What did you think of the erotic scenes?

Use this forum to discuss the September Book of the Month "Apollo's Raven" by Linnea Tanner.
juliecsa
Currently Reading: Gathering Blue
Bookshelf Size: 311
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliecsa.html
Latest Review: A Ghost in My Mirror by Olabisi Gwamna

Re: What did you think of the erotic scenes?

Post by juliecsa »

I agree completely. I find erotic language like that so cringeworthy and it makes me so uncomfortable to read. It is trying too hard to make it 'sexy', and in my opinion, missing the mark.
Bonnie Shelby
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bonnie-shelby.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Bonnie Shelby »

I didn't appreciate those scenes in this book either - I found them to be awkward and eye-roll inducing as well.
Ptah06
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Ptah06 »

I find it funny , creative and how it brings the book to life.
Vlinstry
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vlinstry.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Vlinstry »

I do agree that the language used is not really appropriate. It makes it almost seem funny ratger than sexy and doesn't really make it seem like it has a place.
Oulababe
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oulababe.html
Latest Review: Invisible Me by H M Irwing

Post by Oulababe »

If I was the author and I read the way those scenes are described after sometime I'd edit all of them. I have no problem with mature scenes I just think they should be written in a mature way that will not make them awkward to read.
CommMayo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

Oulababe wrote: 12 Sep 2018, 08:32 If I was the author and I read the way those scenes are described after sometime I'd edit all of them. I have no problem with mature scenes I just think they should be written in a mature way that will not make them awkward to read.
Very well put! I have no clue how the author was able to read those scenes and think to herself, "Wow, I really nailed that." Sex scenes are presented in novels all of the time without being tacky and cringe worthy.
Oulababe
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oulababe.html

Post by Oulababe »

CommMayo wrote: 12 Sep 2018, 12:42
Oulababe wrote: 12 Sep 2018, 08:32 If I was the author and I read the way those scenes are described after sometime I'd edit all of them. I have no problem with mature scenes I just think they should be written in a mature way that will not make them awkward to read.
Very well put! I have no clue how the author was able to read those scenes and think to herself, "Wow, I really nailed that." Sex scenes are presented in novels all of the time without being tacky and cringe worthy.
Yeah, she should really edit them.
Noraine Alissa Poria
Currently Reading: Bro Code
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-noraine-alissa-poria.html
Latest Review: The Making Of A Con by Grace Larson

Post by Noraine Alissa Poria »

It depends of how it is written, I like subtle bed scenes better than overly detailed one.
oge123
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oge123.html

Post by oge123 »

Everyone has a preference. But seriously, whenever you choose to read a book of romance, you have to prepare your self for erotic scenes, in case it's in the book. I don't mind. But when an author chooses to add eroticism, it should be done maturely.
BOLT_FLEET

Post by BOLT_FLEET »

We won't mind if they will use some adult words because right now its a little bit crude and poorly written i actually skipped those part because it's not so good to catch some attention of the readers :)
joycemarie19

Post by joycemarie19 »

For me it was okey. We all know that we can't even make a story just like what he did. Its an erotic scenes you know. Its okey if he wrote those scenes. Its his story anyways. Keep it cool guys. 😊😊
NuelUkah
Favorite Book: Heaven and Earth
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 283
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nuelukah.html
Latest Review: Dibs and Dabs of my Life by Gertrude Coulter

Post by NuelUkah »

I think, the author not being too explicit on the erotic scenes is smart. Using other illustrations in such a way that matured minds could understand what she was saying is creativity. Erotic scenes are usually part of such historical books, but that doesn't mean it should be so raw and explicit. To me, the author did well to reduce the erotic expressions.
If you are TOO BIG to DO SMALL things, then you are TOO SMALL to DO BIG things...

If you want to be remembered long after you are gone, WRITE books worth READING or DO things worth WRITING about...
jdy
Currently Reading: We Make God Cry
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jdy.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Post by jdy »

I don't really like the erotic scenes. I think it is better to leave some of this to the imagination. If you have younger audiences it is better to not have those scenes in the book.
Corderocl

Post by Corderocl »

I think it depends on the book and the way the author writes. Sure they can be redundant and cringe worthy. But there are times where it's written tastefully and as long as it makes sense to the story line and characters.
mariakavo88
Currently Reading: Raven's Fall
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mariakavo88.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by mariakavo88 »

I'm not finished with the book yet, but so far the scenes that I have read have not bothered me. I don't seek out book with erotic scenes, but I have read a lot of book and I truly believe as someone else stated above that these scenes are hard to write and sometimes they may come off as tacky, but in the same sense I feel as though if it were put very bluntly many would feel uncomfortable as well.

Return to “Discuss "Apollo's Raven" by Linnea Tanner”