Technological advancements

Use this forum to discuss August 2018 book of the month "World, Incorporated" by Tom Gariffo.
Bianka Walter
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Re: Technological advancements

Post by Bianka Walter »

kdstrack wrote: 22 Aug 2018, 16:26 Forty years is a blink of the eye for technology. Remember the first desktop computer? Now we wear our computer on our wrist! We have conversations with our computers. (Alexa, find...). We also have self-driving vehicles, and soon this technology will be applied to planes. The army supposedly has been working on the invisibility shield for planes. So, it seems like a great deal of the technology is already here or being worked on. The danger lies in who is controlling the technology. Will the internet always be free? Will government mandate self-driving cars and them control their use? I do not see danger in the technology, but in who manages to gain control over their use? Who knows how far these things will have advanced in 40 years? We are already using most of them.
Wow, I remember my old DOS 486 computer. The best thing about it was Warcraft. (That's Warcraft ONE...) And SimCity. So much fun. Now look what we have. Warcraft is actually something I really don't understand.
I don't think the internet will always be free. I also don't think that space will be for everyone. That is unchartered real estate. Loads of $$$ there.
It's actually kind of sad...
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
Bianka Walter
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

Cher432 wrote: 25 Aug 2018, 15:56 40 years is a very long time when it comes to technology. Things are being developed right now that would blow our minds if we knew about them. Just think about how computers have progressed in a short 30 years. So my answer to this is never say never, intelligent machines might actually be a possibility in 40 years.
I think intellectual machines are already a possibility. I don't think us non-professionals quite know how far technology has advanced.
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
Kgaelsdottir
Currently Reading: Good Omens
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kgaelsdottir.html
Latest Review: Final Report by Jeff Shear

Post by Kgaelsdottir »

JHuschle519 wrote: 01 Aug 2018, 08:56 Well, I think the first on ewe would see would be the watch that Agent Sliver uses to access all of his mission data. It's obviously far more advanced than today's smartwatches, but not by that much.

The other technology in this book that I see as possibly in the near future, although I hope to God it never comes to be, is the personalized advertisements throughout the cities. We already have facial recognition, and databases full of our consumer information, so it wouldn't be that much of a stretch to make this type of technology happen.
We already have personalized advertisements on social media; but the personalized advertising as mentioned by JHuschle519--this was already depicted in Minority Report, the Tom Cruise/Steven Spielberg movie that had futurists as technical advisers. I can only imagine this will indeed be the case...though I agree it would be completely disruptive!

I think this book is fascinating in terms of its futurism. I just don't doubt that the future is going to be even weirder than imagined in the book!!!
Power Onyango
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-power-onyango.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Power Onyango »

The world is changing at a faster pace and every kind of technological advancement is possible. I wouldn't rule out the ones highlighted in the book. They are all feasible.
jjmainor
Currently Reading: The House Where Evil Dwells...Thirteen Tells
Bookshelf Size: 171
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jjmainor.html
Latest Review: Beyond Cloud Nine (Beyond Saga Book 1) by Greg Spry

Post by jjmainor »

JHuschle519 wrote: 01 Aug 2018, 08:56 Well, I think the first on ewe would see would be the watch that Agent Sliver uses to access all of his mission data. It's obviously far more advanced than today's smartwatches, but not by that much.

The other technology in this book that I see as possibly in the near future, although I hope to God it never comes to be, is the personalized advertisements throughout the cities. We already have facial recognition, and databases full of our consumer information, so it wouldn't be that much of a stretch to make this type of technology happen.
I think we already have a few companies employing facial recognition to target ads within their stores.
Swat3737
Favorite Book: Mists of avalon
Currently Reading: Good Omens
Bookshelf Size: 631
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-swat3737.html
Latest Review: Sherlock and I A Memoir of Medical Mysteries in a US Rural Practice by Frederick Kassis, MD

Post by Swat3737 »

Surprisingly, AI like Franklin isn't far off in my opinion. It basically already exists, I recently saw a presentation on virtual reality and AI that said this kind of thing was 5-10 years away maximum. What worries me is the weapons and nanotech armor, with those capabilities who knows what could happen? I hope that's far away.
"One must still have chaos in oneself to be able to give birth to a dancing star." - Friedrich Nietzsche
Onyinye Excel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onyinye-excel.html
Latest Review: The Different Kinds Of Monsters by Seth Chambers

Post by Onyinye Excel »

I think the technology of the onboard computer is very possible.Maybe not in the nearest future but sometime in future.The world is fast changing and man is becoming more creative.
Bluecobia
Currently Reading: Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluecobia.html
Latest Review: The miner by F.Robert

Post by Bluecobia »

I think many of the technologies will be available. Think of the changes in the last 40 - 50 years. I remember 4 function hand held caculaters becoming available in the early 1970's. And things are changing even faster now.
Latest Review: The miner by F.Robert
SKS94
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sks94.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Post by SKS94 »

Having observed the current rate of technological advancements - especially over the last 20 years, I don't think that having such advanced technology in 40 years time is a stretch at all. The development of not just the physical hardware but the software we use daily is evolving so quickly. The question would perhaps be more, as some have mentioned, regarding morality and security. I think it's an interesting take nohow things could look.
MuthoniMuriithi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-muthonimuriithi.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by MuthoniMuriithi »

I support technological advancements predicted.
ROMANS 8:31
What, then, shall we say in response to these things? If God is for us, who can be against us?
Kareka88
Favorite Book: A Ring of Endless Light
Currently Reading: The Rooster Bar
Bookshelf Size: 302
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kareka88.html
Latest Review: Will of The Hill by Marshall Cobb
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kareka88 »

Bianka Walter wrote: 01 Aug 2018, 12:59
Eryn Bradshaw wrote: 01 Aug 2018, 12:40 I disagree, I think this technology is right around the corner. Just take a look at Sophia the Robot, granted she is scripted and programmed, but the aim is to get to the point where AI to be more self-thinking. But I think it's important for these people who are developing AI to stay morally good. At this point though, it's a race to see who can come up with actual AI.
So, yes. If you compare where we were 40 years ago, ANYTHING is possible. We didn't even have internet then. I mean, how did we function?? I agree with the technology being close... but I wonder how close to actually having working, intelligent prototypes.
Sure, it’s possible. As many have said, 40 years is a long time. Look how far we’ve come already in technology. But, isn’t that really a part of the magic of sci-fi? Thinking and creating another world and using our imaginations to see how far we can go? Who knows, maybe someone reading this book will create a technology that is so far out of our realm of comprehension it will be even more unfathomable.
"Life is an occasion - rise to it." Mr. Magorian
Wahu_m
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wahu-m.html
Latest Review: The Spirit of Want by William H. Coles

Post by Wahu_m »

I was under the impression that we're only a few years from creating Franklin. Artificial intelligence and robotics have come a long way.
AmySmiles
Favorite Author: Dana Peters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Sex Education for Adults Secrets to Amazing Sex and Happily Ever After Too by John Wilder
fav_author_id: 154082

Post by AmySmiles »

Just about anything could be possible. Just 40 years ago no one ever heard of such a thing called the internet...
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown
Oulababe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oulababe.html
Latest Review: Invisible Me by H M Irwing

Post by Oulababe »

Franklin is definitely the most possible one. I have seen computers that can talk back. I'm yet to see one that has decision making abilities but I think it's possible
Vlinstry
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vlinstry.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Vlinstry »

I believe that AI technology where they become independent and self thinking could possibly happen in the near future. We already have AIs that turn on our lights, kettle, tv, music and do all our inter et searches for us so why not take it a little further?

Return to “Discuss "World, Incorporated" by Tom Gariffo”