Review by A lways -- Chrome Mountain by Ben Schneider

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
A lways
Favorite Book: The Night Circus
Currently Reading: Wonder Tales
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-a-lways.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Review by A lways -- Chrome Mountain by Ben Schneider

Post by A lways »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Chrome Mountain" by Ben Schneider.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Chrome Mountain is a science fiction and a fantasy novel by Ben Schneider. It tells the story of Sonya, a former member of a biker gang, and Trey, a scientist who invented a powerful device that made him wanted by a terrorist group. As their fates lead them toward each other, they form a bond that helps them survive the threat that chase after them.

Sonya escapes the Screamon Demons when she realized how evil they truly are and, at the same time, tries to reconnect with the past she had abandoned. She seems to keep making the wrong choices which led her to her current situation, wherein the gang’s leader (her ex-boyfriend) is after her life for trying to get away. Meanwhile, Trey had made a secret invention that could make him rich, but could also be dangerous when used by the wrong people. This device made him the target of the Chrome Falcon terrorist group. The book is an action-packed story led by a beautiful and strong female character, and an intelligent scientist as they try to survive while hoping to save the world.

What I like about the book is its potential plot of having a futuristic invention, which may not be far off at these times, and the possibility of such a group that may threaten the world. It tries to be an action-filled, suspense story while keeping the narrative light and humorous. The story also attempts to center Christianity, or at least the faith in God, as the reason for the two protagonists to meet and help each other, and for the cause of their survival.

While the book promotes itself as a sci-fi thriller, it failed to keep me at the edge of my seat. The story keeps changing perspective from character to character. While I don’t think there’s anything wrong with that, I thought some points of view were not necessary. In numerous parts, it uses this change of perspective to inject humor which I didn't think was needed for the story. The main antagonist, the Chrome Falcon, was also not very effective. Although they were supposedly a large and powerful group, they seem to be conveniently inadequate of acquiring their target. As the main bosses of the terrorists were mentioned (the general and the head of the science department), I thought it would have been more intriguing if we were to have met them. Additionally, I found Sonya’s former biker gang a more interesting storyline than the Chrome Falcon. The bond that formed between Sonya and Trey didn’t feel organic. While it was lucky for them to have met, their relationship going forward only felt beneficial to the story and not natural. There was also the unnecessary need to repeatedly focus on Sonya's physique, which the story made as its center of attraction.

I would not recommend this book to readers under 18-years-old because of some offensive words that were used. I personally didn’t like this book, and I think that it could use some improvement on the storytelling. Perhaps there may be some readers that may enjoy this if they like science fiction, action, and humor. I rate this book 2 out of 4 stars.

Chrome Mountain
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like A lways's review? Post a comment saying so!
lazybekah
Currently Reading: The Devil's Astronaut
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lazybekah.html
Latest Review: End of the Last Great Kingdom by Victor Rose
Reading Device: B00TA9FD2M

Post by lazybekah »

Thank you for the honest review. That's a shame about the inadequacy of the antagonist - villains should be skilled and/or intelligent to really amp up the suspense. Going through the reviews, there seem to be a lot of different opinions of the book. I passed on this initially because the summary didn't sound like my type of read, but this review helps support that decision. Thanks again!
A lways
Favorite Book: The Night Circus
Currently Reading: Wonder Tales
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-a-lways.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by A lways »

lazybekah wrote: 14 Sep 2018, 15:25 Thank you for the honest review. That's a shame about the inadequacy of the antagonist - villains should be skilled and/or intelligent to really amp up the suspense. Going through the reviews, there seem to be a lot of different opinions of the book. I passed on this initially because the summary didn't sound like my type of read, but this review helps support that decision. Thanks again!
I agree. That's why I thought that perhaps meeting the "big boss" would have made it more threatening. Glad to be of help!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”