Review by ShailaSheshadri -- The Spirit of Want

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ShailaSheshadri
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shailasheshadri.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs

Review by ShailaSheshadri -- The Spirit of Want

Post by ShailaSheshadri »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Spirit of Want" by William H. Coles.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

William H. Coles is a gifted writer who has authored many amazing novels. His novels often contain characters similar to the persons we frequently spot around us. They are relatable and charming. The Spirit of Want by Coles is a literary romance fiction that includes a breathtaking, powerful, and realistic plot. I found this novel irresistible. I could not detach myself from the book until I finished reading the entire story. This novel has psychological depth, intense emotions, and insightfulness; it shows the author’s marvelous creative ability as a writer. I can’t wait to read more novels by Coles.

In the story, Lucy is a stunningly attractive and intelligent young lawyer who handles Reverend Hower Bain’s case. Bain was caught in a rape case. Lucy, while defending the case, falls in love with him. Bain loses the case and escapes to Africa. Her attraction to Bain was so intense she ran away to Africa to join him, even though she was married. After experiencing the dreadful truths about him, she returns to her family, only to get rejected by the family members. The characters named Luke and Elizabeth are compassionate, level-headed, and caring. I don’t indeed want to encounter a character like Hower Bain in the real life who possesses a deceptive personality and charms the gullible women. Lucy seems selfish and immature in her decisions.

It was admirable to see how easily William H. Coles drew distinct characters and weaved them so finely with the plot to present a comprehensive story to the readers. All the 300 pages in the novel are intriguing. Hence, I suggest not to skim-read this. Read the book leisurely and enjoy the story. It is worthwhile to notice the emotional depth of the characters in this close-knit plot. You can precisely relate them to the people around you. Follow the entire story to see the epitome of the human want and the response of the human heart to attain it.

The characters in this fiction are smart, lively, and appealing. The readers will surely be engrossed in the story and feel as though they are living amongst these characters. These characters represent the typical persons we see in the society. They make you think as well as help you to arrive at a clear opinion about good and bad. There is a positive message to the society in the novel. The story upholds Christian values. This book is never dull or predictable.

Reading this novel was fun. There was suspense throughout, and I was excited to guess the ensuing happenings in the story. It was entertaining to visualize how the characters may end up. The author adopted a free-flowing writing style. The conversations and the narratives in this novel are fantastic. This book is edited. It contains very few errors. That too, they are unserious in nature. Looking at the fascinating content and the exceptional writing style, I am glad to rate this 4 out of 4 stars. This could be a delightful read for all adult readers of literary fiction. I don't recommend this to children because they may not be able to grasp the depth of the plot.

The Spirit of Want
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like ShailaSheshadri's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”