Review by sharkyjen998 -- Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
sharkyjen998
Favorite Book: Apollo's Raven
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharkyjen998.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Review by sharkyjen998 -- Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Post by sharkyjen998 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Apollo's Raven" by Linnea Tanner.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Celtic Princess Catrin has an incredible gift that allows her to merge with her spirit animal’s mind. When she utilizes her power, she is granted the ability to see through her raven’s eyes, but young Catrin is only just beginning to understand how to harness her skills. As an even younger child, Catrin had dreamed of becoming a Druidess. Her father quickly forbade such practices. Despite having high regard for his personal Druidess Agrona, her father firmly asserts that Catrin’s spiritual magic is a curse rather than a gift.

Catrin’s situation changes drastically when she inadvertently has a vision of incoming warships, which are sure to threaten her father’s kingdom. Using her raven’s eyes, she spots the warships and dives lower to get a closer look. Catrin is astonished when she suddenly sees Marrock, her half-brother, who had promised to slay her entire family before being exiled years ago.

She rushes back to tell her father, but several Roman soldiers have already reached the King. Tension is high between the two groups, yet Catrin feels an instant connection to the Roman Senator’s son, Marcellus. Catrin is both confused and conflicted about her feelings of attraction. Catrin is compelled to prevent further conflict but unsure how to proceed due to her foreboding vision. In a twist of fate, Marcellus is ordered to stay behind as a hostage while the King and Senator attempt to discuss the future of the kingdom. Catrin is ordered by her father to extract information from the enemy Marcellus, and Marcellus is instructed to do the same by his father. Despite this, the two are obviously very attracted to one another. Will they betray each another in the name of their kingdoms, or will their love overcome all? Will the King and the Senator be able to reach an amicable agreement? Will Marrock’s vengeance be fulfilled?

The action-packed beginning of this book really drew me into this story, and I couldn’t seem to pull myself away from the unfolding drama. The initial chapters were well balanced in providing a detailed description of the main characters and their backstories while simultaneously providing an initial sense of action and drama. The author so beautifully captures the passion, desire, and realness of attraction between Catrin and Marcellus that I couldn’t help but be completely drawn into the vortex of their budding romance. It’s important to note that I usually do not like romance novels or the romantic aspects of a novel. I was initially drawn to this story for the mythological aspects, but Linnea Tanner crafted such a beautiful romance that I was surprisingly looking forward to these parts of the story more than anything else!

I rate Apollo’s Raven 4 out of 4 stars. This book is impeccable! Apollo’s Raven is professionally edited, well researched, and captivating from beginning to end. I would recommend this book to anyone who enjoys history, romance, and magic. I don't have anything negative to say about this book.

It’s not often that a book will leave me speechless, but Apollo’s Raven did just that. It took me several days before I could even write this review because I was completely taken aback by this book in the best way. I’ve already visited the author’s website and pre-ordered the second book to this series. I’m also thrilled to learn she is planning on writing a third, fourth, and fifth addition to the series! I plan on reading the entire series.

Apollo's Raven
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes

Like sharkyjen998's review? Post a comment saying so!
topdan30
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 125
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-topdan30.html
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud
2024 Reading Goal: 798
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by topdan30 »

It must be a good book since it left you speechless. Thanks for the review
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud
CommMayo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

I admit that I did an official review for the audiobook version of this novel. I really didn't enjoy it much at all...I don't think it was the awful narrator ruining it for me, but I would be interested to see how the text played out. I'm glad you enjoyed this book so thoroughly!
Rosemary Khathibe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-khathibe.html
Latest Review: Robotic Warriors by Caglar Juan Singletary

Post by Rosemary Khathibe »

Through your review, Catrin's relationship with Marcellus seems captivating. And since I love romance, I will add the book on my to-read list. Enchanting review!
sharkyjen998
Currently Reading:

Post by sharkyjen998 »

CommMayo wrote: 16 Sep 2018, 09:02 I admit that I did an official review for the audiobook version of this novel. I really didn't enjoy it much at all...I don't think it was the awful narrator ruining it for me, but I would be interested to see how the text played out. I'm glad you enjoyed this book so thoroughly!
I was trying to find your review of this book because I'm interested in your thoughts. I'm combing through most of your other reviews currently, but maybe you could send me a link to this one on a private message? I can't seem to find it. :) Thank you for taking the time to comment on my review. I do understand everyone has different tastes. Usually, my brain will completely ignore errors when I'm really into the plot, so that impacts my reviews without a doubt.
sharkyjen998
Currently Reading:

