Review by MsTri -- Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
MsTri
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1030
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Review by MsTri -- Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by MsTri »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Toni the Superhero" by R.D. Base.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Superman! Batman! Spiderman! Toni- Wait, who?! Toni the Superhero, that's who! In R.D. Base's delightful book, Toni is a little boy...er, superhero, who likes to do a number of things, including read and jump. He also likes to be helpful by sweeping and dusting. Hey, even superheroes do "normal" stuff!

In this book for the very young, there's no real plot to speak of because the tome is more about teaching youngsters to read simple words; think of it as a slight step up from Pat the Bunny. To that end, the book includes a lot of repetition since that's how children learn. But it's not all about fun and games. There's also a subtle lesson to be learned. The lesson is that helping around the house is fun, and even superheroes have to do mundane things from time to time.

I like that this book is prime material for bonding between children and their parents. As they read together, parents can disucss the fun activities their children like and perhaps compare the activities they like to the ones Toni likes. Parents can additionally take the opportunity to discuss chores around the house and how the child can do them with a smile like Toni does.

Since this book is for those aged 3-5, it's very important that the illustrations "pop" and they do in this book. Full-color pictures take up every page with the text easily readable as well. The pictures are appropriate for the accompanying words and give young readers plenty to look at; in fact, a couple of pictures don't even have words, they're just for looking at. In several instances, it's clear that the pictures are a continuation from the previous page and even though it's just okay in the .pdf version, I imagine that it makes for a very nice two-page spread in the print version.

To me, the single most important thing in a children's book is that the grammar is perfect. I'm happy to say that I noted zero errors or misspellings in this tale. Yay!

In addition to the lesson that helping and doing chores is fun, I like that the hero in question is a boy of color. In a genre where the superheros have historically been fair-skinned, it's important for little African-American children to see heroes who look like themselves. Since Black Panther is making a splash at the box office, the timing is on-point for our little hero.

The one thing that bothered me about this book - and it's my own idiosyncrasy - is the spelling of "Toni"; to me, Toni with an "i" is a girl's name, whereas a boy's name is spelled with a "y". Again, that's just me and how I view things.

I'd have to be an evil villain to give this book anything less than an A+, so my rating for Toni the Superhero is 4 out of 4 stars. I very highly recommend it for preschoolers and their parents, preschool-K teachers, and any adult who likes a simple read every once in a while.

And look up when you go outside. It may not be a bird or a plane or even Superman that you see in the sky; it may be Toni!

Toni the Superhero
View: on Bookshelves

Like MsTri's review? Post a comment saying so!
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Excellent review! I particularly enjoyed reading your opinions because I also read and reviewed this book. I am glad you mentioned the reason there is no plot is because it's more of a starter learn-to-read book. I have read a few reviews where the reviewer lowered the rating because the book didn't have much of a plot. That irked me because the author stated the purpose was to get kids to learn to read through a set of simple sentences.

I also thought the spelling of Toni makes it seem like a girl's name!
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 685
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

You did it again, MsTri! It seems you've been busy jamming; I've been missing your witty reviews.

I downloaded Toni The Superhero just now to read and review. I'd also like to participate in the BOTM discussions. The book costs USD10 on Amazon, so I had to select it for review. No regrets, though. The book looks endearing; the child in me is appeased.

P.S. Toni the Superhero is the prequel for The Black Panther of Wakanda, LOL!
FictionLover
Favorite Book: If life stinks get your head outta your buts
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fictionlover.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by FictionLover »

I'd have to be an evil villain to give this book anything less than an A+, so my rating for Toni the Superhero is 4 out of 4 stars. I very highly recommend it for preschoolers and their parents, preschool-K teachers, and any adult who likes a simple read every once in a while.
That's funny! Don't want to be an evil villain!

I think it would be hard not to love this little book. It's bright, energetic and easy to read. Books for this age group don't necessarily need a plot, but I think it would be fine if she decided to add one for the next book.

