Official Review: His Fool by Garry Sullivan

Use this sub-forum to discuss comic books and graphic novels.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Official Review: His Fool by Garry Sullivan

Post by Mercelle »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "His Fool" by Garry Sullivan.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

His Fool by Garry Sullivan is a work of fiction based on an autobiography. The author narrates the life of a young man who comes from a troubled family and provides insight into various events that shape his life.

Peter is an enthusiastic soon-to-be teenager coming into his own. The sight of flesh and blood leaves him frightened when he sees his older sister, Leanne, mutilating herself. Leanne runs away from home, and the aftermath is unfolding secrets which shatter the family, leading Peter on an unexpected journey of self-discovery. The author takes the reader through Peter's highs, his lows, his grave mistakes, and some of the life-threatening situations he finds himself in.

I like how artfully the author tackled the themes of self-harm, suicide, and drug abuse. He presented the victims as damaged individuals with empty souls. Although I pitied them, it raised the question of society's role in protecting the vulnerable without pushing them to the limit. The author takes the reader on a tour of psychiatric hospitals and vividly describes the patients' conditions. Mental health is a topic that's spoken of in hushed tones. The author iterates this by describing mental institutions as a part of society that people prefer to ignore. I, however, couldn't help but admire the dedication of the doctors and nurses who looked after the patients.

Through the characters' interactions, the author dissects underlying societal prejudices. In one instance, a teenage boy had sex with an older woman. Surprisingly, I wasn't as unsettled as I would've been if it was the other way round. He also highlighted the constant battle between good and evil and presented it as a continuous debate between guardian angels and evil spirits. When faced with a dilemma, the characters heard voices feeding them conflicting ideas. It was refreshing when someone made the right decision, and I was relieved when an individual escaped danger. The well-rounded characters aren't without flaws. That makes them relatable, but some are determined evildoers.

There's something for lovers of poetry because the author includes insightful poems that complement the work. He also uses inspirational Bible verses, which are meant to solidify the characters' faith in a higher power. He described one particular event from different people's perspectives. I found that insightful because it left me with a deeper understanding of the text.

In the description, the author warned that faint-hearted readers should stay away from the book. The gore is unsettling, and in some instances, I had to pause and take a deep breath. For this reason, I'll recommend the book to lovers of horror stories and mature readers who can stomach gory scenes. Since I spotted typos (mostly misspelled words) on almost every page, I'll recommend that the text undergoes a round of editing to eliminate them. The errors lower the rating to 3 out of 4 stars.

His Fool
View: on Bookshelves

Like Mercy Bolo's review? Post a comment saying so!
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It sounds like this has themes that need to be tackled more often in writing. It's interesting that poetry is included as well! All in all, other than the editing, it definitely is worth checking out! Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
SpencerVo
Favorite Book: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spencervo.html
Latest Review: Lola the Buhund and the Father of Discord by Elbot Carman

Post by SpencerVo »

I think this book will resonate with me a lot, as someone close to me is currently struggling with depression and my best friend used to mutilate herself and contemplate suicide. These issues are not often discussed in my community, and they are considered failures of characters rather than treatable psychological conditions. Thank you for this detailed review.
It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye.

Return to “NEW: Graphic Novels and Comic Books”