Official Review: Whispers Among The Prairie

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Dolor
Favorite Author: Craig R. Key
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12472
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dolor.html
Latest Review: The Center of Gravity by Patricia Brandon
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 115430

Official Review: Whispers Among The Prairie

Post by Dolor »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Whispers Among The Prairie" by Michelle Roberts.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Whispers Among The Prairie by Michelle Roberts is a neatly woven historical fiction set in the prairie lands of the American West in the 1860's. It unfolds a forbidden love between a Southern Cheyenne and a captain of a US cavalry. It is an intriguing tale with a perfect blend of friendship, love, racism, leadership, betrayal, respect, peace, war, and violence.

Black Kettle was a peace-loving leader of a Southern Cheyenne tribe. These Indians were living peacefully in a village in the Sand Creek. Black Kettle feared that his tribe might perish at the hands of war so he befriended and made treaties with the Whites. He also allowed his American friend, George Bent, to teach the English language to his adopted children - Morning Dove and Black Beaver.

Morning Dove received messages from the spirit world through apparition: her tribe would undergo troubled times and she (Morning Dove) would be a bridge between the two worlds - American and Cheyenne. A special bond was formed between Morning Dove and Captain Clinton McKay when destiny had finally set their meeting at Fort Cobb. Where will this bond take them?

I love the very descriptive writing style and world-building, the suspense build-up, the constant thrilling pace, and the unpredictable storyline. The narration was never boring. The plot had enough 'twists and turns' that could keep the reader turning every page. I found myself particularly engaged and emotionally involved in the scenes. Despite the promise of protection, the American soldiers rampaged the Cheyenne village, mutilated and clubbed the dead and wounded, laughed as if in a blood-thirsty trance, and captured the weak - women and children. I empathized with the Indians and resented the rude Whites. I found the ending so delightful, but I won't give any spoiler.

There were several characters involved in the story. At first, the names of the Cheyennes (i.e. Little Raven, Red Eagle, Morning Dove, Black Beaver, Tall Bear, Buffalo Star, and Red Bull) confused me. I thought I was reading a fable. The author introduced realistic characters with flaws, doubts, strengths, and weaknesses. I was chuckling when Tom Custer, Clinton's friend, reminisced the day when both of them were fighting in the Civil War. If Tom had not been spitting out the worst coffee that Clinton had prepared for him, his skull would've been hit by a bullet from the grey army. Even though Clinton didn't know how to prepare a cup of coffee, he is still the character I like best. He was friendly, courageous, and romantic.

My favorite quote in this book is this: "Life without passion is like not actually living.” Tom found it hard to leave the army life because he had no passion other than being a soldier. For one, Clinton wanted to leave the danger of war, but he felt he didn’t fit in anywhere. He wasn’t a farmer, a tradesman, a saloon keeper or a merchant. It's so sad, but truth be told, there are many people who have not decided which passion they should focus on.

Overall, the author did an excellent job of bringing this story to life. However, the contents were not error-free. I had seen missing necessary pronoun, preposition, and article aside from the spacing, punctuation, spelling, and the grammar errors. The fixable errors hinder me from giving this book a perfect rating. I rate Whispers Among The Prairie by Michelle Roberts 3 out of 4 stars. Readers who enjoy the stories of the Wild West will find this book unputdownable. The violence and gore were not elucidated so I recommend this book to the young readers as well.

Whispers Among The Prairie
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Dolor's review? Post a comment saying so!
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

Love hath no boundaries. I hope that the love between Morning Dove and Captain McKay will prevail over the resistance. Thank you for a fantastic review of this book.
Dolor
Favorite Author: Craig R. Key
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12472
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dolor.html
Latest Review: The Center of Gravity by Patricia Brandon
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 115430

Post by Dolor »

crediblereading2 wrote: 03 Sep 2018, 16:32 Love hath no boundaries. I hope that the love between Morning Dove and Captain McKay will prevail over the resistance. Thank you for a fantastic review of this book.
Giving additional info about the love story not Morning Dove and Captain McKay is like giving out enough spoilers. I would like you to read this book for you to find out. Thanks for the first-hand comment and compliment. 😉
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

Your anecdote about Clinton's coffee-making prowess made me laugh. Indeed, there are blessings in disguise.

Indian names are fascinating. I think they describe their owners. My Indian name should be interesting.

Thanks for this entertaining review, Lady D!
Laura Ungureanu
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading: The Guardians of Erum and the Calamitous Child of Socotra
Bookshelf Size: 1392
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-ungureanu.html
Latest Review: Love and Marriage by Arthur Hartz

Post by Laura Ungureanu »

Your review was truly enjoyable. I think I won't be able to put this book down. A love story between the Indiands and Americans is something I waited to see for a long time. I was amused by the anecdote of Clinston's coffee that saved the day. Thank you for this amazing review!
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

Its interesting how Tom knew exactly what he wasn't but could not figure out what he could be. Sometimes I get caught up in dilemmas like that - not knowing what I want but having no doubt about what I don't want! Great review as usual!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
OrlaCarty
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-orlacarty.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by OrlaCarty »

That moment you describe - where one character spits out bad coffee made by another, and misses bullets - really strikes me. It's such a humorous take on something terrible. I really love that unique feel, I wonder if the book has more of this?
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

Historical fiction with romance, such an interesting blend. I like the author's ability to take the reader back to that era, it feels so natural and great. Even the characters has done a good job. It's totally a deserving rate. Thank you for your descriptive review!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

Forbidden love in a historical fiction context with plenty of suspense and humorous moments woven in sounds like a wonderful read! Your review makes me want to read this book. Great job!
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a
Sahar Majid
Currently Reading: World, Incorporated
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahar-majid.html
Latest Review: Iron Crossed by Renata Rose and Phil Rose

Post by Sahar Majid »

I've never read books on the Wild West but this certainly sounds interesting. Romance as a genre is usually not my favourite but your review depicts it as a book that is more than just love and includes complex issues as well and so I may just give it a try. Thank you for the wonderful review!
Emi_Review
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emi-review.html
Latest Review: Roadmap to the End of Days by Daniel Friedmann

Post by Emi_Review »

This sounds like a very intriguing read. I love historical fiction but your review made it seem that much more interesting. I enjoyed the coffee story you shared with us. The grammar issues don't seem much of an issue so I'll add this to my reading list. Thank you for the review!

Return to “Historical Fiction”