The ending - spoilers

Discuss the May 2016 Book of the Month, Save the Last Bullet for God by JT Alblood.

View Save the Last Bullet for God on Bookshelves

View Save the Last Bullet for God on Amazon
Vermont Reviews
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 4468">Scam Prevention</a>
Currently Reading: A Roadmap To Career Success
Bookshelf Size: 507
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vermont-reviews.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Re: The ending - spoilers

Post by Vermont Reviews »

ellie_calvin wrote:
stoppoppingtheP wrote:I'm still confused.

I think, perhaps the author was trying to say that this 'thing' was a soul, and it sort of got reincarnated into different bodies throughout time, until it 'discovered something that it was supposed to.

maybe...
I thought the same but took it a little bit further. This "thing" is an alien and is what gives humans consciousness. It relocates into different bodies to learn different things but also to exterminate species that do not add to the overall good of this alien race (the pay to play idea they kept referencing). As Ceci, Black Death, and Francisco it learns to feed off human emotions, and since they are all negative emotions it thinks those are what it wants and needs to survive. As Reich it learns to love and in Oktay it learns the value of love. It returns to Reich to "kill God" and save it's first love.

The ending was very unclear and this is how I have interpreted it after a lot of thought. I just cannot get this book out of my head! I lent this book to a friend so I apologize if I got the wrong name for some of the characters.

I liked this statement

Vermont Reviews
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
gaporter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gaporter.html
Latest Review: Lives of Museum Junkies by Marilynne Eichinger
Reading Device: B0051VVOB2

Post by gaporter »

ellie_calvin wrote:
stoppoppingtheP wrote:I'm still confused.

I think, perhaps the author was trying to say that this 'thing' was a soul, and it sort of got reincarnated into different bodies throughout time, until it 'discovered something that it was supposed to.

maybe...
I thought the same but took it a little bit further. This "thing" is an alien and is what gives humans consciousness. It relocates into different bodies to learn different things but also to exterminate species that do not add to the overall good of this alien race (the pay to play idea they kept referencing). As Ceci, Black Death, and Francisco it learns to feed off human emotions, and since they are all negative emotions it thinks those are what it wants and needs to survive. As Reich it learns to love and in Oktay it learns the value of love. It returns to Reich to "kill God" and save it's first love.

The ending was very unclear and this is how I have interpreted it after a lot of thought. I just cannot get this book out of my head! I lent this book to a friend so I apologize if I got the wrong name for some of the characters.
I understood the concepts about reincarnation and the alien-human consciousness and I thought these were interesting. But I didn't see how God played into the book at all, really. Maybe I need to reread a few parts, but it's hard to tell where the line is between the author purposefully leaving things vague and up to interpretation and the author not fully delivering the message that he intended.
Annelore Trujillo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annelore-trujillo.html
Latest Review: Starlight Life by N.C Brightman

Post by Annelore Trujillo »

I found it slightly confusing as well. I feel like it connected all of the parts together, but I didn't understand what had actually happened. I know the purpose of the mission throughout the book was to kill God. However I didn't feel like the ending showed how or if this was done. I read the book because of the mission, but the mission was confusing.
Kia
Currently Reading: Damaged Goods
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kia.html
Latest Review: Wheel of Katarnum by James Calliotte
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kia »

Wow, I'm so glad I wasn't the only one who was really confused by the ending. I think that the aliens take over the living things on Earth as their consciousness and throughout history have eliminated the undesirable people to create a superior race. How God ties into it and how the whole story fits together though I really am not clear on.
"Yes, the past can hurt. But the way I see it you can either run from it, or learn from it."- Rafiki
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

gali wrote:
rachel_jacks wrote:I interpreted it a little differently. Throughout the book, it seemed like God didn't matter; there were forces bigger than God. In the end, it was like God was actually the key to it all. Things finally changed when he made this realization. At least that's how I interpreted it.
I interpreted it in a similar manner. But I think that as humans, even believers in a god, often find there a bigger forces when faced with adversity, such as seen in this book.

-- 30 Jun 2016, 15:15 --

[/quote]
Every author has the ability to make the reader wonder.[/quote]

So very true! Making the reader wonder is part of what makes a book a great story!
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
Mares Nest
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Currently Reading: The Pearl that Broke Its Shell
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mares-nest.html
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by Mares Nest »

I was a bit confused at the end. We find we were looking for all along, yes, but at the same time we were trying to kill it. Some of us thought it was already dead. But loved the whole concept of the alien and how they're the ones who gave us conscience.
Amheiser
Currently Reading: Freedom
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amheiser.html
Latest Review: "Beginners only dance book" by Allen g darnel

Post by Amheiser »

rachel_jacks wrote:I interpreted it a little differently. Throughout the book, it seemed like God didn't matter; there were forces bigger than God. In the end, it was like God was actually the key to it all. Things finally changed when he made this realization. At least that's how I interpreted it.
That's the conclusion I came to also. I think the end is a bit confusing on purpose so that people have to think about how it more and maybe come to this conclusion, but I also think that maybe it's not quite so straightforward as that and people have to think about it more and come to their own interpretations.
Latest Review: "Beginners only dance book" by Allen g darnel
Annelore Trujillo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annelore-trujillo.html
Latest Review: Starlight Life by N.C Brightman

Post by Annelore Trujillo »

Taylor Razzani wrote:I'm glad that I'm not the only one that didn't get the ending. I didn't get the point the author was trying to make throughout the whole book really, so the ending didn't really shed any light on that either.
I felt the same way. I didn't think it explained everything as well ax it could have. I expected a lot more so I was a bit disappointed.
CrescentMoon
Currently Reading: Superhighway
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crescentmoon.html
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey

Post by CrescentMoon »

I definitely thought the ending was confusing and I actually think it was meant to be. I think it really is up to the reader to figure out what it means to each their own. I feel like the reader's own faith would play a huge role in the interpretation of the ending as well. Like an atheist for example might realize that God is not needed or a person who does believe in God actually does need God in their life, etc.
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey
Kitkat3
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 1496">Milk and Honey</a>
Currently Reading: All the Light We Cannot See
Bookshelf Size: 254
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kitkat3.html
Latest Review: A Bundle of Colorful Yarns by Louis Winslow

Post by Kitkat3 »

I thought the ending was saying that he goes to save Maria and aborts the mission to kill God, so love saves God. I had to sit there and contemplate it for 30 minutes at 3 a.m., and I still don't think I fully understood it. Was the program unsuccessful and that's why he was given his 'fictional happiness'? Was that the desired outcome? I'm not even sure I understand how they planned to kill God. Sending someone to hell maybe? Haha I think I need to read it again.
mmandy38
Favorite Author: Nicholas Sparks
Currently Reading: The Zookeeper's Wife
Bookshelf Size: 132
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mmandy38.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0
fav_author_id: 2460

Post by mmandy38 »

I completely agree with KitKat. I think it was an ambiguous ending and I'm not sure where they planned to go from there. Also (not quite at the end) but when they revealed who the blind soldier was, I was completely thrown.
Nmesoma
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nmesoma.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Nmesoma »

I think the author was trying to hint that even though throughout the book there seemed to be things existing on the cosmic level bigger than God, God was the root of everything.

Return to “"Save the Last Bullet for God" by JT Alblood”