- Posts: 21
- Joined: 24 Jan 2017, 09:37
- 2017 Reading Goal: 150
- Currently Reading: Pawn of Prophecy
- Bookshelf Size: 289
- Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-booktraveller.html
- Reading Device: B00BWYQ9YE
I got mixed feelings about this comic. Don’t get me wrong, I love DC comics, their characters and specially their villains, that’s what makes it a bit difficult to write trying not to compare the comic to the recent movie of Suicide Squad.
The comic tells the story of a dysfunctional group of mischief villains that comes together for a deadly mission that goes wrong even before it begins. When they are called in to steal something called The Black Vault, they are faced with a super-villain that will take something that has been lacking: teamwork. How to put it off?
First things first, the artwork is great; I think it matched the story line just fine. Then we have the story line in itself. I must say I was a bit disappointed, I felt like there was a lack of balance between scenes. Sometimes it felt like everything was happening at the same time, others that there was no action at all. I really enjoyed the backstory of the characters; it’s always nice to know more about the anti-heroes, but then there are characters that I just couldn’t figure out their objective or mission. It wasn’t completely clear for me how they got together.
The villains of this comic took me by surprise, I was expecting someone a little more human to balance things a bit. Instead I found a super villain from another planet with a very bad temper and a group of mischiefs that are supposed to mirror the Task Force X. For me, it went a bit overboard. I think the point was to bring something new to the table, something unexpected, but I didn’t see it that way. Even so, the stories got me engaged enough and I couldn't stop reading it.
I hope to see something different in the next volume and a better balance and connection between the events in the story and the characters.
Overall, a nice read.
This review was originally published on NetGalley.
- Posts: 228
- Joined: 09 Jul 2018, 00:59
- 2018 Reading Goal: 65
- 2018 Reading Goal Completion: 46
- Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
- Bookshelf Size: 799
- Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vscholz.html
- Latest Review: Murdered by James Schannep
- Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
You'll get to read more about Amanda Waller in later volumes. She is a fascinating character and it would be interesting to see a company cross-over with Marvel where she meets with Nick Fury. And if Viola Davis and Samuel L. Jackson would act it out? That would just be delightful!
- Posts: 190
- Joined: 19 Jun 2018, 13:55
- Currently Reading: The Notebook
- Bookshelf Size: 13
- Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hailkingebi.html
- Latest Review: Pastoring is not what you think by Elijah Oladimeji