Official Review: Templar Secrets by Andreas Economou

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Official Review: Templar Secrets by Andreas Economou

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Templar Secrets" by Andreas Economou.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Templar Secrets is an exciting historical fiction about the Knights Templar and the Freemasonry written by Andreas Economou.

The book is told in the third person perspective and alternately between four different timelines for four storylines. It features George Makrides, a 28-year-old Mathematics professor at a local university in Cyprus, who is just initiated as an Entered Apprentice Freemason; Hiram, the Phoenician builder of King Solomon’s Temple; Father Pierre de Bologna and William de Grafton, founders and former Grand Masters of the Secret Society that would later be known as the Freemasonry; and Sir Hugh de Payns and Father Nicodemus, founders of the Poor Fellow-Soldiers of Jesus Christ and of the Temple of Solomon, also known as the Knights Templar or simply Templars.

This is a very interesting, highly entertaining, and really exciting book about the origin of the Knights Templar and the possible beginning of Freemasonry. By using historical events such as the Peasants’ Revolt and historical figures like Sir Francis Bacon, the author is able to make the book very convincing. Also, I find dividing the book into four storylines a great strategy as every chapter leaves a very important question, How does it fit into the entire plot? It makes the book a real page turner and keeps the readers wanting for more.

The author does a great job with the descriptions of settings for all given periods as well as with the dialogues by various characters. I find the dialogues fitting and the exchanges between characters engaging. The fictional characters have distinctive qualifications that make them just as interesting and as remarkable as the historical figures. Of all the fictional characters, I find George Makrides the most relatable. He is smart and kind. I find him reasonably tenacious with admirable determination, hunger for truth, and a natural tendency to do what is right.

On one hand, the most important part of the book is, naturally, the revelation of the location of the holy relic that the Templars, and eventually the Freemasons, have been protecting all this time. On the other hand, the part I like most is how George proves the extent of his devotion to his friend Alex.

Needless to say, I enjoyed this book immensely. It is well presented with historical facts carefully interwoven with fictional events and with a constant level of intrigue and suspense that keep the readers glued to every page.

However, other readers may find the alternating timelines difficult to follow and the number of names from different storylines quite confusing. Moreover, though it may not specifically require ample knowledge of the Bible, familiarity with Bible stories especially the story of King Solomon may help readers appreciate the book more. Finally, there are noticeable errors within the entire book which are, thankfully, very few.

I, therefore, rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. It is well-written, interesting, intriguing, and exciting. I recommend it to readers who enjoy historical fiction and those who are particularly interested with the stories about the Knights Templar and Freemasonry.

Templar Secrets
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like kimmyschemy06's review? Post a comment saying so!
Rosemary Khathibe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-khathibe.html
Latest Review: Robotic Warriors by Caglar Juan Singletary

Post by Rosemary Khathibe »

I'm not into historical books, but your enchanting review makes me think otherwise. I also like the fact that there are some stories from the Bible.
BLINKYNOEL36
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16

Post by BLINKYNOEL36 »

This is a book I would enjoy reading I really love historical pieces. I am interested in freemasons and the conspiracy theories that exist even today regarding the illuminati and a new world order.
Debjani Ghosh
Favorite Book: The Lord Of The Rings
Currently Reading: The Evacuees
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debjani-ghosh.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Debjani Ghosh »

I don't know anything about the Knights Templar and Freemasonry, however, your review has my interest piqued. It seems the book is a splendid example of historical fiction. I would like to familiarize myself with these topics and then go through this book to enjoy it better. Thanks for the detailed review!
HollandBlue
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hollandblue.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by HollandBlue »

I'm not familiar with the subject matter of this book and think I should learn more about it before attempting to read it. Conspiracy theories are of interest to me and your review makes the book sound intriguing.
:techie-studyinggray: when I get a little money I buy books; and if I have any left l buy food and clothes
Desiderius Erasmus Roterodamas
(1466-1536)
daydreaming reader
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daydreaming-reader.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by daydreaming reader »

I tend to be one of those who find the alternating timelines difficult to follow, but I like book likes these, especially when the authors effectively use historical facts to make the story seem more realistic. Thank you for your wonderful review.
"Without chaos, there can be no order"
- Heath D. Alberts
"You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star."
Friedrich Nietzsche
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Rosemary Khathibe wrote: 19 Sep 2018, 02:03 I'm not into historical books, but your enchanting review makes me think otherwise. I also like the fact that there are some stories from the Bible.
Thank you. I hope you get a chance to read it.
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

BLINKYNOEL36 wrote: 19 Sep 2018, 09:32 This is a book I would enjoy reading I really love historical pieces. I am interested in freemasons and the conspiracy theories that exist even today regarding the illuminati and a new world order.
This book may answer some of your questions. I hope you read it one of these days.
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Debjani Ghosh wrote: 19 Sep 2018, 10:42 I don't know anything about the Knights Templar and Freemasonry, however, your review has my interest piqued. It seems the book is a splendid example of historical fiction. I would like to familiarize myself with these topics and then go through this book to enjoy it better. Thanks for the detailed review!
You're welcome. I enjoyed reading the book as much as I enjoyed writing the review.
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

BookReader+6 wrote: 19 Sep 2018, 16:05 I'm not familiar with the subject matter of this book and think I should learn more about it before attempting to read it. Conspiracy theories are of interest to me and your review makes the book sound intriguing.
Thank you. It is an intriguing book.
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

daydreaming reader wrote: 19 Sep 2018, 17:17 I tend to be one of those who find the alternating timelines difficult to follow, but I like book likes these, especially when the authors effectively use historical facts to make the story seem more realistic. Thank you for your wonderful review.
Your welcome and thank you very much. I enjoyed this book a lot and I think other readers will enjoy it, too.
Sakilunamermaid
Currently Reading: Ready Player One
Bookshelf Size: 481
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Sakilunamermaid »

I find myself insanely curious about the Freemasons. I can't wait to see how the society changes. I also appreciate the third person perspective and the fact that multiple characters through time are followed/ their stories are told.
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Sakilunamermaid wrote: 19 Sep 2018, 21:03 I find myself insanely curious about the Freemasons. I can't wait to see how the society changes. I also appreciate the third person perspective and the fact that multiple characters through time are followed/ their stories are told.
You may enjoy this book, then. I hope you get a chance to read it.
EvaDar
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evadar.html
Latest Review: Do Not Wish For A Pet Ostrich! by Sarina Siebenaler

Post by EvaDar »

I am interested in the Freemasons and might enjoy this book, if I could keep up with the multiple points of view. Thanks for the introduction to this book.
sit in the ocean. it is one of the best medicines on the planet. – the water
-Nayyirah Waheed
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Eva Darrington wrote: 23 Sep 2018, 11:21 I am interested in the Freemasons and might enjoy this book, if I could keep up with the multiple points of view. Thanks for the introduction to this book.
You're welcome. I hope you get a chance to read it.

Return to “Historical Fiction”