One Piece (Manga)

Use this sub-forum to discuss comic books and graphic novels.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Czarmaine AM
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-czarmaine-am.html
Latest Review: "Border Post 99" by Kedar Patankar

One Piece (Manga)

Post by Czarmaine AM »

This manga is about the story of a 17-year-old boy named Luffy who aspires to be the Pirate King. He is not your typical pirate who ransacks village and bully people for fun. He's out in the sea in pure wonder and thirst for adventures. In the search for the ultimate treasure called the "One Piece", he braved the sea and experienced a lot of crazy adventures together with his crew mates that turned friends, he met along the way.

I recently watched 15 years worth of episode of this Anime. I always thought that this is just an overrated one but to my surprise, it is actually really good. The characters are all lovable, the plot twists are exciting and there are some episodes I really found myself literally laughing out loud! There is a colored version of this manga you might wanna check! It is very similar to the drawings in the anime version.

Any One Piece Fans Here?? :D 8)
"Though my soul may set in darkness, it will rise in perfect light;
I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night."
(The Old Astronomer to His Pupil by Sarah Williams)
Storygamer88
Currently Reading: The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time
Bookshelf Size: 365
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-storygamer88.html
Latest Review: "A Town Called Gonefor" by Wesley Cris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Storygamer88 »

Big One Piece fan since childhood and reread and re watched a few times too, skipping some fillers. It's not perfect, but it's still very good and enjoyable on many fronts, and it's got a lot of clever foreshadowing and unique arcs.
Hi all. I like board games, card games, video games, books (especially children's books and mysteries), stories, cartoons, anime, manga, light novels, animation, and other light-hearted, fun things. Feel free to message if you want to chat!
Czarmaine AM

Post by Czarmaine AM »

Storygamer88 wrote:Big One Piece fan since childhood and reread and re watched a few times too, skipping some fillers. It's not perfect, but it's still very good and enjoyable on many fronts, and it's got a lot of clever foreshadowing and unique arcs.
I also skipped some filler episodes! What is your favorite story arc? Mine is the one in Dress Rosa! Loved how Luffy's crew grew overtime!
Storygamer88

Post by Storygamer88 »

Interesting. I dislike Dressrosa because it felt dragged out. My fave was Water 7 because it was the most the crew felt broken apart (Usopp leaving and Robin missing), and I felt the threat of CP9 was more exciting than Enel and probably at least as good as Crocodile at that point.

Second to that, I liked Impel Down. Such a unique spin on prisons and teaming up with old enemies.
Hi all. I like board games, card games, video games, books (especially children's books and mysteries), stories, cartoons, anime, manga, light novels, animation, and other light-hearted, fun things. Feel free to message if you want to chat!
Czarmaine AM

Post by Czarmaine AM »

Storygamer88 wrote:Interesting. I dislike Dressrosa because it felt dragged out. My fave was Water 7 because it was the most the crew felt broken apart (Usopp leaving and Robin missing), and I felt the threat of CP9 was more exciting than Enel and probably at least as good as Crocodile at that point.

Second to that, I liked Impel Down. Such a unique spin on prisons and teaming up with old enemies.
I have to agree with you, dressrosa is dragging. Some scenes were made too long, fight scenes were kind of repetitive and there were a lot of characters introduced. However, I really enjoyed the part where Luffy joined the fight in Coliseum and fought as Lucy. Also, the whole idea of dressrosa is appealing to me. A city where toys live with human. (well anyway, I shouldn't have been so shocked, they have mermans and people living in sky island too. Haha :lol: ) Moreover, I liked Law and Corazon's story here.

I also enjoyed the arcs you've mentioned. Impel down was exciting up to the Marineford Arc (which is my second favorite). This war was nothing like the usual one piece episode. I cried when Ace died. I didn't expect that they would actually kill him.
Storygamer88

Post by Storygamer88 »

Agreed. The first major death in OP I believe, and it really was quite a climactic battle up to Ace's tragic demise.

I can see what you mean about the parts you liked in Dressrosa. I guess I do appreciate some aspects, but do wish it were done better. I hope there's another tournament esque arc in the future, and Zoro/Sanji participate instead of just Lucy/Luffy. I also kinda would've liked to see Luffy fight in the finale just to see how it'd turn out.
Czarmaine AM

Post by Czarmaine AM »

That's interesting. Would love to see Sanji and Zoro fighting in the Coliseum too!

Anyway, I hope the ongoing arc wouldn't be too dragging as this. I don't know if it's just me but I think the drawings in recent anime episodes aren't as good as before. Nonetheless, would still watch and support OP until they reach the last island <3
Storygamer88

Post by Storygamer88 »

Ditto about not wanting it dragged out, but I think its getting pretty exciting.

