Review by Oulababe -- Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Oulababe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oulababe.html
Latest Review: Invisible Me by H M Irwing

Review by Oulababe -- Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by Oulababe »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Toni the Superhero" by R.D. Base.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I think a lot of us grew up believing certain stereotypes about superheroes. I thought they were supposed to be strong and muscular. I also thought that doing extraordinary things, like lifting vehicles, is what made them heroes. I'll admit that when I was a kid, I held the superficial white superhero stereotype. All the heroes that aired on films were white, and all the books about superheroes featured white superheroes. Honestly, I'd love my kids to grow up believing in the real attributes of a superhero. I believe Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base will set a lot of children on the right path. R.D. Base is the mother of three young boys. She dedicates the book to her family for being her inspiration.

Toni is an African American superhero. He's around five years old. He wears a superhero suit and cap, but he loves doing very ordinary things. He plays with his friends, and he helps around the house. He also loves to rescue animals. The book has 30 pages filled with well-drawn illustrations of Toni's hobbies. Each page has only one sentence. The sentences state what Toni loves to do.
Toni likes to read. Toni likes to dust.
Toni loves doing ordinary things that aren't so ordinary for children. First, it’s not very ordinary to find a little boy that wants to help with housework. Second, a lot of children don't play outside the house. There are drawings of Toni eating healthy food like fruits and vegetables. I think this would encourage kids to embrace healthy eating habits. Toni is an impeccable role model for his peers. This book contains many moral lessons for kids. The fact that Toni is an African American superhero helps kids to appreciate diversity. I'd like to compare this book to Black Panther. They redefined the idea of a superhero in the film industry, and I think Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base is doing the same. African American superheroes exist too, and they're just as amazing as white superheroes. It's what is on the inside that matters.

This book is really entertaining. It would make a fun bedtime story. I love that there are upcoming sequels. I hope they will be just as insightful.

Some of the things Toni loves doing are dangerous. For example, the illustration where Toni loves to jump. He is drawn jumping on tree stumps. I think that would be a very dangerous game for children under seven years to try. If they missed one tree stump while jumping from one to the other, they could fall and get injured. I'd recommend parental guidance for this hobby.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. Despite the minor issue with the jumping hobby, the story has some of the most important lessons a child should learn. As I mentioned, there's an easy solution to the flaw, which is parental guidance. It is a very helpful and entertaining children's book. I recommend the book to children of 0-10 years.

Toni the Superhero
View: on Bookshelves | on Smashwords

Like Oulababe's review? Post a comment saying so!
LaurenHaupt
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laurenhaupt.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by LaurenHaupt »

Great review! Good point with the jumping part. I thought it was a good book too. I think a lot of kids would like it.
:techie-studyingbrown:
Beth KG
Favorite Book: Time and Again
Currently Reading: Practice the Jealous Arts
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-beth-kg.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by Beth KG »

Oulababe wrote: 20 Sep 2018, 11:37 [Following is a volunteer review of "Toni the Superhero" by R.D. Base.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I think a lot of us grew up believing certain stereotypes about superheroes. I thought they were supposed to be strong and muscular. I also thought that doing extraordinary things, like lifting vehicles, is what made them heroes. I'll admit that when I was a kid, I held the superficial white superhero stereotype.

Some of the things Toni loves doing are dangerous. For example, the illustration where Toni loves to jump. He is drawn jumping on tree stumps. I think that would be a very dangerous game for children under seven years to try. If they missed one tree stump while jumping from one to the other, they could fall and get injured. I'd recommend parental guidance for this hobby.

Toni the Superhero
View: on Bookshelves | on Smashwords

Like Oulababe's review? Post a comment saying so!
Great review and it's different from the others I have read about this book! I especially like the part about growing up thinking that superheroes have to be strong and muscular. I also like that you pointed out that jumping on tree stumps holds potential dangers. Keep up the good work! :)

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”