Saga (Comic Book)

Use this sub-forum to discuss comic books and graphic novels.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Arrigo_Lupori
Favorite Author: Haruki Murakami
Currently Reading: A Short History of Nearly Everything
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arrigo-lupori.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 2566

Saga (Comic Book)

Post by Arrigo_Lupori »

I had to talk about this one since I haven't found any topic on it. Has anybody read Saga here in the forums?

This comic is absolutely a blast. The storyline is incredibly intricate and the characters are so well designed. They are true to their nature, they sense their surroundings in different ways, they act with specific racial traits.

For those of you that haven't seen it, Saga is a sci-fi comic centered on the story of two rebels and their little new born baby. They will have to travel from one galaxy to the other in order to save their asses and find peace in a universe where war is an ongoing threat.

To me personally, the dialogues are very well-structured and the imagery is beautiful.
It is an adult comic however, with plenty of alien sex scenes (they're weird, but never insulting).

What do you guys think about it? Have you read about it? If you did, do you enjoy it? :P
"The abstract sensation of living a lifestyle that hasn't been fully understood."
- The epitome of taste in living disgrace.
motivational_muss
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by motivational_muss »

I love comic books,but this one is amazing.There isn’t any science. Rather, the story just happens to be set in space with rockets, laser guns, and plenty of other imaginative bits and pieces including liar cats, ghost babysitters, and a rocket tree powered by magic.The plot seems, on the surface, to be very simple: there are two eternally warring species separated by a physiological difference. One species has horns, the other wings. Our heroes Marko (horns) and Alana (wings) have fallen in love, in defiance of the long-standing hatred between the two races. It’s Romeo and Juliet but with a twist that on the surface seems slight but sends what could be a predictable story careening off into uncharted territory. Those who haven't read it do so,you will love it :) :)
Arrigo_Lupori
Favorite Author: Haruki Murakami
Currently Reading: A Short History of Nearly Everything
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arrigo-lupori.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 2566

Post by Arrigo_Lupori »

motivational_muss wrote: 21 Feb 2018, 05:21 I love comic books,but this one is amazing.There isn’t any science. Rather, the story just happens to be set in space with rockets, laser guns, and plenty of other imaginative bits and pieces including liar cats, ghost babysitters, and a rocket tree powered by magic.The plot seems, on the surface, to be very simple: there are two eternally warring species separated by a physiological difference. One species has horns, the other wings. Our heroes Marko (horns) and Alana (wings) have fallen in love, in defiance of the long-standing hatred between the two races. It’s Romeo and Juliet but with a twist that on the surface seems slight but sends what could be a predictable story careening off into uncharted territory. Those who haven't read it do so,you will love it :) :)
Yup, no science facts, no complications. Just "human" (in this case alien) relationships and a ton of emotion, combined with beautiful imagery.
"The abstract sensation of living a lifestyle that hasn't been fully understood."
- The epitome of taste in living disgrace.
Cin8685
Currently Reading: The Address
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cin8685.html
Latest Review: "Yesterday" by Samyann

Post by Cin8685 »

I have never been much of a comic book/graphic novel reader, my husband on the other hand, they’re all he reads and told me I had to, I mean absolutely had to, read this series. I was pleasantly surprised. It started out a little ‘out there’ bit I was quickly hooked. I’ve read 1-4 I think now, but I loved Alana and her all around bad ass-ness. And as a newer mom, I totally loved how she had the baby on the boob on the cover. So amazing! But I agree with the previous posters where it does seems Romeo and juliet-ish, which I also love. For my first graphic novel experience I really enjoyed Saga!
Latest Review: "Yesterday" by Samyann
Mabel6
Currently Reading: Final Notice
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mabel6.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by Mabel6 »

I love this series, I have only read the first 4 volumes. Such a good series, it's a shame I noticed not many people in this forum seem to have read it. I just checked out volumes 5, 6, 7, and 8 on my Hoopla account and will be reading those for the next few weeks. I can't wait for the 9th volume and will have to discuss with you when I have finished reading!
starshipsaga
Currently Reading: WatchDogs Abnormal Beginnings
Bookshelf Size: 2024
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-starshipsaga.html
Latest Review: Secrets of the Dead by Murray Bailey

Post by starshipsaga »

This series is amazing! I've been following comics sporadically off and on over the years, but this is the one series I read religiously. I also follow everything Brian K. Vaughan does, he's one of my favorite comic book writers.
Dee71
Currently Reading: Lovecraft Country

Post by Dee71 »

I think this series is great! I've only read Volumes 1 and 2, so I want to avoid spoilers. But I definitely love this space opera styled series. Love the character designs and personalities, and the entire universe that Vaughn and Staples have created.
Zgr79
Currently Reading:

Post by Zgr79 »

Saga is the best comic book I’ve ever read. Brian K Vaughn is a brilliant writer. He draws you into the story with his storytelling and character development. Even during the more graphic parts he keeps you wanting to know what happens next. Truly a magical story and one I will keep in my collection forever.
Z0ya

Post by Z0ya »

This is my favorite series to read right now. I am all caught up and waiting for the next issue to come out. It seems to be taking forever! I NEED to see what happens next!
Petunia164

Post by Petunia164 »

I LOVE Saga. I would say that it makes a very good beginner's "comic" or graphic novel set. I don't have a lot of experience with graphic novels, other than the very popular Persepolis or Funhome. I was introduced to Saga by a librarian who knew what a newb I was. She picked a great series for me. I love the artwork, the storyline is intense and sucks you in. It can be tragic, uplifting, and reminiscent of anti-hate. The two parents of the series are so kickass, I could only hope to be them when I grow up...
M Zee
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-m-zee.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill

Post by M Zee »

I love this series. It's such a genre-bending comic that never fails to surprise me with where they take it. It's got fantasy, sci-fi, romance, action, war stories, and a lot of slice-of-life. It's so hard to describe sometimes that I can't always categorize it for new readers!

I always recommend it to friends, though!
I was born with a reading list I will never finish.
Jagiine
Currently Reading: Children of Virtue and Vengeance
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jagiine.html
Latest Review: A Collection of Poetry by Cheree Scott

Post by Jagiine »

Thanks for sharing! I have not read this series, but am looking for my next comic or graphic novel. I will have to check this out!
henry2017

Post by henry2017 »

i really luv the story line,its highly intresting
Nisha Ward
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

I love this series! From Marko and Alana's relationship to the Robot monarchy, everyone is so complex and wonderfully written. I especially love the conceit behind it and the framing of the entire thing as a retelling, even as events occur that the narrator couldn't have been there for. It's mind bending in a really good way.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
cdhundley
Currently Reading: The Book of Man
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cdhundley.html
Latest Review: Sundown by Carl H. Mitchell

Post by cdhundley »

I read several individual issues in comic stores a few years ago. Since I would do so sporadically, I could not follow the plot. But I definitely recognized the storytelling and art were of high quality and the TPBs are definitely on my reading list.
"Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one." Marcus Aurelius

Return to “NEW: Graphic Novels and Comic Books”