Official Review: Sally the Bold by Albert Alarcon Jr

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Official Review: Sally the Bold by Albert Alarcon Jr

Post by bookowlie »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Sally the Bold" by Albert Alarcon Jr.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Sally the Bold by Albert Alarcon is a children’s picture book about the legend of Sally the Knight. Sally is a disabled female knight who has to contend with a beast named Max. While riding around in her wheelchair, the townspeople ask for her help as a “monster” is ruining their farms at night. Fortunately, Sally is very brave so she goes searching for Max. Will she find a way to stop him from wrecking the town?

Sally is portrayed as a fearless girl who finds creative ways to fix problems. I absolutely loved the dual concept of the main character being a female knight and someone who has a disability. Traditionally, men are shown as knights in children’s books so it’s nice to see a girl featured in this role. It also sends a strong message to kids that Sally doesn’t let her inability to walk stand in the way of accomplishing great feats.

The story is written in rhyme, with each set of two sentences rhyming. This was not immediately apparent in the PDF format I received. Since most of the pages contain only one sentence, the rhyme scheme is more noticeable on the pages that have two sentences or more. Young readers would likely appreciate the rhyming aspect more in the paper version of the book, as the pages would be in a side-by-side format.

Children would easily be able to follow the story. The two main characters are described well and there is a clear problem and resolution. A little humor is sprinkled into the interactions between Sally and Max, although the underlying theme of helpfulness permeates the story. There are a few advanced words (e.g.- protrude, corrective, and trampled), but that’s not necessarily a downside. In an otherwise simple story, teaching kids a few new words is an easy way to expand their vocabulary.

The colorful artwork has a handmade quality and adds a whimsical touch to the story. One minor gripe is that the formal-style font is bland and seems out of place against the bright illustrations; it would be better suited to an adult novel. I liked that the pictures of the beast are light-hearted so younger children could be entertained rather than scared. Sally is shown as a busy, helpful person even though she rides in a wheelchair. This sets a good example for children, that disabled people can lead active lives and help others.

This book has earned the highest rating, 4 out of 4 stars. It is a creatively written tale that would be a fine addition to any child’s bookshelf. I would recommend it to children ages 3-8, especially those who like unique characters. Sally is certainly not a traditional knight and Max is not a typical beast. It would be a good read-aloud choice for bedtime or class/library storytime, and emergent readers could read the book independently. Sally is a wonderful character and I hope the author decides to turn this book into a series.

Sally the Bold
View: on Bookshelves

Like bookowlie's review? Post a comment saying so!
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Rosemary Khathibe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-khathibe.html
Latest Review: Robotic Warriors by Caglar Juan Singletary

Post by Rosemary Khathibe »

Sally seems like a very interesting character who is helpful and always find a way to fix problems despite her disability to walk. It's a very good moral for children. Enchanting review!
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

A children’s picture book about the legend of Sally the Knight sounds cute. The concept of a main female character with a disability convenes a great message to kids. The whimsical drawing is another plus. . Sally does sound like a wonderful character and one kids could relate to. Thank you for the great review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
AmySmiles
Favorite Author: Dana Peters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Sex Education for Adults Secrets to Amazing Sex and Happily Ever After Too by John Wilder
fav_author_id: 154082

Post by AmySmiles »

A girl knight! How inspiring! I love the concept and I'm so glad to hear that this one get's the highest ranking. Great review!
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown
bookowlie
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Thanks everyone for the nice feedback! Sally is a good role model for children.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
kandscreeley
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I LOVE this! A disabled, female knight?! Fabulous. Sounds like a great book to teach children that you can do anything you set your mind to. Thanks for another great review. I love all these creative and wonderful stories that are coming out for kids.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
BLINKYNOEL36
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16

Post by BLINKYNOEL36 »

It sound's like a wonderful book . I have a seven year old who has speach difficulties and would probably benefit from reading such a short bit sweet story.
Ruba Abu Ali
Currently Reading: Notes on a Nervous Planet
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruba-abu-ali.html
Latest Review: Grammar for a Full Life: How the Ways We Shape a Sentence Can Limit or Enlarge Us by Lawrence Weinstein

Post by Ruba Abu Ali »

This book has all the elements needed to make it shine. I loved the story behind the book, and I think my little girl will enjoy it too. Thanks for the charming review.
Nazir11
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by Nazir11 »

It sound's like a wonderful book . I have a seven year old who has speach difficulties and would probably benefit from reading such a short bit sweet story.
Mindy Conahye
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mindy-conahye.html
Latest Review: WIND by Ellen Dee Davidson

Post by Mindy Conahye »

This sounds like a lovely book. I like that the main character has a disability and she is going to help the others. It's a good lesson for kids to have. She is not letting anything hold her back, so children shouldn't either.
Mac :techie-reference:
kfwilson6
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

I'm curious as to what type of "monster" Max is. This sounds like a wonderful tale. I love the female knight and her unique version of a steed.
Allyseria
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-allyseria.html
Latest Review: Choosing Happiness by Emily Hunter Slingluff

Post by Allyseria »

Thank you for your review! I think it's great that the main character is a disabled girl. It helps children become exposed to it at a young age and help them learn about disabilities and that it doesn't prevent you from doing things! It's a great message :)
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

Based on your review, this sounds like a delightful children's book. I love the title, the strong female character, and the positive portrayal of someone who is physically challenged. Great review!
cpru68
Favorite Book: What My Dog Taught Me About Jesus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 179
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cpru68.html
Latest Review: Heaven's Call by Roger Dawson
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by cpru68 »

Wow! It is so nice to see in this day and age a female character but also one who is not perfect! What a great message this book seems to send to young readers that strength and courage come from within and it doesn't matter what is on the exterior. This sounds like a great book for kids and adults! Great job on this review.
Everything happens for a reason...
johncheruiyot
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by johncheruiyot »

This so captivating story for it is good for children and helps them as they grow to have good and strong characters such bravery and courage as portrayed in the story. Thus I recommend that youths and children keep in touch with the Book.

Return to “Children's Books”