Official Review: Let The Chips Fall by Patricia McDonald

Use this sub-forum to discuss comic books and graphic novels.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
OloladeO
Currently Reading: The Michael Project
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ololadeo.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Official Review: Let The Chips Fall by Patricia McDonald

Post by OloladeO »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Let The Chips Fall" by Patricia McDonald.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Let The Chips Fall by Patricia McDonald is a story about Katherine Murphy. She was born in 1984 in Brooklyn, New York to Christian parents who migrated from Jamaica 13 years earlier. She was the third out of five children, three boys and two girls, but she knew she was different.

Unlike her sister, she didn't like girly things and preferred to hang out with her brothers. She later discovered she was attracted to her gender, but couldn't act on it because of her parents’ beliefs and her environment at large. Forced to follow life's structured path in order to please her parents, she went on dates with guys and eventually met Jahari. She wound up pregnant for him and accepted his marriage proposal just to make everyone happy.

Her political career unlike her personal life bloomed. She had a dream of becoming City Councilwoman and she surpassed it. Her diligent efforts paid off and she became the first African American woman to be Mayor of New York city at the age of 30.

Despite Jahari being a loving husband, she craved to be with a female and eventually started an affair with Shani who was a lesbian that helped her work on her campaign. Shani became jealous of Jahari and threatened to end their affair. Desperate to save her relationship, she told Jahari about her gender preferences and her affair with Shani. How will Jahari react? Will her family accept her for who she truly was? Will her constituents stand by her? Will her political career come to a halt?

Patricia McDonald has done well in this entertaining piece. I liked her writing style as it made the book easy to read. I was so immersed in the book that it took me two days to read it despite my tight schedule. When I wasn’t reading, my mind kept wandering back to the book anticipating what would happen next. She gave the characters flesh and made them relatable. The character I liked most was Jahari. Despite all that Katherine put him through, he loved her still. He believed in her and always had her best interest at heart. He was simply amazing. If we all had a Jahari in our life’s, the pressures of life would be a bit easier. I kept rooting for him till the end of the book.

What I liked most about the book was the writer’s ability to keep you hooked and guessing till the end. There was really nothing I didn’t like about the book except that I think the author should put in chapters as it will give the book more structure.

The book had several errors ranging from wrong spelling of names and words to lack of commas. With that in mind, I rate it a 3 out of 4 stars. Though I didn’t find the errors too distracting because of the author’s engaging writing style, I believe the book would benefit from a thorough round of editing.

I recommend this book for romance lovers. If you are not into detailed sexual scenes, this is not the book for you as it is filled with them. It is strictly for 18 and above.

Let The Chips Fall
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like christabel88's review? Post a comment saying so!
Bianka Walter
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

This is a great review, thanks! I'm curious to know, I see it is listed in the graphic novels and comics section, were there images in the book? I love that the story follows Jahari and her struggles of finding herself, and I hope the author will put the book through a thorough proofread before round two :)
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

I enjoyed your review. I was curious about the graphic novel genre, too. Thanks for the warning, as I am not a fan of detailed sexual content.
MsTri
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1033
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Post by MsTri »

I don't think I care for the plot, but I too am curious about the illustrations, or lack thereof.
booklysis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-booklysis.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is not what you think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by booklysis »

Your review is so nice and well written. But the book is not of my type.
Jennifer Fernandez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-fernandez.html
Latest Review: The Enemy In Me by Jacob Newell Campbell

Post by Jennifer Fernandez »

I'm really curious about the illustrations on this one.
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. - H.P. Lovecraft :techie-studyinggray:
OloladeO

Post by OloladeO »

Bianka Walter wrote: 10 Aug 2018, 13:19 This is a great review, thanks! I'm curious to know, I see it is listed in the graphic novels and comics section, were there images in the book? I love that the story follows Jahari and her struggles of finding herself, and I hope the author will put the book through a thorough proofread before round two :)
I have no idea why it is listed in the comic and graphic section as no images can be found in the book. Thanks for commenting.
OloladeO

Post by OloladeO »

Cecilia_L wrote: 10 Aug 2018, 15:18 I enjoyed your review. I was curious about the graphic novel genre, too. Thanks for the warning, as I am not a fan of detailed sexual content.
I didn't find any picture in the book. I don't know why it is listed as a graphic novel. Thanks for commenting.
OloladeO

Post by OloladeO »

MsTri wrote: 11 Aug 2018, 09:39 I don't think I care for the plot, but I too am curious about the illustrations, or lack thereof.
There was no illustration. Thanks for commenting.
OloladeO

Post by OloladeO »

booklysis wrote: 12 Aug 2018, 11:26 Your review is so nice and well written. But the book is not of my type.
I understand. Thanks for commenting.
OloladeO

Post by OloladeO »

Jennifer Fernandez wrote: 17 Aug 2018, 17:45 I'm really curious about the illustrations on this one.
Sorry to burst your bubble. There were no illustrations!
topdan30
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 125
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-topdan30.html
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud
2024 Reading Goal: 798
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by topdan30 »

Thanks for the review i sure enjoyed it. Its detailed. A writter that knows how to connect with readers alsways knows how to weave a lovely story.
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud

Return to “NEW: Graphic Novels and Comic Books”