Official Review: Art of Peace by Collective Wisdom

Use this sub-forum to discuss comic books and graphic novels.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 684
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Official Review: Art of Peace by Collective Wisdom

Post by Manang Muyang »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Art of Peace by Collective Wisdom" by Davita.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

“Dude, racism is stupid. I am black, white, and Asian. But everyone still loves me.” – A panda bear, page 62 of Art of Peace

Art of Peace by Collective Wisdom is the result of a three-year effort by DAVita, a consulting organization that is committed to “World Peace In Green World.” DAVita espouses love as the answer to the world’s woes.

The book has an introductory first page entitled "Human Race: the most advanced species in the history of the World...Are we, really?" All ensuing 130 pages contain collages of inspiring quotations from different personalities throughout history. Many of the messages are accompanied by artworks that enliven the words. DAVita explains that the images were sourced from the internet and specifically credits Google and Facebook. The book’s purpose is to “inspire current and future generations to learn from the wisest and bravest souls that walked this earth.”

Featured personalities include the following: ancient philosophers Plato and Socrates; scientists Galileo, Albert Einstein, and Marie Curie; religious leaders like the Dalai Lama, Mother Teresa, and Lao Tzu; singers John Lennon and Bob Marley and actress Audrey Hepburn; revered American Presidents Lincoln, Jefferson, and Roosevelt; inspiring statesman Nelson Mandela and courageous Burmese political figure Aung San Suu Kyi; martial artist Bruce Lee and boxing icon Muhammad Ali; unforgettable film characters like Morpheus of The Matrix; and even the beloved Sesame Street character Cookie Monster. All share snippets of wisdom. There are also proverbs from different ancient tribes, clever cartoons, and an interesting list of famous failures which include Walt Disney and The Beatles. The messages revolve around various themes of love - love for God, love for life, love for the truth, love for Mother Earth, love for peace - and other lofty ideals like friendship, wisdom, and freedom.

The book ends with the popular declamation piece “Invictus” about a man who is “the captain of his soul” and a psychedelic artwork with a throbbing heart inscribed with the message: “Love is powerful.” These last two pages encapsulate DAVita’s vision: Love will lead humanity to victory!

Majority of the book is dedicated to irrefutable words of wisdom that few will disagree with. Pages 78 to 114 and 124, however, deal with more contentious contemporary issues. These run the gamut from the use of solar power for energy to the legalized cultivation of the Cannabis plant for its myriad uses, the practice of Reiki and alternative medicine, the push for a vegan diet, the banning of GMOs, and the uselessness of government.

No doubt the book does not lack for inspiration. The messages are potent; that is the reason they were chosen. But that alone does not make a great book. Readers can get the same inspiration by joining Pinterest. Those with a special liking for any personality can easily google that person’s quotes and merrily gorge themselves with inspiration.

I believe the book would be better-received if it offers more than just a compilation of inspiring messages. It could include a short bio of each personality quoted in an appendix. This would bolster the reputation of the personalities and make their messages stronger. An alphabetical index of topics and themes (hashtags, in modern-day parlance) would be another good addition. Both the appendix and index would enhance the book’s usefulness, likability, and longevity.

I also noticed some obstacles to a happy reading. Some images are too bright, thereby obscuring the text. (Pages 4, 23, 28, and 29 show a few examples.) The names of the quoted personalities are not always readable as some are in very small type. (See pages 11, 33, 73, and 120 for samples.) Several pieces do not have the proper citation, risking plagiarism charges. Pages 36, 116, and 127 show blurred images. There are at least ten quotations that are used twice or thrice (e.g., Aristotle’s statement on education on pages 71 and 76; Einstein’s piece on imagination on pages 68, 69, and 73; and Socrates’ opinion on change on pages 46 and 60). I do not know whether the repetition is intentional or a failure to edit. There is also a sprinkling of minor spelling and punctuation errors on the first page, the most significant being “vain” spelled as “vane.”

I also need to mention that the book obviously supports the growing of the hemp plant and the other varieties of the Cannabis (which is popularly known as marijuana) for their variety of uses, including the industrial, medicinal and recreational. There is also a slant towards the easing up of laws prohibiting the use of illegal drugs.

I am all for spreading love to one and all, and I believe that this compilation is a worthy project. But the “medium is the message,” and in this case, the message fails to get through clearly. I give the book 2 out of 4 stars. Adding biographical sketches of the featured personalities and the index of hashtags would add a star. Ensuring that all messages are clearly readable and accompanied by the proper citations will clinch another star, as well as avoid any plagiarism issues.