:D
"I love reading another reader’s list of favorites. Even when I find I do not share their tastes or predilections, I am provoked to compare, contrast, and contradict. It is a most healthy exercise, and one altogether fruitful." T.S. Eliot
Britty01
Favorite Book: Will's Red Coat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-britty01.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Post by Britty01 »

This review was one of the most fun reads I have seen to date. Good job.
Britty01
Favorite Book: Will's Red Coat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-britty01.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Post by Britty01 »

bookowlie wrote: 05 Jun 2018, 10:18 Excellent review! I particularly enjoyed reading your opinions because I also read and reviewed this book. I am glad you mentioned the reason there is no plot is because it's more of a starter learn-to-read book. I have read a few reviews where the reviewer lowered the rating because the book didn't have much of a plot. That irked me because the author stated the purpose was to get kids to learn to read through a set of simple sentences.

True, but these days we have to be aware of being gender neutral. I don't know why but it got my attention faster when I first saw the title.
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: Killing Shore
Bookshelf Size: 2389
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

I like that this book is prime material for bonding between children and their parents. As they read together, parents can disucss the fun activities their children like and perhaps compare the activities they like to the ones Toni likes. Parents can additionally take the opportunity to discuss chores around the house and how the child can do them with a smile like Toni does.
This is such an important point! I remember fondly my reading time with my mom and I think books open all sorts of reflection and discussion possibilities, enabling communication and bonding between the kids and their caregivers from a young age.
In addition to the lesson that helping and doing chores is fun, I like that the hero in question is a boy of color. In a genre where the superheros have historically been fair-skinned, it's important for little African-American children to see heroes who look like themselves. Since Black Panther is making a splash at the box office, the timing is on-point for our little hero.
Totally agree! Representation matters and it’s awesome that little boys of all ethnicities can feel identified with their role-models.
The one thing that bothered me about this book - and it's my own idiosyncrasy - is the spelling of "Toni"; to me, Toni with an "i" is a girl's name, whereas a boy's name is spelled with a "y". Again, that's just me and how I view things.
I noticed this, but since I’m not a native English speaker I thought perhaps it was my lack of familiarity with English names but I’m glad someone else found this a bit odd.

A great, enthusiastic review. Thank you!
MsTri

Post by MsTri »

bookowlie wrote: 05 Jun 2018, 10:18 Excellent review! I particularly enjoyed reading your opinions because I also read and reviewed this book. I am glad you mentioned the reason there is no plot is because it's more of a starter learn-to-read book. I have read a few reviews where the reviewer lowered the rating because the book didn't have much of a plot. That irked me because the author stated the purpose was to get kids to learn to read through a set of simple sentences.

Thanks so much for commenting, bookowlie!
MsTri

Post by MsTri »

Miriam Molina wrote: 30 Jun 2018, 06:34 You did it again, MsTri! It seems you've been busy jamming; I've been missing your witty reviews.

I downloaded Toni The Superhero just now to read and review. I'd also like to participate in the BOTM discussions. The book costs USD10 on Amazon, so I had to select it for review. No regrets, though. The book looks endearing; the child in me is appeased.

P.S. Toni the Superhero is the prequel for The Black Panther of Wakanda, LOL!
Awww, thanks so much, Miriam! I wonder if the king still does dishes, ha ha!
MsTri

Post by MsTri »

FictionLover wrote: 30 Jun 2018, 07:22
That's funny! Don't want to be an evil villain!

I think it would be hard not to love this little book. It's bright, energetic and easy to read. Books for this age group don't necessarily need a plot, but I think it would be fine if she decided to add one for the next book.

:D
Agreed and thanks for commenting!
MsTri

Post by MsTri »

Britty01 wrote: 07 Jul 2018, 19:09 This review was one of the most fun reads I have seen to date. Good job.

Thanks so much!
MsTri

Post by MsTri »

Lunastella wrote: 18 Sep 2018, 18:29
This is such an important point! I remember fondly my reading time with my mom and I think books open all sorts of reflection and discussion possibilities, enabling communication and bonding between the kids and their caregivers from a young age.
Totally agree! Representation matters and it’s awesome that little boys of all ethnicities can feel identified with their role-models.
I noticed this, but since I’m not a native English speaker I thought perhaps it was my lack of familiarity with English names but I’m glad someone else found this a bit odd.

A great, enthusiastic review. Thank you!
Thanks so much for your wonderful comments!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”