Pay to Play

Discuss the May 2016 Book of the Month, Save the Last Bullet for God by JT Alblood.

View Save the Last Bullet for God on Bookshelves

View Save the Last Bullet for God on Amazon
Chris123
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chris123.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Re: Pay to Play

Post by Chris123 »

Hmmm in a way everything has a cost to it. I may receive a free book, but I have to spend time to read it. I don't agree with that statement though, it seems to over simplify a complex subject. :)
katiesquilts
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 649
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katiesquilts.html
Latest Review: Anything For Love by Gracie Bond

Post by katiesquilts »

Chris123 wrote:Hmmm in a way everything has a cost to it. I may receive a free book, but I have to spend time to read it. I don't agree with that statement though, it seems to over simplify a complex subject. :)
Actually, if we're going with that statement, you aren't really paying the cost for the free book with your time. It's actually the author who is paying the cost, because they aren't getting any royalties by giving away their book for free.

Learned that in macroeconomics! :wink: It's about the only thing I took away from that class though, haha.
Kia
Currently Reading: Damaged Goods
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kia.html
Latest Review: Wheel of Katarnum by James Calliotte
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kia »

I absolutely agree that there is a cost to existing. As humans, we have to work hard to obtain the food, water and shelter we need to survive. The cost of living in a community is that we all have to give up some of our individual rights to freedom for the overall good of the community.
"Yes, the past can hurt. But the way I see it you can either run from it, or learn from it."- Rafiki
LarkSpur25
Currently Reading: Keeper of the Heart
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-larkspur25.html

Post by LarkSpur25 »

I believe that for every one thing done, there is a reaction. But, that being said, there is not always a price to be paid for it. I own and operate a cattle ranch and I've seen many different actions that have come with a price, sometimes a steep one, and yet again many that have not. Maybe it's just that I might perceive things differently than others? It's possible that to some they may see a price was paid or owed where I would not.
stoppoppingtheP
Favorite Author: Adriana Trigiani
Favorite Book: The Hand of Fatima
Currently Reading: High Low In-Between
Bookshelf Size: 162
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stoppoppingthep.html
Latest Review: If I Only Knew by Kim Simmons
fav_author_id: 8071

Post by stoppoppingtheP »

I think that every person does need to 'pay' to be a part of this society. However, payment doesn't necessarily mean physical input. A person who is good and kind to others, who helps others in society can be seen as paying because they are inputting in to the society in a positive way. At least, that's my view.

“there have been so many times
i have seen a man wanting to weep
but
instead
beat his heart until it was unconscious.

-masculine”

― Nayyirah Waheed
CataclysmicKnight
Favorite Book: Ready Player One
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1693
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cataclysmicknight.html
Latest Review: Simple Man Simple Message by Mark Dobosz

Post by CataclysmicKnight »

I definitely agree that everything costs some type of price, even something like using twitter, playing games or heading out and playing Pokemon Go (my new addiction). For a lot of these things, the price is something as simple as the time it takes to use it or the emotional weight of reading something sad. For many of the things in life, that price is absolutely worth it!

With communities being one of the things mentioned originally, I definitely think they have a shared price among everyone within them. After finishing Falling Skies on Amazon Instant Video and with being a huge fan of post-apocalyptic stories, a lot of times the hardest price to pay is just trust.
Nothing is true, everything is permitted.
CrescentMoon
Currently Reading: Superhighway
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crescentmoon.html
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey

Post by CrescentMoon »

As others have said I disagree with this statement too. I also feel like it's way to cynical to think this way and honestly overly done and cliche. A cynical person who thinks this way is most likely just really unhappy. I find this to be a very boring and non-unique outlook of life.
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey
Naval Aulakh
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-naval-aulakh.html
Latest Review: "The Deserving" by Efren O'brien

Post by Naval Aulakh »

I don't think that people only live and do things to earn. There is a lot more to it like love and passion for certain things.
Live Life to the Fullest and Enjoy Reading!!
Latest Review: "The Deserving" by Efren O'brien
Tony Nyakinda
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tony-nyakinda.html
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs

Post by Tony Nyakinda »

Our price for living and exsisting as humans, to my understanding is far beyond us. In relation to religion, I believe it take much more than us to exsist. The devine intervention of supreme being. Science as also proven this. For me I attribute my exsistance to God and His undying overwhelming grace upon my life.
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs
vaz222
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vaz222.html
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare

Post by vaz222 »

I agree because to exist as a human you have to contribute, in some way, to the planet. Everything we do affects not only our own lives but those around us.
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare
inaramid
Currently Reading: Siege and Storm
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inaramid.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Post by inaramid »

I think it's really more a matter of making meaning out of your life, that your existence should amount to something at the end of it all. Perhaps that is just another way of saying it.

Return to “"Save the Last Bullet for God" by JT Alblood”