Maria and the Psychiatrist- spilers

Discuss the May 2016 Book of the Month, Save the Last Bullet for God by JT Alblood.

View Save the Last Bullet for God on Bookshelves

View Save the Last Bullet for God on Amazon
TangledinText
Currently Reading: The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookfix-blog.html
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks

Re: Maria and the Psychiatrist- spilers

Post by TangledinText »

The relationship is wrong but its so wrong in a degree that makes you think of who much and to what extent might these things be happening today and we are not noticing.
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

L_Therese wrote:I found the relationship with the patient much more disturbing than the passing of drugs to an addict. Both are bad behaviors, but the former seems like more of a violation of trust than the latter. Plotwise, I was not all that bothered by the lack of immediate and obvious punishment. The doctor appeared to be avoiding paperwork, which is an understandable motive, and our psychiatrist was punished in a more karmic sense later in life when he realized that he was only a tool. I can't admire these characters, but I think I understand them.

I found that relationship extremely disturbing, especially since I've had loved ones who were patients in mental hospitals. I do think the trust issue is so important between patients and their doctors (and other caregivers). I'd like to think these things are less likely to happen today with better systems in place to protect the patient. Like you, I did enjoy seeing karma get the best of Reich.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
Mares Nest
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Currently Reading: The Pearl that Broke Its Shell
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mares-nest.html
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by Mares Nest »

Books, how they rip out our hearts. And the authors, playing with our emotions endlessly. But as a regular reader, I've grown used to it. The author has absolute control over these characters, and I loved the relationship they shared.
CrescentMoon
Currently Reading: Superhighway
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crescentmoon.html
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey

Post by CrescentMoon »

I find the patient relationship was very disturbing as well. These types of relationships are very disturbing to me because I actually want to be a doctor myself and the thought of a doctor abusing trust like that is really scary and disturbing to me.
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey
Kitkat3
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 1496">Milk and Honey</a>
Currently Reading: All the Light We Cannot See
Bookshelf Size: 254
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kitkat3.html
Latest Review: A Bundle of Colorful Yarns by Louis Winslow

Post by Kitkat3 »

I feel like the psychiatrist was punished in that Maria used him. I did find it a little disturbing that he got to pursue his medical degree after that. I think that was a sign of the times like other people have said. I feel like Maria and the psychiatrist do go together, because both of them appear to have little to no conscience. The flawed nature of all of the characters make the book better. They make the story line more complex, and it makes the characters rounded and more human.

Return to “"Save the Last Bullet for God" by JT Alblood”