Review by Manali_DC -- The Cult Next Door

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Manali_DC
Currently Reading: A Little Life
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manali-dc.html
Latest Review: Flat Top Mountain Ranch -- the beginning by James E Doucette

Review by Manali_DC -- The Cult Next Door

Post by Manali_DC »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Cult Next Door" by Elizabeth R. Burchard, Judith L. Carlone.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

When I chose to review this book, I was expecting a story about some strange organization with weird people and beliefs and rituals - in short, people who were nothing like anyone I ever knew - they couldn't be because, after all, they were in a cult! The Cult Next Door: A Manhattan Memoir by Elizabeth R. Burchard and Judith L. Carlone is an autobiographical account which reveals the chilling truth that cults are not as far removed from everyday life as one might hope and people who join cults are not abnormal or weird.

The foreword to the book sets the tone for the story and does warn the reader that most myths connected to the word "cult" are in fact untrue. Elizabeth, an educated, intelligent woman - valedictorian and graduate of Swarthmore College - gets introduced to George Sharkman, a stress reduction therapist and New Age guru, by her mother Rachel. A confident, charismatic and compelling personality, George Sharkman claimed to know the mantra for channeling positivity and energy to better one's life. Using a mishmash of theories borrowed from metaphysics and the various New Age ideas of the time, he gave it his own twist with a biofeedback machine and had the personality to sell his ideas to people and attract followers.

Elizabeth gets drawn to the ideas and the positivity of the man and becomes a follower. In the initial days, when the Group first started, Sharkman was broke and had no office. Elizabeth's mother lets him use a room in their flat as a clinic. They even invite a few of their friends to attend sessions and many of these people stayed on as Sharkman's followers for many years. And thus began the " Cult Next Door".

While on the surface it seemed that the followers were going to George Sharkman for therapy, in truth, they were being slowly and increasingly manipulated into handing over their lives and their fortunes to Sharkman. He took advantage of their weaknesses and vulnerabilities and used just the right tactics of reward and punishment into ensuring that his followers would remain dependent on him. No one took a decision without consulting George and friendship with members outside cult followers was strongly discouraged. As the years went by, George Sharkman became more narcissistic, more demanding and his ideas got more bizarre. But, by then, the group members had already been trusting George with their daily lives and decisions for far too long to recognize the madness and walk out. Sharkman grew richer every year while more than a few of his devotees were so broke that they were rationing their monthly groceries - but it never occurred to them to cut back on their hours with George or leave him.

Every once in a while somebody would question George and his ideas, but the manipulation and combined pressure from George and the other cult members ensured that very few eventually did leave. This book tells the story of Elizabeth's long and frightening struggle to break free from this vicious nest of domination and mind control. The constant battle between Elizabeth's inner self and the person George was programming her to be, took its toll on her health and happiness. The self-doubt and the need to completely re-orient oneself with a world outside George's clinic was a long and painful journey. Elizabeth was lucky she met Judith, who proved to be a friend, anchor, and lifeline who ensured that Elizabeth won her battle and managed to break free.

This book was an eye-opener into the world of cults. The realization that most people who joined the cult did so because they needed help with common disorders like depression and loneliness which could have been easily treated if they had found the right therapist, was very sobering! At the end, when Elizabeth cries for the loss of 20 years of her life to someone like Sharkman, my heart goes out to her.

As this is an autobiographical story, I have nothing in way of criticism of the book - Elizabeth tells the story of her life as she lived it! I thought the book was very well written and almost has the feel of a suspense thriller. The portions written by Judith give a wonderful third-person perspective into the workings of a cult. I give The Cult Next door: A Manhattan Memoir 4 out of 4 stars and recommend it as an amazing tale of courage and determination and the victory of the essential good in a human being over any efforts to subdue or dominate somebody's mind and spirit!

The Cult Next Door
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Manali_DC's review? Post a comment saying so!
jcoad
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jcoad.html
Latest Review: True Blue Friend by Roy DeMauro

Post by jcoad »

Wow, what an interesting topic. Sounds like a book you keep reading hoping you can yell at the pages loud enough for Elizabeth to stop the dependency. This really intrigues me and I'll be looking to pick up this book. Thanks for the great review!
Kajori Sheryl Paul
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 976
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kajori-sheryl-paul.html
Latest Review: Alien Bonds by Carmen Webster Buxton

Post by Kajori Sheryl Paul »

It must have taken a lot of courage for the author to write about her struggle to break free. This book seems like one that can teach the reader a lot.

Thank you for the great review
Manali_DC

Post by Manali_DC »

jcoad wrote: 12 Sep 2018, 07:25 Wow, what an interesting topic. Sounds like a book you keep reading hoping you can yell at the pages loud enough for Elizabeth to stop the dependency. This really intrigues me and I'll be looking to pick up this book. Thanks for the great review!
Thank you! You got that right - at times you do feel like shaking Elizabeth or actually yelling for her to "wake up" and break free from George Sharkman. I think you will enjoy the story!
Manali_DC

Post by Manali_DC »

Kajori50 wrote: 12 Sep 2018, 07:37 It must have taken a lot of courage for the author to write about her struggle to break free. This book seems like one that can teach the reader a lot.

Thank you for the great review
Thank you! Yes, it was a heart-wrenching story but one of grit and determination and a lot of courage! I can only imagine how much it must have taken for Elizabeth and Judith to come forward with their story!
Diana Lowery
Currently Reading: The Exchange
Bookshelf Size: 343
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diana-lowery.html
Latest Review: The Witchdoctor Paradox by Barry Tyrrell
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Diana Lowery »

Hi, I enjoyed the comments you made on my review of this book, so when I saw that you had also written a review, I had to read yours. I liked all of the details you included.
Manali_DC

Post by Manali_DC »

Thank you for dropping by and reading my review!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”