visions and connections to the past and he wants the painting for himself and will stop at nothing to get it. Angela and Alex find themselves in an unreal situation where the lines between the past and the present begin to blur. They must decipher the dreams, free themselves from the burdens of the past and stay one step ahead of their enemies.

This book had me hooked from Chapter One and I could not put it down till I had read it all. The story-telling is crisp and fast-paced and flows smoothly from past to present. The book has two main characters, Angela and Alex - almost all the secondary characters are ghosts from the past! But all their stories are touching and beautifully written. The chemistry between Alex and Angela deserves special mention. While there is a sense of inevitability and destiny in their being together, the author still manages to write them a fresh, new, sweet modern romance, free from the burden of the past.

I do not have much to offer in way of criticism of the book. I enjoyed reading it. I especially liked how, at the end, the author hints that this may not be the last we have seen of Angela and her visions. I give The Girl Who Knew da Vinci 4 out of 4 stars and recommend it to anyone looking for a good story to read.

The Girl Who Knew da Vinci
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Manali_DC's review? Post a comment saying so!
readandsmile
Currently Reading: Boom! A Revolting Situation
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readandsmile.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by readandsmile »

Hmmm, the title of the book makes wonder if this book looks like the one I watch on movie. Thanks for saying so.
Reading is an antidote for...
Anger
Burdens
Discouragement
Fears
Hopelessness
Loneliness
Sadness
Tiredness
Manali_DC

Post by Manali_DC »

If you are thinking of the Da Vinci code, I must say this book isn't anything like that! But I rather felt this book would make a far better movie than the Da Vinci Code!
kapila muleshz
Currently Reading: Final Notice
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kapila muleshz »

the cover of the book is eye catching nd interesting nd also well edited it can definitely be well viewed if turned into a movie
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

It sounds like a good mystery.
Manali_DC

Post by Manali_DC »

kapila muleshz wrote: 20 Jun 2018, 15:00 the cover of the book is eye catching nd interesting nd also well edited it can definitely be well viewed if turned into a movie
Yes!! I thought along similar lines when I read the book-- it would actually make a good movie! As the locations mentioned in the book are naturally beautiful places- one being Rome and the other in the Chianti hills-- it would make for a visually pleasing prospect!
Manali_DC

Post by Manali_DC »

teacherjh wrote: 29 Jun 2018, 16:08 It sounds like a good mystery.
It is a fast-paced and interesting mystery! You would have to be prepared for quite a bit of romance woven into the mystery though!
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

It's a beautiful historical mystery book. All characters have their part to make this book a wonderful peace of literature. Thanks for your interesting review.
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕
Manali_DC

Post by Manali_DC »

Sarah Tariq wrote: 07 Jul 2018, 02:10 It's a beautiful historical mystery book. All characters have their part to make this book a wonderful peace of literature. Thanks for your interesting review.
Thank you!! Indeed, all the characters are very interesting and without these "ghosts from the past" the story would not be half as interesting!
Fozia-Bajwa
Currently Reading: The Newton Code
Bookshelf Size: 263
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fozia-bajwa.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Fozia-Bajwa »

I read the review of the book The girl who knew da Vinci is written by Belle Ame. It's a love story of Angela and Alex. Mysticism, secrets and painting by Vinci is shown in the story. Past life regression is also shown. Thanks for the good review.
Manali_DC

Post by Manali_DC »

Fozia-Bajwa wrote: 19 Sep 2018, 06:42 I read the review of the book The girl who knew da Vinci is written by Belle Ame. It's a love story of Angela and Alex. Mysticism, secrets and painting by Vinci is shown in the story. Past life regression is also shown. Thanks for the good review.
Thank you! I really enjoyed reading it!!
Dael Reader
Currently Reading: The Story of Arthur Truluv
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dael-reader.html
Latest Review: Extraordinary Stories From Everyday People (and me) by Les Clark
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Dael Reader »

This book is nothing like The Da Vinci Code. The Da Vinci Code had a wonderful mystery with strong capable characters. This book has a tenuous plot with characters who barely have time between sex scenes to devote much effort to solving a mystery. If Angela didn't have those flashbacks, they never would have figured it out. So much for that art history degree.
Manali_DC

Post by Manali_DC »

Dael Reader wrote: 21 Sep 2018, 15:22 This book is nothing like The Da Vinci Code. The Da Vinci Code had a wonderful mystery with strong capable characters. This book has a tenuous plot with characters who barely have time between sex scenes to devote much effort to solving a mystery. If Angela didn't have those flashbacks, they never would have figured it out. So much for that art history degree.
The trouble with the book is it's title- while it definitely is attention grabbing, it also gives an impression that it would be something like the Da Vinci code! The reader expects symbology hidden in paintings, brilliant detecting and a lot of well researched information. Very early on in this book, I realised it is none of these things, it is actually a romance. After that I read it and enjoyed it as such. However, I do agree that the ghosts solved the mystery- Angela and her art degree had very little to do with it!! Ha!! Ha!!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”