Official Review: Dark Money by Larry D. Thompson

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
JR Mercier
Favorite Book: The Bear and the Nightingale
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jr-mercier.html
Latest Review: Betrayal by Maggie Walsh

Official Review: Dark Money by Larry D. Thompson

Post by JR Mercier »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Dark Money" by Larry D. Thompson.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Jack Bryant is back in the second installment of the Jack Bryant series by Larry D. Thompson, a political crime thriller that delves into the dreaded topic of dark money - the elusive higher power of politics. After a harrowing Halloween fundraiser shootout, Jack Bryant rushes to the defense of his Desert Storm friend and saviour, Walt. What seemed to be a clear-cut assassination soon turns into a giant conspiracy, revealing the sinister underbelly of the political underworld.

Dark Money captured my attention because of the heated topic of dark money. If you don’t know (as I didn’t), dark money is currency donated to non-profit organizations. This money is then most often spent on influencing elections. Because donors don’t have to disclose their identities, it allows these ‘generous’ donors to frequently play puppet master’s in governments.

Dark Money delves into this hidden world at a fast pace and with clear writing that makes it easy to keep up with everything that is happening. Dark Money spans a couple of months and unravels layer upon layer of political intrigue. I loved that just when I thought it was the end, another layer of the conspiracy is revealed.

Although there wasn’t much in the way of character development, except for Walt who suffers from PTSD, it didn’t hinder my reading or the story's development. It allowed the storyline to run smooth and focused more on the action and the courtrooms than the characters.

I also enjoyed the realistic feel to the court systems and the police and authorities proceedings. There were no flashy, crazy moves but instead Dark Money relied on a slower but smarter story. It maintained the realistic flow and while it wasn’t rife with tension it did capture my attention and managed to hold onto it.

My only complaint would have to be the awkward feel of technology in Dark Money. Every bit of technology was explained in detail. There was even an instance where a character said, “I booked us two rooms in La Quinta with my iPhone.” This isn’t a major problem and doesn’t happen too much but at times it made me feel like I was reading a tech catalogue instead of a book.

Dark Money is professionally edited, and I encountered no critical errors. Regrettably, there were missed quotation marks scattered throughout the text and commas were misplaced or intermittently used instead of full stops.

Taking everything into consideration, I rate Dark Money 3 out of 4 stars. The story was entertaining and intriguing, and I enjoyed the realistic feel. I recommend Dark Money to those looking for a good political crime thriller.

Dark Money
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like JR Mercier's review? Post a comment saying so!
Dream up something wild and improbable.
-Strange The Dreamer, Laini Taylor
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I'm glad that they explained Dark Money because I had no idea what it was. Now that I know, it would be interesting to read a story revolving around that as I haven't yet. I don't think the lack of character development would necessarily be a problem for me in a story such as this. The action would be so fast-paced that it wouldn't bother me. Thanks so much for your review. It's one I'll have to put on my list.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

I also had no idea what Dark Money is. I was captivated by the cover of this book. I love reading about the various layers of political intrigue. This sounds like an exciting book! Great review.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

I wasn't familiar with the term dark money either, so thanks for clarifying. This sounds like an engaging read and I enjoyed your review. Thanks for the recommendation!
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Dark money has been mentioned in several recent election campaigns. I would be very interested in reading Dark Money to see how the author treats this current topic. Thanks for an excellent review!
jcoad
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jcoad.html
Latest Review: True Blue Friend by Roy DeMauro

Post by jcoad »

In the current political environment learning about "dark money" sounds very interesting. Although there doesn't appear to be much action in the story it appears to be interesting enough to keep you entertained as you dig into the political underworld. Thank you for your review!
topdan30
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 125
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-topdan30.html
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud
2024 Reading Goal: 853
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by topdan30 »

I am a lover of political thriller. Love this review will sure be getting a read. Great review
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud
JR Mercier
Currently Reading:

Post by JR Mercier »

kandscreeley wrote: 06 Sep 2018, 08:38 I'm glad that they explained Dark Money because I had no idea what it was. Now that I know, it would be interesting to read a story revolving around that as I haven't yet. I don't think the lack of character development would necessarily be a problem for me in a story such as this. The action would be so fast-paced that it wouldn't bother me. Thanks so much for your review. It's one I'll have to put on my list.
It's definitely more a thinking action book. There are a few really cool action scenes that I enjoyed. I hope you like it. :tiphat:
JR Mercier
Currently Reading:

