Official Review: Child Marriage, Bride Price, and Materia...

Use this sub-forum to discuss comic books and graphic novels.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Arushi Singh
Currently Reading: Walking In Blind: A Collection of Poetry
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arushi-singh.html
Latest Review: "Drive East Until You Hit An Ocean" by J. Walter Swartz and Richard Waite

Official Review: Child Marriage, Bride Price, and Materia...

Post by Arushi Singh »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Child Marriage, Bride Price, and Materialism Destroy the Future of Millions of Children in the World" by Br. Paterne Muhaya Bengehya.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

“15 million girls marry before the age of 18 each year – the equivalent of one every 2 seconds. If we don’t act now, more than 140 million girls will become child brides by 2020.”

Bengehya, Paterne Muhaya. Child Marriage, Bride Price, and Materialism Destroy the Future of Millions of Children in the World: A Story of a Victim African Child Girl (Kindle Locations 31-32). UNKNOWN. Kindle Edition.

Child Marriage, Bride Price, and Materialism Destroy the Future of Millions of Children in the World by Br. Paterne Muhaya Bengehya is a direct and confrontational graphic work that deals with the issue of Child Marriage. While this book is set in Africa, it is very relevant to other parts of the world. In Asian countries, child marriage is still very much prevalent. Hence, the author effectively deals with very serious ideas in this book, while catering to a younger audience.

The simple fact that this book has dealt with the issue of child marriage made me gravitate towards it. I felt that this issue has been dealt with much candour in this book. It sends an important message to the reader about such social evils, and therein lies its beauty.

Another thing that is very commendable about this book is the way the narrative has been backed by facts. Everything that is stated in the book is extensively researched, and it is quite clear that the author has put in a lot of effort into really understanding the issue which is explored in the book. The author has provided the facts to the reader and empowered the reader to find their own voice.

The illustrations used in the book are beautiful. They seem like they have been made by a child and make the whole book seem more adorable.

However, there are many issues in this book. The most important issue is that it is quite clear that the book had not been well edited. It read like a rough draft of a manuscript. While the themes explored were brilliant, there was no fluidity in the book. A lot of different facts and statistics were put together in a clumsy manner, and this made the book seem a bit unpolished. There were a few errors in the book and this made the book a bit unappealing to me.

I would rate this book 2 out of 4 stars. I loved the themes, the message, and the illustrations, but there were far too many errors in the book.

Child Marriage, Bride Price, and Materialism Destroy the Future of Millions of Children in the World
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Arushi Singh's review? Post a comment saying so!
Latest Review: "Drive East Until You Hit An Ocean" by J. Walter Swartz and Richard Waite
juliusotinyo
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliusotinyo.html
Latest Review: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire by H M Irwing

Post by juliusotinyo »

Great review, despite the errors in it the book's topic is quite interesting.
Arushi Singh

Post by Arushi Singh »

Yes! I absolutely agree. :D
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

This was a story worth writing about and great review of the book.
KlareAllison
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 238
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-klareallison.html
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E. Tavel

Post by KlareAllison »

The theme of child marriage in Br. Paterne Muhaya Bengehya's Child Marriage, Bride Price, and Materialism Destroy the Future of Millions of Children in the World, is very topical. In the northern area of my country, sadly, his still continues.

I think this review reads well! Thanks, Arushi Singh, for reading my review.
"Sometimes I find myself sitting in one spot for hours, staring at nothing, feeling nothing, and most disturbingly, caring about nothing".

- Mahbod Seraji, Rooftops of Tehran
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E. Tavel
Arushi Singh

Post by Arushi Singh »

Thank you so much!
Izesicle
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 140
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-izesicle.html
Latest Review: With Malice Aforethought by Thonie Hevron
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Izesicle »

Too bad it wasn't well edited. The call to action would have been more powerful otherwise.

Thanks for stopping by my review.
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

This book tackles such a pressing issue. Too bad it's not well edited.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This sounds like a subject that definitely needs to be dealt with. It's too bad that there were so many errors, though. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Kat Berg
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading: James Baldwin
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat-berg.html
Latest Review: Why Am I Here by Melvin Bell
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kat Berg »

I hope they take the time to do a more thorough edit. It is, as others have said, an important topic and having good books written on it would be useful. Thanks for the review.
Michael Davids daudi
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Michael Davids daudi »

Nice work good writing
inaramid
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Siege and Storm
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inaramid.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Post by inaramid »

The book cover alone looks so unprofessional. I wouldn't have guessed that it contained something of substance if I hadn't read your review. I'm shocked at the themes the book attempted to explore, but the poor editing makes it lose some of its credibility, right? That's really too bad.
ziauljc

Post by ziauljc »

It shows us the real situation of the soceity.Great writing.Loved it.
maxidonx3

Post by maxidonx3 »

Now about this piece of work, there are many references. This alone might just take you off the line while trying to pronounce those big names.
I think this piece if work/writing should have a caption say "girl child education". By the way well done, nice nice work.

Return to “NEW: Graphic Novels and Comic Books”