Young readers must be cautioned in reading this book owing to the obvious endorsement of the Cannabis plant, the implied assent to the use of illegal drugs, and the strong anti-government sentiments. As is, this book will be appreciated most by adult readers on a recollection or retreat, working people who want to unwind at the end of the day, and those who seek the “wisdom of the ages.”

One of the interesting quotes in the book is on page 60; it is from Abe Lincoln. "I destroy my enemies when I make them my friends." That, I believe, is a succinct summary of Art of Peace.

Art of Peace by Collective Wisdom
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Miriam Molina's review? Post a comment saying so!
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

I like the quote, very eye catching! And also you mentioned about the featured personalities sharing their wisdom, some clearly known for who they are, it's truly great!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:

Post by Manang Muyang »

Thanks, Sahani Nimandra for appreciating the work of DAVita. They, like all of us, want to make this world a better place.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It's too bad that the message gets "lost in translation" somewhere. I love the opening quote that you use, though. And this seems like a worthy project. I hope that the author can rework it some into something truly great. Thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:

Post by Manang Muyang »

Three years of effort has already gone to this project. What's a few more months to make it achieve its goal?

Thanks for liking the 🐼 message, Kandscreely, dudette!
kislany
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 527
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kislany.html
Latest Review: Golden Skies by Juan Zapata

Post by kislany »

I am not sure this book is for me, but I thoroughly enjoyed your review. I chuckled at the quotation you chose from the book, and I actually laughed out loud at your Pinterest comment. You do have a witty way with words, love it. Great review, as usual.
Mouricia Allen
Currently Reading: Covet (Fallen Angels Series #1)
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mouricia25.html
Latest Review: The Life Inside Maggie Pincus by David I. Billingham
Reading Device: B01N3UC27N

Post by Mouricia Allen »

Not sure this book is for me. But I love how detailed your review was.
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:

Post by Manang Muyang »

kislany wrote: 30 Jan 2018, 15:04 I am not sure this book is for me, but I thoroughly enjoyed your review. I chuckled at the quotation you chose from the book, and I actually laughed out loud at your Pinterest comment. You do have a witty way with words, love it. Great review, as usual.
Thanks for dropping by, Kislany, and giving a wonderful comment.
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:

Post by Manang Muyang »

Mouricia25 wrote: 30 Jan 2018, 15:37 Not sure this book is for me. But I love how detailed your review was.
Hello, Mouricia25! Welcome to OBC. Thanks for reading and commenting. Peace be with you!

I look forward to reading your work soon. See you in the forums.
Maggie G
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maggie-g.html
Latest Review: Andalusian in Jerusalem by Mois benarroch

Post by Maggie G »

Thank you for a thoughtful review. It sounds like your recommendation to include brief biographical sketches would go a long way to improving this book. Also, laughed out loud at your Pinterest comment.
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:

Post by Manang Muyang »

Maggie G wrote: 30 Jan 2018, 17:47 Thank you for a thoughtful review. It sounds like your recommendation to include brief biographical sketches would go a long way to improving this book. Also, laughed out loud at your Pinterest comment.
Thanks for the appreciation and the laughter, Maggie G!
Alice Heritage
Review Team Guidelines Team Leader
Favorite Author: Wilkie Collins
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces of Gothic Fiction
Bookshelf Size: 377
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-heritage.html
Latest Review: Entrepreneurship: 5 Best Practices for Stay-At-Home-Moms who want to start an Online Business by Patricia Jennings
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 1
fav_author_id: 1
Signature Addition: Mod

Post by Alice Heritage »

Thanks for your thorough and detailed review! I regularly receive emails and own calendars featuring beautiful photos and inspiring quotes - so you're right, a book has to provide some added value to be worth it. In that connection it's a shame about the repetition and readability issues. Hopefully a new version might find a way to include a more grounded focus.
This post was brought to you by the word "specifically".
Mod
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:

Post by Manang Muyang »

DAVita has a worthwhile, albeit formidable, goal: change the world! But as Mother Teresa said wisely, do it one person at a time.

It is curious that this book uses Invictus, the poem quoted by the recent BOTD on soulful leadership by Bhalla. Captains of our souls, we need to be!

I do hope that the book is improved to touch one person, then another, then another ...
AbbyGNelson
Currently Reading: Heir to the Empire
Bookshelf Size: 839
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abbygnelson.html
Latest Review: Asa's Gift by Isaac Green

Post by AbbyGNelson »

Well reviewed. I feel like this type of format would make it difficult to deliver a deep message, it seems more like an art piece.
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:

Post by Manang Muyang »

Thanks, AbbyGNelson, for leaping into this page and leaving a comment. The book has a worthwhile goal; I want DAVita to achieve it.

Return to “NEW: Graphic Novels and Comic Books”