Official Review: The Enemy In Me by Jacob Newell Campbell

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jennifer Fernandez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-fernandez.html
Latest Review: The Enemy In Me by Jacob Newell Campbell

Official Review: The Enemy In Me by Jacob Newell Campbell

Post by Jennifer Fernandez »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Enemy In Me" by Jacob Newell Campbell.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Enemy in Me is a non-fiction account of the author's life and his fight against mental illness. He wants to make sense of everything that happened and, at the same time, raise awareness on the Bipolar Schizoaffective Disorder. In this riveting story, Campbell offers insight into how the illness progresses. He talks about his childhood giving examples of the warning signs that led him into a downward spiral. Campbell wants the reader to immerse into his mind and see the world from his own perspective. This book delves into the raw details of mental illness from the beginning until he manages to pull through the worst.

The Enemy in Me is no walk in the park. It's meant to be unsettling. The author exposes himself for everyone to see. The message is clear: mental illness is not as black and white as people believe. There is no starting point and no clear finish. I was very intrigued by the portrayal of religion in the book. It had a positive effect on him but also a lot of negative ones. As Campbell continues telling his story, he makes insightful comments about the symptomatic events in his life. There are points in which he doesn't know what was real and what was just a hallucination. Campbell narrates his experiences just as they happened.

That honesty is what I liked the most about this story. This book is meant to plunge you into the author's raw experiences. As you read, it feels like this is the diary of a rambling madman. Words are missing. He repeats phrases and words. Sometimes, words are confused with other phonetically similar words. There are a lot of grammatical errors. These errors could be considered major flaws. The author knows this. He explains this book started as a diary. He decided to share it just as it was because he wrote most of it during medication or while having symptoms. In order to deliver an honest version of his state of mind, it was necessary to show all these errors.

This book is a must for anyone going through any mental illness. Campbell wants everyone to know that, no matter how hard it gets, there is hope. It can get better if you allow yourself to be helped. At the end of the book, he provides various hotlines for people seeking help. He even provides his email if someone needs some support. I have a family member going through this ordeal, and this book was helpful for me. It helped me to understand what they are going through. That's why I strongly recommend this book to anyone who knows someone with a mental illness. Psychology students and professionals can also benefit from this book.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. I think it was very brave of Campbell to open himself like he did in this book. The way he narrates the events of his life and the insightful analysis he makes of them, make this book a remarkable piece of literature. The number of grammatical errors in this book would usually make me lower the rating to 2 stars. However, the errors are necessary to portray the effects of mental illness. The book has a lot of drug and alcohol abuse as well as many sex scenes. I recommend that only adults read this book even though it may be helpful for teens going through a mental illness.

The Enemy In Me
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Jennifer Fernandez's review? Post a comment saying so!
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. - H.P. Lovecraft :techie-studyinggray:
FictionLover
Favorite Book: If life stinks get your head outta your buts
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fictionlover.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by FictionLover »

This sounds like it could be a compelling read.

Though I am sympathetic to anyone having these kinds of difficulties, I don't think I want to contend with reading a whole book which is written in this manner. It's too bad he couldn't confine those ungrammatical rambles to shorter portions.

I may have to take a peak, anyway.

Thanks for a great review.

:tiphat:
"I love reading another reader’s list of favorites. Even when I find I do not share their tastes or predilections, I am provoked to compare, contrast, and contradict. It is a most healthy exercise, and one altogether fruitful." T.S. Eliot
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

I admire the author's courage in being transparent about his mental illness. Though it sounds like the content may have been difficult to read, you did a great job of reviewing the book.
Jennifer Fernandez
Currently Reading:

FictionLover wrote: 09 Sep 2018, 23:49 This sounds like it could be a compelling read.

Though I am sympathetic to anyone having these kinds of difficulties, I don't think I want to contend with reading a whole book which is written in this manner. It's too bad he couldn't confine those ungrammatical rambles to shorter portions.

They are not that bad. At some point is interesting to see how his mind worked. Sometimes he switches words with other similar words. And this has some significances. There are sections in the book that are grammatically correct and everyrhing.
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. - H.P. Lovecraft :techie-studyinggray:
FictionLover
Favorite Book: If life stinks get your head outta your buts
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fictionlover.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by FictionLover »

Jennifer Fernandez wrote: 10 Sep 2018, 08:25
FictionLover wrote: 09 Sep 2018, 23:49 This sounds like it could be a compelling read.

They are not that bad. At some point is interesting to see how his mind worked. Sometimes he switches words with other similar words. And this has some significances. There are sections in the book that are grammatically correct and everyrhing.
I did go to Amazon and look at the sample. I didn't have time to read it, just skimmed, but it did not look so bad that I was turned off. I saved it to read later.

Thanks!!

:lire4:
"I love reading another reader’s list of favorites. Even when I find I do not share their tastes or predilections, I am provoked to compare, contrast, and contradict. It is a most healthy exercise, and one altogether fruitful." T.S. Eliot
Jennifer Fernandez
Currently Reading:

Cecilia_L wrote: 10 Sep 2018, 07:59 I admire the author's courage in being transparent about his mental illness. Though it sounds like the content may have been difficult to read, you did a great job of reviewing the book.
Thank you for your kind words!
Jennifer Fernandez
Currently Reading:

FictionLover wrote: 10 Sep 2018, 08:52
Jennifer Fernandez wrote: 10 Sep 2018, 08:25

I did go to Amazon and look at the sample. I didn't have time to read it, just skimmed, but it did not look so bad that I was turned off. I saved it to read later.

Thanks!!

:lire4:
Great! I hope you enjoy it as I did!
LaurenHaupt
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laurenhaupt.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by LaurenHaupt »

I hope this book helps a lot of people. The author seemed really brave to talk about it. Thank you for the review.
:techie-studyingbrown:
Corina Elena
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-corinaelena.html
Latest Review: Guilt by David Taylor Black

Post by Corina Elena »

Oh wow, this seems like an interesting mess. I love how mental illnesses get more and more coverage. Even in medical school, I must confess, there still is a stigma floating around, and it is heartbreaking to see. I will write this book down and jump on it if I notice it pop up in my review options. Great job!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”