Overall Opinion of Save the Last Bullet for God

Discuss the May 2016 Book of the Month, Save the Last Bullet for God by JT Alblood.

View Save the Last Bullet for God on Bookshelves

View Save the Last Bullet for God on Amazon
Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 248825

Overall Opinion of Save the Last Bullet for God

Post by Scott »

First, if you have not already, please submit your rating of the May Book of the Month, Save the Last Bullet for God, using the Bookshelves page for the book.

Then, use this topic to discuss your overall opinions of the book.

Do you recommend others read it? Why or why not? What do you like most about it? What do you like least?
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

I liked the book overall and found it a good read. It was very well-written and the premise was very original. The story was complex, but easy to follow. The beginning was a bit confusing, but all was make clear later on. I found the book engaging and entertaining throughout, though some parts dragged a bit. It is clear a lot of research was done on this book, and it was very well done. I especially liked the story of Oktay and the twist at its end. The story of Cuci was very interesting as well, but a bit long. It could be trimmed down a little and tighten up in my view. It may be just me but some of the theories of the aliens reminded me of the Nazi racial theories. The ending was a bit confusing and I am not sure I completely figured it out.

Saying that, I loved the book and couldn't put it down. The author weaves together an excellent, unique book and I definitely recommend it.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
stoppoppingtheP
Favorite Author: Adriana Trigiani
Favorite Book: The Hand of Fatima
Currently Reading: High Low In-Between
Bookshelf Size: 162
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stoppoppingthep.html
Latest Review: If I Only Knew by Kim Simmons
fav_author_id: 8071

Post by stoppoppingtheP »

I'm not finished with the book, I'm probably about half way now. The one thing I noticed about the book though, is the part about 'The code of disjointed letters' . This is about the other book that this author has written, but it is exactly, word for word, the other book. So in fact I had read that part of the story already, so it was a bit repetitive to read it again.

“there have been so many times
i have seen a man wanting to weep
but
instead
beat his heart until it was unconscious.

-masculine”

― Nayyirah Waheed
Vermont Reviews
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 4468">Scam Prevention</a>
Currently Reading: A Roadmap To Career Success
Bookshelf Size: 507
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vermont-reviews.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Vermont Reviews »

gali wrote:I liked the book overall and found it a good read. It was very well-written and the premise was very original. The story was complex, but easy to follow. The beginning was a bit confusing, but all was make clear later on. I found the book engaging and entertaining throughout, though some parts dragged a bit. It is clear a lot of research was done on this book, and it was very well done. I especially liked the story of Oktay and the twist at its end. The story of Cuci was very interesting as well, but a bit long. It could be trimmed down a little and tighten up in my view. It may be just me but some of the theories of the aliens reminded me of the Nazi racial theories. The ending was a bit confusing and I am not sure I completely figured it out.

Saying that, I loved the book and couldn't put it down. The author weaves together an excellent, unique book and I definitely recommend it.
I agree with gali. I enjoyed the book as well.
Laura19804
Favorite Book: The Night Circus
Currently Reading: A history of the world in 100 objects
Bookshelf Size: 610

Post by Laura19804 »

I'm finding save the last bullet for God very hard to review and give a "star value" on the one hand it's very unique, thought provoking and some of the stories I really enjoyed but on the other hand I didn't like the fact that when I developed an attachment to the character the story suddenly changed completely, some of the stories could have done with editing to make the book as a whole flow better and the theories were a little too out there for me. Wishing there was a 2.5 star but I think I'm rounding to a three due to his unique approach.
TrishaAnn92
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2595">The Messenger (2)</a>
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trishaann92.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
Publishing Contest Votes: 20

Post by TrishaAnn92 »

I haven't started reading the book yet, too much going on, but I am going to start in the next few days. I am looking forward to it as I have heard a lot of good things about it.
Vermont Reviews
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 4468">Scam Prevention</a>

An enjoyable story.
tortoise keeper
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tortoise-keeper.html
Latest Review: "Undead Redhead" by Jen Frankel
Reading Device: B0192AFG7A

Post by tortoise keeper »

I just finished reading the book and I enjoyed it. I was surprised because it is not the type of novel that I would normally read. I liked the section about Oktay even though the math was over my head. The story of Cici was interesting but slow and needed condensing. I'm not sure I quite understood the entire ending of the story. I might have to go back and read it again. I would recommend this novel because it has such a unique theme. It is completely different than anything I have read before.
Latest Review: "Undead Redhead" by Jen Frankel
Vermont Reviews

tortoise keeper wrote:I just finished reading the book and I enjoyed it. I was surprised because it is not the type of novel that I would normally read. I liked the section about Oktay even though the math was over my head. The story of Cici was interesting but slow and needed condensing. I'm not sure I quite understood the entire ending of the story. I might have to go back and read it again. I would recommend this novel because it has such a unique theme. It is completely different than anything I have read before.

I agree
lmoses
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lmoses.html
Latest Review: "Incandescent" by Shannon Avangeline

Post by lmoses »

I really wanted to like this book because of how unique it is, but unfortunately, I did not enjoy it like I had hoped. This is not my typical read or genre of books, so while I did not enjoy it, fans of stories that are unique will like this. It is also because of this that I am not going to give the book a rating based on my slanted view. The book was well written and very unique, and I do understand why many fans enjoyed reading it.
Latest Review: "Incandescent" by Shannon Avangeline
MandySims
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mandysims.html
Latest Review: Audible Book of your Choice by Amazon
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by MandySims »

This is going on my reading list!
Vermont Reviews

MandySims wrote:This is going on my reading list!
You will like the book.
CataclysmicKnight
Favorite Book: Ready Player One
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1693
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cataclysmicknight.html
Latest Review: Simple Man Simple Message by Mark Dobosz

Post by CataclysmicKnight »

I have the book from when it was available previously, but haven't had a chance to read it either. From the sound of it, though, it's definitely something I'll have to read! Looks like it earned its book of the month placement!
Nothing is true, everything is permitted.
Vermont Reviews

Check it out you'll like it.
PashaRu
Currently Reading: Vicars of Christ - The Dark Side of the Papacy
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pasharu.html
Latest Review: "Damn Females on the Lawn" by Rachel Hurd

Post by PashaRu »

Not exactly rave reviews for this one, it seems. Many here have it on their TBR list. I don't. Not yet, anyway.
[Insert quote here. Read. Raise an eyebrow. Be mildly amused. Rinse & repeat.]
Latest Review: "Damn Females on the Lawn" by Rachel Hurd

Return to “"Save the Last Bullet for God" by JT Alblood”