Review by Britty01 -- Mistress Suffragette by Diana Forbes

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Britty01
Favorite Book: Will's Red Coat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-britty01.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Review by Britty01 -- Mistress Suffragette by Diana Forbes

Post by Britty01 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Mistress Suffragette" by Diana Forbes.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

“The best protection any woman can have is courage.” – Elizabeth Cady Stanton.

Imagine your life having to attend society balls with your mother, along with her schemes to find a wealthy partner for you to marry. You feel her watching every move as you try to appear to be enjoying the evening. The stress factor might go up a bit if you were the eldest of three daughters. You know they are waiting their turn to look for romance. As the eldest you are expected to secure a marriage partner first. You might feel like you had a proverbial gun to your head. This is the situation for our protagonist, Penelope, in Mistress Suffragette by Diana Forbes. The book is a work of Historical fiction and romance, but more importantly, it demonstrates how our protagonist moves from a self-deprecating young person into a strong woman. She becomes aware of her self-worth fully capable of asserting herself when needed.

Penelope comes from an upper-middle-class family with traditional values. She is expected to marry well or gain a suitable teaching position enabling her self-sufficiency. She is seventeen years old, on the cusp of womanhood. It is 1893; the banking system is in turmoil affecting both the family and her prospects for a good marriage. After being introduced to Mr. and Mrs. Daggers, by her cousin Sam, she finds their proposal of assistance is not what it seems. She runs away with her friend Lucinda to Boston.

Lucinda introduces Penelope to the Women’s Suffragist movement. At one of these meetings, they meet Verdana who is speaking in favor of rational dress. She prefers bloomers as they allow for freedom of movement. Verdana believes the women's traditional dress is restrictive and unhealthy. Penelope is fond of bustles and layers of skirts. Will Verdana persuade Penelope to throw them off and choose the path to freedom?

Forbes’s writing style is enjoyable and witty. Along with well-developed characters, this combination provides a story that is lively and entertaining. The themes in the book are timeless. Blending historical facts and fiction the author describes the conditions that many of the suffragists may have found themselves in. The vivid details of the locations, filthy streets, squalid conditions, sights, and smells, are carefully crafted to bring this story to life.

My favorite character was Mrs. Amy Van Buren. She was influential in New York’s high society and a strong supporter of the Suffragist campaign. She was the mother figure, Penelope did not have. Amy encouraged Penelope, protected her and helped her to find a passion for the movement. I felt she made a difference in Penelope's life, a difference that was not motivated by self-interest.

I also appreciated Penelope’s character. I enjoyed seeing her transition as she matured into a young woman, courageous and steadfast in her beliefs. Forbes reveals Penelope’s struggles with her feelings and the attraction of Mr. Daggers. I like how the author depicts the conflicting emotions Penelope experiences. Forbes expressed it best through Penelope’s thoughts, “It’s been said that if women could remember the pain of childbirth, we’d never have more than one child. And maybe my feelings for Mr. Daggers were like that, too.” That helped me to understand her character in a more complete way. When Penelope stands up to a detractor at one of the Suffragist rallies, this seems to be a turning point for Penelope. Slowly, she finds her way and her courage, challenging those that would harm her or the ones she cares about in both a commendable and amusing fashion.

Penelope’s mother was comical in her relentless pursuit of a wealthy suitor for her eldest daughter. Verdana appears to be a strong character. However, as the plot unfolds, her weakness is revealed. The secondary characters are equally multifaceted and well-developed. The author displays an amazing talent for bringing out a character’s good qualities as well as their less endearing ones.

I did not locate any major grammatical errors in this novel. It appears to be professionally edited. I found nothing in the book that did not appeal to me, though there did seem to be a lack of a strong male character. The execution of the story was remarkably well done, bringing all pieces of the plot neatly together. The ending was both satisfying and surprising. My rating is 4 out of 4 stars.

I would recommend it to those who like Historical Fiction, a light romance, or a story with strong female characters. I would caution that this book does deal with physical abuse, though I did not find it to be overly graphic in nature.

Mistress Suffragette
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Britty01's review? Post a comment saying so!
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

It's unimaginable that there was a time young people or women for that matter, actually preferred bloomers, bustles, and layers of skirts! Penelope's journey sounds witty and exciting. Activism usually provides humorous reading. Thanks for the great review!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

I absolutely enjoyed reading your review. I have been meaning to read this book for a long time, and your review just convinced me to do so. I cannot imagine how claustrophobic Penelope must have felt during her mother's reign. It is really inspiring to see her come out as an assertive woman. It seems that the author has sketched every character masterfully. I would love this book. Thanks again for the review!
Espie
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

It is quite interesting to note how societal norms and practices evolve over time. Interpretation of circumstances and events could also vary depending on one's vantage point. What shouldn't change, though, is our propensity to strive towards what's better. Thank you for bringing out what's good in this book and its story.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs
Britty01
Currently Reading:

Post by Britty01 »

Cotwani wrote: 19 Sep 2018, 01:46 It's unimaginable that there was a time young people or women for that matter, actually preferred bloomers, bustles, and layers of skirts! Penelope's journey sounds witty and exciting. Activism usually provides humorous reading. Thanks for the great review!
Thank you for reading the review and commenting.
Britty01
Currently Reading:

Post by Britty01 »

Espie wrote: 19 Sep 2018, 23:29 It is quite interesting to note how societal norms and practices evolve over time. Interpretation of circumstances and events could also vary depending on one's vantage point. What shouldn't change, though, is our propensity to strive towards what's better. Thank you for bringing out what's good in this book and its story.
Britty01
Currently Reading:

Post by Britty01 »

Shrabastee wrote: 19 Sep 2018, 05:49 I absolutely enjoyed reading your review. I have been meaning to read this book for a long time, and your review just convinced me to do so. I cannot imagine how claustrophobic Penelope must have felt during her mother's reign. It is really inspiring to see her come out as an assertive woman. It seems that the author has sketched every character masterfully. I would love this book. Thanks again for the review!
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

You’ve done a great job of describing Penelope’s situation and transformation. Timeless themes with a blend of historical fiction and fact and well-drawn characters make this a desirable book to read! Thanks for your informative review!
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a
Ruba Abu Ali
Currently Reading: Notes on a Nervous Planet
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruba-abu-ali.html
Latest Review: Grammar for a Full Life: How the Ways We Shape a Sentence Can Limit or Enlarge Us by Lawrence Weinstein

Post by Ruba Abu Ali »

What a wonderful review! Your insight got me into reading this book. Thank you. :tiphat:

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”