Overall Opinion of Save the Last Bullet for God

Discuss the May 2016 Book of the Month, Save the Last Bullet for God by JT Alblood.

View Save the Last Bullet for God on Bookshelves

View Save the Last Bullet for God on Amazon
Rhoe_Marrow
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rhoe-marrow.html
Latest Review: Audible Book of your Choice by Amazon

Re: Overall Opinion of Save the Last Bullet for God

Post by Rhoe_Marrow »

So far I am liking the book and am encouraged to read on. It is a little crazy and hard to follow in the beginning, but the more I read on, the harder it is to let go and stop reading. Can't wait to read what happens next
ellie_calvin
Currently Reading: Tell Me When It Hurts
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellie-calvin.html
Latest Review: "Flaherty's Crossing" by Kaylin McFarren
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by ellie_calvin »

I really enjoyed reading this book! It was an exciting read and I had a hard time putting it down. I loved the complexity of the plot and the development of the main character. The concept was extremely unique and has left me reconsidering the way I view the world. This book is very well researched and I appreciated the attention the author gave to various fields of science. I do, however, feel that this book may not be for everyone. The time jumping makes the story hard to follow at some points and the complex use of mathematical and physics theory may be off-putting to some readers.
Latest Review: "Flaherty's Crossing" by Kaylin McFarren
Vermont Reviews
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 4468">Scam Prevention</a>
Currently Reading: A Roadmap To Career Success
Bookshelf Size: 507
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vermont-reviews.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Vermont Reviews »

ellie_calvin wrote:I really enjoyed reading this book! It was an exciting read and I had a hard time putting it down. I loved the complexity of the plot and the development of the main character. The concept was extremely unique and has left me reconsidering the way I view the world. This book is very well researched and I appreciated the attention the author gave to various fields of science. I do, however, feel that this book may not be for everyone. The time jumping makes the story hard to follow at some points and the complex use of mathematical and physics theory may be off-putting to some readers.

Very nice write up

Vermont Reviews
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

I liked and enjoyed the book a lot. It wasn't an easy book to read because of the complexity of the plots, but I guess that's part of its charm. It is obviously written by a highly intellectual person and a very talented writer.
Sarah G
Favorite Author: Brandon Sanderson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-g.html
Latest Review: Smith by Sam B Miller II
fav_author_id: 4040

Post by Sarah G »

Some parts of the book I raly liked whilst others I found dragged a little, which makes it really hard to give a 'star value'. I really enjoyed Oktay's storyline however Cuci and the Black Death were not as enjoyable and probably could have been cut down.

I did find the beginning of the book very confusing, however after reading re-reading it after completing the book I found it much more enjoyable. The book is unique but not all of it was to my taste. Some sections were and some weren't,; but that does tend to be the case with these kind of books.
The purpose of a storyteller is not to tell you how to think, but to give you questions to think upon
Taylor Razzani
Favorite Author: Carlos Ruiz Zafón
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 59294">The Shadow of the Wind (The Cemetery of Forgotten Books)</a>
Currently Reading: The Bachman Books
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taylor-razzani.html
Latest Review: The Hand Bringer by Christopher J. Penington
fav_author_id: 2684

Post by Taylor Razzani »

Sarah G, I agree about the Cuci and the Black Death storylines, they were basically the same thing. I feel like the Black Death portion could have been interesting if it had not directly followed Cuci's storyline. After reading about invasion and killing for however many pages it would have been nice to read something different.

It is hard to give this book a star rating. It wouldn't be fair to give it a low rating just because I personally didn't understand a lot of it. I did like some parts, like when you find out why Oktay's story was so weird (my favorite part). But overall it felt a little disjointed and I agree that it was a book all it's own.
stoppoppingtheP
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Adriana Trigiani
Favorite Book: The Hand of Fatima
Currently Reading: High Low In-Between
Bookshelf Size: 162
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stoppoppingthep.html
Latest Review: If I Only Knew by Kim Simmons
fav_author_id: 8071

Post by stoppoppingtheP »

It's a very confusing book. Each individual story is very interesting and well written in its own right, especially the story about Oktay, but I don't really understand how and why they are tied all together.

“there have been so many times
i have seen a man wanting to weep
but
instead
beat his heart until it was unconscious.

