Pay to Play

Discuss the May 2016 Book of the Month, Save the Last Bullet for God by JT Alblood.

View Save the Last Bullet for God on Bookshelves

View Save the Last Bullet for God on Amazon
bluemel4
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Anne Bishop
Currently Reading: The Dark Tower, Books 1-3
Bookshelf Size: 466
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluemel4.html
Latest Review: "Severed Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 6086

Pay to Play

Post by bluemel4 »

The character Ender states, "Everything has to pay a price to exist, even human communities." Do you agree or disagree? If you agree what do you think is the price we pay for existence?
"Life is a journey, not a destination" --Ralph Waldo Emerson
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

I disagree and think it is too simplistic a view. People don't just do things for their usefulness and expedience, but for other reasons as well such as love or moral obligation. I have a dog because I love animals and not just because he does anything I can gain from.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
bluemel4
Favorite Author: Anne Bishop
Currently Reading: The Dark Tower, Books 1-3
Bookshelf Size: 466
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluemel4.html
fav_author_id: 6086

Post by bluemel4 »

Great point! @gali It reminds me of the argument that nothing we do can ever be considered selfless because we always gain from our acts in some way. I hate this cynical view of humanity.
"Life is a journey, not a destination" --Ralph Waldo Emerson
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

bluemel4 wrote:Great point! @gali It reminds me of the argument that nothing we do can ever be considered selfless because we always gain from our acts in some way. I hate this cynical view of humanity.
:text-yeahthat:
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
LivreAmour217
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by LivreAmour217 »

I agree with the previous posts. I wish that I had something more to contribute to the discussion, but Gali and Bluemel have said it all :D
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
Vermont Reviews
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 4468">Scam Prevention</a>
Currently Reading: A Roadmap To Career Success
Bookshelf Size: 507
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vermont-reviews.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Vermont Reviews »

gali wrote:
bluemel4 wrote:Great point! @gali It reminds me of the argument that nothing we do can ever be considered selfless because we always gain from our acts in some way. I hate this cynical view of humanity.
:text-yeahthat:
We often find that whatever we give tends to come back to us.

Vermont Reviews
L_Therese
Currently Reading: American Psycho
Bookshelf Size: 1970
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-l-therese.html
Latest Review: The Middle Ages by Jane Chance

Post by L_Therese »

If you are willing to argue that consequences of existence are a price paid for the privilege, this statement makes sense. However, since existence is a fact and not a choice (because a chooser must exist first in order to make a choice), the statement doesn't jive. Consequences, both positive and negative, are complicated and ripple effects make entities and events inextricably intertwined. In that sense, every entity and event comes with a cost, but it isn't a fair system of evaluation. The fullness of consequence can only be speculated and there are severe limits on advance knowledge of these "costs" prior to the advent of any thing or situation. In short, I'm no fan of the statement.
e-tasana-williams
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-e-tasana-williams.html
Latest Review: Monkey Mind Madness by Sharon Dorival

Post by e-tasana-williams »

In regard to the human communities referred to in the original statement, I do agree that there is a price to pay to *continue* to exist. Communities have to have rules for each of their members to coexist (peacefully, successfully, profitably, etc.), otherwise there would be chaos. In this example, the price to pay would be making the rules a priority over personal preference in order to move toward the goal, whatever the goal of the community is.

I don't agree, though, that everything has to pay a price to exist in the first place. L_Therese put it nicely.
Once you learn to read, you will be forever free ~ Frederick Douglas
katiesquilts
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 649
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katiesquilts.html
Latest Review: Anything For Love by Gracie Bond

Post by katiesquilts »

Maybe the "cost" of existence is paid by our moms? :lol:

I do think that every action has a reaction, and choosing to go down one path means giving up the other. Also, people are so intertwined nowadays that purchasing one brand over another can determine whether or not someone in another country will have a job or not. So even the little things that we do in our own communities affect people in communities far away from us.
Vermont Reviews
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 4468">Scam Prevention</a>
Currently Reading: A Roadmap To Career Success
Bookshelf Size: 507
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vermont-reviews.html
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Vermont Reviews »

katiesquilts wrote:Maybe the "cost" of existence is paid by our moms? :lol:

I do think that every action has a reaction, and choosing to go down one path means giving up the other. Also, people are so intertwined nowadays that purchasing one brand over another can determine whether or not someone in another country will have a job or not. So even the little things that we do in our own communities affect people in communities far away from us.

Very well said.

Vermont Reviews
literarycat
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Currently Reading: Survivors: Secrets
Bookshelf Size: 2331
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-literarycat.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi
Reading Device: B004DLPXAO
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by literarycat »

I think the price for existence is the trials and hardships we go through in life. There seems to be something we need to overcome whether it be depression, addiction, abuse, financial hardship and so many other things that come with simply existing. Some people go through a hardship of being discriminated against for the color of their skin, gendet, sexual orientation, nationality and even religion. Things that can't be helped, they are being punished for.

I like what Katiesquilt said about the littlest of things we do in a community goes a long way or changes a person's life. We don't think about how our actions can effect the life of our neighbors.
The world breaks everyone, and afterwards, some are strong at the broken points ~ Ernest Hemingway.
TangledinText
Currently Reading: The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookfix-blog.html
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks

Post by TangledinText »

Life and time is a price we pay. The dwindling down of our existence and everything we encounter because of living.
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks
Annelore Trujillo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annelore-trujillo.html
Latest Review: Starlight Life by N.C Brightman

Post by Annelore Trujillo »

It made sense the way it was discussed in the book. We do all pay a price to exist. I mean, we can't just sit around and do nothing in order to survive. Even as just instinctual beings, we have to find food and water to survive. That could even be considered a price to pay for living.
thomaslaw3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thomaslaw3.html
Reading Device: B006PLODWE

Post by thomaslaw3 »

Piggybacking on what katiesquilts said, therapist explain that any single change changes everything. In other words, anything we do that is different than what we have done in the past elicits a change by others who have experienced our past actions. This requires them to change something they are doing, cascading to others as well.

There is a "price" to pay if we are to live in society. We are social beings and, therefore, it is difficult for us not to commune with others. As such, there are some norms that are expected from us if we are to continue to be part of that group. Therefore, besides just the price of staying alive, we also pay a price to be.
Mlorene1993
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mlorene1993.html
Latest Review: "Once Upon a One Night Stand" by D.N. Hoxa

Post by Mlorene1993 »

I completely disagree. This view is very close minded and dull.
Latest Review: "Once Upon a One Night Stand" by D.N. Hoxa

Return to “"Save the Last Bullet for God" by JT Alblood”