What comic, graphic novel, or manga have you read recently?

Use this sub-forum to discuss comic books and graphic novels.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
courtneymcreative
Favorite Author: Tamora Pierce
Currently Reading: Swan Song
Bookshelf Size: 72
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-courtneymcreative.html
Latest Review: Guardian of Deceit by William H. Coles
fav_author_id: 3492

Re: What comic, graphic novel, or manga have you read recently?

Post by courtneymcreative »

Russell Burke wrote: 27 Mar 2018, 11:27 I don't often read manga because once you get sucked into a story, then you have to keep buying successive volumes until the series is finally finished (assuming you're not willing to pirate it).
I agree! I don't mind having a series to read but manga always seems like 1) such a hefty time commitment and 2) quite a lot of money. How do people afford to keep up with manga series that have 100+ volumes?? How do you have time?!?

I'm seriously asking. If anyone has any tips for getting discounted manga, I want to know!
courtneymcreative

Russell Burke wrote: 27 Mar 2018, 11:27 I don't often read manga because once you get sucked into a story, then you have to keep buying successive volumes until the series is finally finished (assuming you're not willing to pirate it).
I agree! I don't mind having a series to read but manga always seems like 1) such a hefty time commitment and 2) quite a lot of money. How do people afford to keep up with manga series that have 100+ volumes?? How do you have time?!?

I'm seriously asking. If anyone has any tips for getting discounted manga, I want to know!
courtneymcreative

Anais travis wrote: 31 Mar 2018, 14:29 I just started reading the blue exorcist, I must say, I absolutely love it so far and I'm only on the first book, I feel anyone who enjoys humor and action with a bit of drama
Have you watched the anime? I have (but haven't read the manga yet) and ended up reading a lot about how it lines up/doesn't line up. Curious to know how you would feel about it.
courtneymcreative

The last graphic novel I read was "Habibi" by Craig Thompson. I don't hear a ton of people talk about it, actually. Usually if they talk about Thompson it's to talk about "Blankets." Both are good, but "Habibi" has more going on. Out of the two I might even say "Habibi" is my favorite. Has anyone else read Thompson?

I also recently read "The Sandman" by Neil Gaiman. I really liked the first volumes but as I read on I wasn't as excited by it. But I know tons of people loved it. Anyone else feel that way?
stoppoppingtheP
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Adriana Trigiani
Favorite Book: The Hand of Fatima
Currently Reading: High Low In-Between
Bookshelf Size: 162
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stoppoppingthep.html
Latest Review: If I Only Knew by Kim Simmons
fav_author_id: 8071

Post by stoppoppingtheP »

I read mainly on webtoons. I'm busy reading Lookism, Windbreaker and I love Yoo.

“there have been so many times
i have seen a man wanting to weep
but
instead
beat his heart until it was unconscious.

-masculine”

― Nayyirah Waheed
Tamorie Hargro
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Billy Summers
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tamorie-hargro.html
Latest Review: Teardrops by Helen Burger
Reading Device: B083JVJQH4

Post by Tamorie Hargro »

I last left off on Vol. 36 of One Piece. It'll take me a lifetime to catch up! :lol2:

And I'm currently reading Beck by Harold Sakuishi. It's a rock music manga. I've just finished volume one, it was pretty decent, but I'm not sure what to think of it yet.
J.K. Rowling - Albus Dumbledore, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban wrote:Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light. 🔥
arinjerry
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by arinjerry »

Fantasy Sports are super fun
graphic novels. Also, I love The
Giant Beard That Was Evil. It's my
favorite.
xBibliobibulix
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1638
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-xbibliobibulix.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by xBibliobibulix »

I just read The Sex Criminals, written by Matt Fraction and illustrated by Chip Zdarsky, for the second time. The ongoing series features people who stop time when they orgasm and other people who have other sex-related powers. The series is fun and a bit raunchy but in a good way.
"There are people who read too much: bibliobibuli. . .They wander through this most diverting and stimulating of worlds in a haze, seeing nothing and hearing nothing." -H. L. Mencken
TaaraLynn
Currently Reading: To Selena, With Love
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taaralynn.html
Latest Review: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016 by William H. Coles

Post by TaaraLynn »

Russell Burke wrote: 27 Mar 2018, 11:27 I don't often read manga because once you get sucked into a story, then you have to keep buying successive volumes until the series is finally finished (assuming you're not willing to pirate it). However, I made an exception for Naoki Urasawa's Monster, which is a great mystery/thriller series about a surgeon who is trying to track down a former patient turned serial killer.
Back in high school, I believe it was Fruits Basket, I can't remember. I had no idea how many were in the series, but I felt like I was always going to the book store for the next one. I finally finished, and I promised myself I would never read another again, no matter how badly I wanted to read another.

I finished, sold the series, and haven't read another since. It was tempting, but I've held out.
"Maybe the two different worlds we lived in weren't so different. We saw the same sunset." - Ponyboy Curtis, The Outsiders
scratchcat318
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scratchcat318.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by scratchcat318 »

I'm following a whole ton of webtoons at the moment. Current favorites are unOrdinary, Siren's Lament, and Lumine.
In terms of physical comics, I recently finished up Snotgirl volume 2 after a friend of mine recommended the series to me. I am very on the fence about whether I fully like it or not, but so far it seems very interesting. The art style and the main character are both great, if nothing else. :D
Jillpillbooknerd
Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 1908
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jillpillbooknerd.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Jillpillbooknerd »

I've been reading the Fruits Basket series and loving it so far. I'm on volume 5 right now. I've also been reading Crimson Hero which is about a girl's volleyball team. Now normally I don't go for sports mangas at all but my librarian suggested that I try this one out and I'm loving it so far. I've read through volume 8 and the library doesn't have any more of it so I'm going to have to try and find it online now. I just finished the whole series for QQ Sweeper which was fantastic. There are only three volumes so you can speed through it pretty quickly.
Zimall
Favorite Author: Atilla K. Zengin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zimall.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis
fav_author_id: 156933

Post by Zimall »

I have just finished reading The Wall..wasn't really good n wasn't thorougly bad something in between
Jsovermyer
Favorite Book: Appaloosa Sky
Currently Reading: The Pocket Guide to Minimalism
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jsovermyer.html
Latest Review: Solomon’s Porch by Janet Morris Grimes

Post by Jsovermyer »

Dresden Files by Jim Butcher. Dresden, the modern wizard, is a great character. The novels are also good.
rubinelli
Currently Reading: Fangirl
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rubinelli.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by rubinelli »

I've been re-reading Yotsuba&! It's a slice of life manga about a little girl named Yotsuba and her adventures with her adoptive father, her father's coworkers, and her neighbors. The stories are really short and cute. I can't get enough of it!
PegR
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18

Post by PegR »

Since the trailer for the Chilling Adventures of Sabriana were posted. I went straight to the comic... Imagen my surprise! It is 50 time more spooky and bloody then the TV show. I vinged read the comic and watch the netflix show. I'd say they both have their charm, but I'll keep with the classic Sabrina the teenage witch origial comics.

Return to “NEW: Graphic Novels and Comic Books”