-masculine”

― Nayyirah Waheed
LivreAmour217
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by LivreAmour217 »

I have to admit that I found the story to be a little odd and difficult to understand in some places, but it was well-written and original. It would be unfair to undermine the author's talent and creativity, so I would give this book three stars.
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
Sarah G
Favorite Author: Brandon Sanderson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-g.html
Latest Review: Smith by Sam B Miller II
fav_author_id: 4040

Post by Sarah G »

Taylor Razzani wrote:Sarah G, I agree about the Cuci and the Black Death storylines, they were basically the same thing. I feel like the Black Death portion could have been interesting if it had not directly followed Cuci's storyline. After reading about invasion and killing for however many pages it would have been nice to read something different.
Yeh it was a bit too much of the same thing and might have been improved with reordering of the stories maybe?
The purpose of a storyteller is not to tell you how to think, but to give you questions to think upon
LivreAmour217
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by LivreAmour217 »

Sarah G wrote:
Taylor Razzani wrote:Sarah G, I agree about the Cuci and the Black Death storylines, they were basically the same thing. I feel like the Black Death portion could have been interesting if it had not directly followed Cuci's storyline. After reading about invasion and killing for however many pages it would have been nice to read something different.
Yeh it was a bit too much of the same thing and might have been improved with reordering of the stories maybe?
I personally could have done without the Cuci storyline, as it was just too brutal. However, the Black Death storyline was interesting, albeit morbid. The concept of a sentient microorganism was very creative, in my opinion. Plus, I was less disturbed by a non-human entity taking pleasure in human suffering than by a horde of bloodthirsty humans that relish killing.
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

LivreAmour217 wrote:
Sarah G wrote:
I personally could have done without the Cuci storyline, as it was just too brutal. However, the Black Death storyline was interesting, albeit morbid. The concept of a sentient microorganism was very creative, in my opinion. Plus, I was less disturbed by a non-human entity taking pleasure in human suffering than by a horde of bloodthirsty humans that relish killing.

I agree. I found it too bloodthirsty and way too long.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
stoppoppingtheP
Favorite Author: Adriana Trigiani
Favorite Book: The Hand of Fatima
Currently Reading: High Low In-Between
Bookshelf Size: 162
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stoppoppingthep.html
Latest Review: If I Only Knew by Kim Simmons
fav_author_id: 8071

Post by stoppoppingtheP »

I actually liked the story about Cuci, I've always found the Mongols so interesting.
Their life is brutal, it always made me wonder why they murdered and lived the way they did, so this insider perspective was interesting to read.

“there have been so many times
i have seen a man wanting to weep
but
instead
beat his heart until it was unconscious.

-masculine”

― Nayyirah Waheed
Taylor Razzani
Favorite Author: Carlos Ruiz Zafón
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 59294">The Shadow of the Wind (The Cemetery of Forgotten Books)</a>
Currently Reading: The Bachman Books
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taylor-razzani.html
Latest Review: The Hand Bringer by Christopher J. Penington
fav_author_id: 2684

Post by Taylor Razzani »

LivreAmour217 wrote:
Sarah G wrote:
Reordering of the stories or maybe a little less of Cuci's story, either one I could get behind. Cuci's life had it's interesting points, but after so much killing it got boring and repetitive and it seemed necessary. I did find the Black Death to be much more intriguing, probably because I've never read about it from the Plague's perspective :wink:
Vermont Reviews
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 4468">Scam Prevention</a>
Currently Reading: A Roadmap To Career Success
Bookshelf Size: 507
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vermont-reviews.html
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Vermont Reviews »

Taylor Razzani wrote:
LivreAmour217 wrote:
Sarah G wrote:
Reordering of the stories or maybe a little less of Cuci's story, either one I could get behind. Cuci's life had it's interesting points, but after so much killing it got boring and repetitive and it seemed necessary. I did find the Black Death to be much more intriguing, probably because I've never read about it from the Plague's perspective :wink:

Agreed

Vermont Reviews
kklaudi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kklaudi.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kklaudi »

All in all I found this book to be quite enjoyable. Not an easy read, at least not for me, but it was interesting and unique. Only thing that bothered me a bit that...it had a lot of small details and storylines but no base or depth. But maybe it is just me. After all, it is far from being my cup of tea :)

But would suggest it.

Return to “"Save the Last Bullet for God" by JT Alblood”