Post by sharkyjen998 »

Rosemary Khathibe wrote: 16 Sep 2018, 09:32 Through your review, Catrin's relationship with Marcellus seems captivating. And since I love romance, I will add the book on my to-read list. Enchanting review!
I hope you enjoy this one as much as I did! :)
sharkyjen998
Currently Reading:

Post by sharkyjen998 »

topdan30 wrote: 16 Sep 2018, 08:20 It must be a good book since it left you speechless. Thanks for the review
It was!!! Thank you for your comment!
CommMayo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

sharkyjen998 wrote: 16 Sep 2018, 11:06
CommMayo wrote: 16 Sep 2018, 09:02 I admit that I did an official review for the audiobook version of this novel. I really didn't enjoy it much at all...I don't think it was the awful narrator ruining it for me, but I would be interested to see how the text played out. I'm glad you enjoyed this book so thoroughly!
I was trying to find your review of this book because I'm interested in your thoughts. I'm combing through most of your other reviews currently, but maybe you could send me a link to this one on a private message? I can't seem to find it. :) Thank you for taking the time to comment on my review. I do understand everyone has different tastes. Usually, my brain will completely ignore errors when I'm really into the plot, so that impacts my reviews without a doubt.
I only gave it a 2 out of 4, so I think that the author decided not to have it published. I'm not sure if it can be found anywhere on the website anymore. I can't locate it.
sharkyjen998
Currently Reading:

Post by sharkyjen998 »

CommMayo wrote: 16 Sep 2018, 13:26
I only gave it a 2 out of 4, so I think that the author decided not to have it published. I'm not sure if it can be found anywhere on the website anymore. I can't locate it.

Gotcha... that makes sense.. nonetheless, I enjoy reading your thoughts, so I'll have to check out your other reviews!
Marissa Michael
Currently Reading: Carrie
Bookshelf Size: 585
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marissa-michael.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing
2024 Reading Goal: 5
2024 Goal Completion: 60%

Post by Marissa Michael »

I have just reviewed this book myself and I couldn't agree more with this part of your review:
"It’s not often that a book will leave me speechless, but Apollo’s Raven did just that. It took me several days before I could even write this review because I was completely taken aback by this book in the best way."

I write my review of this book three days after I read this because I felt I'm not ready to leave Catrin and Marcellus. Thank you for your intriguing review.
"Read in order to live." ~Gustave Flaubert
"Fiction reveals truths that reality obscures." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
Julie Green
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-green.html
Latest Review: Fate Line by Marc J. Seifer

Post by Julie Green »

I read a sample of this book and I agree that the chemistry between Catrin and Marcellus is compelling from the outset. I also loved the description of Catrin seeing through the raven as she feels the bird's beating wings in her heart.

I'm so glad to hear the rest of the book lives up to its opening pages.
Irene C
Currently Reading: Outlander
Bookshelf Size: 145
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-irene-c.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Irene C »

CommMayo wrote: 16 Sep 2018, 13:26
Interesting. I just submitted a volunteer review of it as well. I’ll keep this in mind.
History is not a burden on the memory but an illumination of the soul. Lord Acton
Ijeoma Kikelomo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ijeoma-kikelomo.html
Latest Review: Visions of Prosetry, Collector's Edition II by Vèè Nelly

Post by Ijeoma Kikelomo »

Your review of this book makes it sound like a must read. The characters and the plot are fascinating.
Rafaella Michailidou
Currently Reading: Dark Places
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rafaella-michailidou.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Rafaella Michailidou »

I loved this book. I'm glad you did too. It has everything I needed adventure, romance, magic and old times. Thank you for your beautiful review.
“All the secrets of the world are contained in books. Read at your own risk.”
― Lemony Snicket
Onyinye Excel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onyinye-excel.html
Latest Review: The Different Kinds Of Monsters by Seth Chambers

Post by Onyinye Excel »

I love history,romance and magic. Nice review. So sorry.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”