Post by JR Mercier »

kfwilson6 wrote: 06 Sep 2018, 11:10 I also had no idea what Dark Money is. I was captivated by the cover of this book. I love reading about the various layers of political intrigue. This sounds like an exciting book! Great review.
I was so excited too and I know! The cover looks awesome. Thank you for commenting. :tiphat:
JR Mercier
Currently Reading:

Post by JR Mercier »

Cecilia_L wrote: 06 Sep 2018, 11:11 I wasn't familiar with the term dark money either, so thanks for clarifying. This sounds like an engaging read and I enjoyed your review. Thanks for the recommendation!
I hope you enjoy it! :tiphat:
JR Mercier
Currently Reading:

Post by JR Mercier »

kdstrack wrote: 06 Sep 2018, 11:23 Dark money has been mentioned in several recent election campaigns. I would be very interested in reading Dark Money to see how the author treats this current topic. Thanks for an excellent review!
That is one of the reasons I was so intrigued. Thank you for the kind comment. :tiphat:
JR Mercier
Currently Reading:

Post by JR Mercier »

jcoad wrote: 06 Sep 2018, 20:47 In the current political environment learning about "dark money" sounds very interesting. Although there doesn't appear to be much action in the story it appears to be interesting enough to keep you entertained as you dig into the political underworld. Thank you for your review!
Perfectly said. Thank you for commenting!! :tiphat:
JR Mercier
Currently Reading:

Post by JR Mercier »

topdan30 wrote: 07 Sep 2018, 07:09 I am a lover of political thriller. Love this review will sure be getting a read. Great review
Thank you for the kind comment! :tiphat:
Kareka88
Favorite Book: A Ring of Endless Light
Currently Reading: The Rooster Bar
Bookshelf Size: 302
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kareka88.html
Latest Review: Will of The Hill by Marshall Cobb
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kareka88 »

JR Mercier wrote: 05 Sep 2018, 04:05 Although there wasn’t much in the way of character development, except for Walt who suffers from PTSD, it didn’t hinder my reading or the story's development. It allowed the storyline to run smooth and focused more on the action and the courtrooms than the characters.

I also enjoyed the realistic feel to the court systems and the police and authorities proceedings. There were no flashy, crazy moves but instead Dark Money relied on a slower but smarter story. It maintained the realistic flow and while it wasn’t rife with tension it did capture my attention and managed to hold onto it.

My only complaint would have to be the awkward feel of technology in Dark Money. Every bit of technology was explained in detail. There was even an instance where a character said, “I booked us two rooms in La Quinta with my iPhone.” This isn’t a major problem and doesn’t happen too much but at times it made me feel like I was reading a tech catalogue instead of a book.
Thank you for your detailed review. I was not aware of the definition of dark money so thank you for including that in your review. Some of your descriptions sound like this may be a very slow action book such as "slower but smarter story" and "every bit of technology was explained in detail." Your comment about booking rooms at LaQuinta with my iPhone made me chuckle because I would not have thought anything of it whereas you found it quite technical, that may be caused by a difference in our cultures. Even though the premise of the book sounds intriguing, however, good character development is a necessity for me. I think I will have to pass on this one.
"Life is an occasion - rise to it." Mr. Magorian
JR Mercier
Currently Reading:

Post by JR Mercier »

Kareka88 wrote: 10 Sep 2018, 18:58
JR Mercier wrote: 05 Sep 2018, 04:05 Although there wasn’t much in the way of character development, except for Walt who suffers from PTSD, it didn’t hinder my reading or the story's development. It allowed the storyline to run smooth and focused more on the action and the courtrooms than the characters.

Thank you for your detailed review. I was not aware of the definition of dark money so thank you for including that in your review. Some of your descriptions sound like this may be a very slow action book such as "slower but smarter story" and "every bit of technology was explained in detail." Your comment about booking rooms at LaQuinta with my iPhone made me chuckle because I would not have thought anything of it whereas you found it quite technical, that may be caused by a difference in our cultures. Even though the premise of the book sounds intriguing, however, good character development is a necessity for me. I think I will have to pass on this one.
:lol2: I get that and maybe it's the side effects of being a millennial. :lol2: Thank you for such a detailed comment.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”