Themes

Discuss the May 2016 Book of the Month, Save the Last Bullet for God by JT Alblood.

View Save the Last Bullet for God on Bookshelves

View Save the Last Bullet for God on Amazon
Amheiser
Currently Reading: Freedom
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amheiser.html
Latest Review: "Beginners only dance book" by Allen g darnel

Re: Themes

Post by Amheiser »

" . . . our understanding is limited by current knowledge, and that which is not believable today, may be believable in the future." I think this is an important idea that was explained really well in this book.

" . . .the idea of "survival of the strongest" whether due to disease, access to resources, or war". This is an interesting idea expressed in this book to explain the weeding out of the weak to make a population stronger.

"I found many of the ideas and themes to be fairly complex, but well explained." I agree with this statement.

: . . .changing the past to change the future". I like how this story included this idea.

" I found the theory of an alien "soul" living in us" a very interesting concept. " I agree with this statement.

The above are a number of statements that I found in prior posts that I agree with and find very interesting.
Latest Review: "Beginners only dance book" by Allen g darnel
afrakes
Currently Reading: Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-afrakes.html

Post by afrakes »

While I have not read this book yet, I came to this post to see the underlying religious themes in the book. From the reply, it looks as though it's not as big of a factor as I would have anticipated. This book is definitely going to be added to my "want to read" list. :)
Annelore Trujillo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annelore-trujillo.html
Latest Review: Starlight Life by N.C Brightman

Post by Annelore Trujillo »

I agree that some were easy and that some were difficult to understand. I thought some of the concepts were definitely thought-provoking, but others were completely unrealistic. I think the most interesting to me was the idea of the aliens being our consciousness.
Kia
Currently Reading: Damaged Goods
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kia.html
Latest Review: Wheel of Katarnum by James Calliotte
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kia »

I really liked the idea that we only understand what we can see. If someone were to describe to us something we had never experienced we wouldn't believe them. Mostly though I found a lot of the ideas rather confusing.
"Yes, the past can hurt. But the way I see it you can either run from it, or learn from it."- Rafiki
Mares Nest
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Currently Reading: The Pearl that Broke Its Shell
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mares-nest.html
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by Mares Nest »

This book did make me wonder. I mean, just read the title, it's bound to make your head go places. And I think that's the best thing about reading, it opens you to new possibilities and ideas.
rssllue
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by rssllue »

Sarah G wrote:The part with the Black Death having concious thoughts for me was a bit too much for me. I think this is because it's one of the concepts I actually know well.

However the section about changing the past was more agreeable because I didn't know as much about the subject to now of any arguments against it.

I did like that fact the book questioned old theories in a way. It made a lot more interesting compared to other similar books.
I think that questioning old theories can be a good thing because they should stand up to scrutiny if they are strong to begin with. I believe that we have way too many theories out there that are just taught and taken as fact when they have never really been proven. We as a species tend to fall into groupthink way too easy at times because of social pressures and the like. Truth is often difficult to find and admit to in our experiences in this day and age.
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
CrescentMoon
Currently Reading: Superhighway
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crescentmoon.html
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey

Post by CrescentMoon »

I definitely think this book is not a light-read and is a thinker. I loved the whole contemplation about reality and perception of reality. That actually reminds me a lot of Twilight Zone episodes where what we think is real may actually not be. And it really makes me question what actually is real or not. I do enjoy thinking about these themes. I definitely think the author did a great job getting the reader to think and question.
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey
Naval Aulakh
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-naval-aulakh.html
Latest Review: "The Deserving" by Efren O'brien

Post by Naval Aulakh »

It was a mixed experience for me. Some of the themes were easy to understand but some were really difficult.
Live Life to the Fullest and Enjoy Reading!!
Latest Review: "The Deserving" by Efren O'brien

Return to “"Save the Last Bullet for God" by JT Alblood”