Review by ccranston -- World, Incorporated by Tom Gariffo

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ccranston
Favorite Book: The Last Time I Lied
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ccranston.html
Latest Review: World, Incorporated by Tom Gariffo

Review by ccranston -- World, Incorporated by Tom Gariffo

Post by ccranston »

[Following is a volunteer review of "World, Incorporated" by Tom Gariffo.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The thing I love most about dystopian fiction is the possibility of it being a reality in the future. World, Incorporated: A Modern Dystopia by Tom Gariffo is one such story. Set in the year 2058, the world is now run by six supercorporations after the downfall of the American economy. What is a supercorporation? A business that provides everything to everyone including food, shelter, health, education, work, and of course goods and services. Everyone is a consumer and is recorded in the supercorporations’ registries. Massive and personalized advertisements are present in every possible space. Consumer loyalty is the goal.

Driven by the need to remain in power, the supercorporations are not above eliminating their enemies by any means necessary. For World, Incorporated, one of the six supercorporations, Agent Sliver is the man to take care of such threats. Without questions, Agent Sliver takes every necessary measure to correct or eliminate his assigned targets. However, much more aware than the CEO, Fellrock, thinks he is, Sliver begins to realize the monster he’s been turned into. Deceived, misguided, and hungry for revenge, Sliver decides to take his life into his own hands and create his own purpose.

World, Incorporated is realistic, entertaining, and action-packed. The fact that this plot could be possible in the future is thought-provoking alone, but the author created a world that is also intriguing. With universal access to education, guaranteed employment and housing, a digital currency, and financial security, it’s easy to get wrapped up in such a “utopia” without thinking about the possible downfalls such as lack of freedom and privacy.

Along with the extraordinary futuristic world, Tom Gariffo is spot on with his characterization. Sliver is portrayed as a broken man, simply just living without feeling. The reader can’t help but feel sorry for him and root for him in the end. Every other character we meet brings their own personality to the story as well. My only complaint about the story is the background information we get in the form of news articles and blogs. They were painfully boring. However, I do understand the purpose of them, as there would be a huge gap in our understanding of this new world without the information.

Dystopian fiction is one of my favorite genres and World, Incorporated did not disappoint, so I give this story 4 out of 4 stars. I highly recommend it to readers who like dystopian novels, history, and science fiction. I think those who enjoy history will appreciate the background information, but for those who don’t, I promise the story is worth reading until the end.

World, Incorporated
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like ccranston's review? Post a comment saying so!
“You know you’ve read a good book when you turn the last page and feel a little as if you have lost a friend." –Paul Sweeney
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

Though this book was a recent BOTM, I have not been able to read it, yet. Your review has sold it to me. I am curious about the rival supercorporations, and the resulting dystopian world. Great review!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
ccranston
Currently Reading:

Post by ccranston »

Thank you! Hope you enjoy reading the book.
“You know you’ve read a good book when you turn the last page and feel a little as if you have lost a friend." –Paul Sweeney
jjmainor
Currently Reading: The House Where Evil Dwells...Thirteen Tells
Bookshelf Size: 171
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jjmainor.html
Latest Review: Beyond Cloud Nine (Beyond Saga Book 1) by Greg Spry

Post by jjmainor »

I'm one of those that loved the news articles, but I think it might have gone better with others if he broke them up a little more so the reader wouldn't get sick of them by the end of the chapter.
ccranston
Currently Reading:

Post by ccranston »

I agree, it was just too much at once. They were interesting at first, but got boring pretty quick for me.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”