Suicide Squad: The Black Vault Part 1

Use this sub-forum to discuss comic books and graphic novels.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
BookTraveller
Currently Reading: Pawn of Prophecy
Bookshelf Size: 281
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-booktraveller.html
Reading Device: B00BWYQ9YE

Suicide Squad: The Black Vault Part 1

Post by BookTraveller »

My Rating: 3 Stars

I got mixed feelings about this comic. Don’t get me wrong, I love DC comics, their characters and specially their villains, that’s what makes it a bit difficult to write trying not to compare the comic to the recent movie of Suicide Squad.

The comic tells the story of a dysfunctional group of mischief villains that comes together for a deadly mission that goes wrong even before it begins. When they are called in to steal something called The Black Vault, they are faced with a super-villain that will take something that has been lacking: teamwork. How to put it off?

First things first, the artwork is great; I think it matched the story line just fine. Then we have the story line in itself. I must say I was a bit disappointed, I felt like there was a lack of balance between scenes. Sometimes it felt like everything was happening at the same time, others that there was no action at all. I really enjoyed the backstory of the characters; it’s always nice to know more about the anti-heroes, but then there are characters that I just couldn’t figure out their objective or mission. It wasn’t completely clear for me how they got together.

The villains of this comic took me by surprise, I was expecting someone a little more human to balance things a bit. Instead I found a super villain from another planet with a very bad temper and a group of mischiefs that are supposed to mirror the Task Force X. For me, it went a bit overboard. I think the point was to bring something new to the table, something unexpected, but I didn’t see it that way. Even so, the stories got me engaged enough and I couldn't stop reading it.

I hope to see something different in the next volume and a better balance and connection between the events in the story and the characters.

Overall, a nice read.

This review was originally published on NetGalley.
Vscholz
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
Bookshelf Size: 816
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vscholz.html
Latest Review: Primrose’s Curse by Kiara Shankar, Vinay Shankar
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Vscholz »

I had some issues with several story arcs at the beginning of Rebirth. I enjoyed The New 52 iteration a bit more, although the storyline has gotten better across the board. Some parts get really dark and characters lose identifiable parts of themselves (slight spoiler), but I'm a bit far behind on reading so I don't know if they get themselves back.

You'll get to read more about Amanda Waller in later volumes. She is a fascinating character and it would be interesting to see a company cross-over with Marvel where she meets with Nick Fury. And if Viola Davis and Samuel L. Jackson would act it out? That would just be delightful!
As for you & your heart & the things you said & didn't say, she will remember them all when men are fairy tales in books written by rabbits. (Schmendrick the Magician)
Kevinfilo123
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Kevinfilo123 »

Story line too complicated it is a nice writing but not too easy to understand
HailKingEbi
Currently Reading: The Notebook
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hailkingebi.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is not what you think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by HailKingEbi »

suicide squad is one of the most unique teams in Dc. they're dysfunctional but effective.
We're all puppets, Laurie. I'm just a puppet who can see the strings - Doctor Manhattan.

Return to “NEW: Graphic Novels and Comic Books”