I hope One Piece gets a DBZ Kai esque redo of the anime with filler removed one day. Would love to watch it in HD with filler removed and higher quality animation :)
Sin24
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sin24.html
Latest Review: "Marrying a Playboy Billionaire" by H M Irwing

Post by Sin24 »

Czarmaine AM wrote:That's interesting. Would love to see Sanji and Zoro fighting in the Coliseum too!

Anyway, I hope the ongoing arc wouldn't be too dragging as this. I don't know if it's just me but I think the drawings in recent anime episodes aren't as good as before. Nonetheless, would still watch and support OP until they reach the last island <3
I think one piece is an amazing, however, the recent illustrations or quite sloppy. The character whose development I am really looking forward to is that of Zoro ( the unofficial vice captains of the straw hats), I think Luffy treats him a bit differently ( have a bit more respect for him) than any one else
Latest Review: "Marrying a Playboy Billionaire" by H M Irwing
Czarmaine AM

Post by Czarmaine AM »

Storygamer88 wrote:Ditto about not wanting it dragged out, but I think its getting pretty exciting.

I hope One Piece gets a DBZ Kai esque redo of the anime with filler removed one day. Would love to watch it in HD with filler removed and higher quality animation :)
Whoa! That would really be exciting!

-- 07 Aug 2017, 01:08 --
Sin24 wrote:
Czarmaine AM wrote:That's interesting. Would love to see Sanji and Zoro fighting in the Coliseum too!

I think one piece is an amazing, however, the recent illustrations or quite sloppy. The character whose development I am really looking forward to is that of Zoro ( the unofficial vice captains of the straw hats), I think Luffy treats him a bit differently ( have a bit more respect for him) than any one else
I also think the same way. I thought that I was the only who noticed. The illustrations are indeed better in the past installments.

Haha! Yes. Zoro has always been the serious type. I think his story was given more attention in the early seasons.
Kalin Adi
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kalin-adi.html
Latest Review: French for Girls by JP Wright

Post by Kalin Adi »

I love One Piece. I've been reading the manga and watching the anime for years. Actually, when I didn't find a job three years ago, I started watching the anime from the beginning for the third time. I had a blast! The second time I started watching the anime again was when I got married and I introduced it to my husband. Needless to say, he's a fan too. We watch the new episodes together. Hehehe.
Czarmaine AM

Post by Czarmaine AM »

Kalin Adi wrote:I love One Piece. I've been reading the manga and watching the anime for years. Actually, when I didn't find a job three years ago, I started watching the anime from the beginning for the third time. I had a blast! The second time I started watching the anime again was when I got married and I introduced it to my husband. Needless to say, he's a fan too. We watch the new episodes together. Hehehe.
Aaww that's too sweet, Kalin Adi! I would want to watch one piece with the love of my life too! Who is your favorite character??
Kalin Adi
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kalin-adi.html
Latest Review: French for Girls by JP Wright

Post by Kalin Adi »

Yes, my husband and I have fun when we sit together and watch One Piece. My favorite character? Hmmm I have some faves. For example: I would love to have Sanji as my friend, so I wouldn't have to be worried about cooking! Hehehe I also like Zoro a lot because he´s really so smart but quiet. I love him since the time he absorbed Luffy´s pain. OMG! I still cry when I remember that episode. It was so touching. He's very loyal.
Czarmaine AM

Post by Czarmaine AM »

I feel you! I want to transform into an anime character and enter one piece just to taste sanji's cooking! Hahaha :D

Yes. Zoro's indeed a great character. I couldn't imagine the show without him.
Carol Cisne
Currently Reading: Natsume's Book of Friends, Vol. 12
Bookshelf Size: 1072
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carol-cisne.html
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Carol Cisne »

I'm a fan! One Piece is one of my long time favorite manga/anime series. It so crazy it's been 20 years! I go through periods where I let the chapters/episodes accumulate just so I can binge. It's been so hard, I want to watch the Whole Cake Island Arc but my husband hasn't caught up yet. So here I am (im)patiently waiting.
Czarmaine AM wrote: I always thought that this is just an overrated one but to my surprise, it is actually really good.
I've had friends say the same thing. My husband thought so too. I must have recommended it to him over a dozen times over the years until he finally caved. Now it's his fav, go figure.
Czarmaine AM wrote: The characters are all lovable, the plot twists are exciting and there are some episodes I really found myself literally laughing out loud!
They are! I love them all and root for their progress through the years. When I re-watch from the beginning it seems like so long ago, they have come so far. I also like trying to find out where Oda found inspiration in some of them! Some are easy, like I see Terminator references with Franky and Jimi Hendrix with Brook. And how some places are a mishmash of multiple cultures, like Dressrosa seemed like a mix of Spain and Rome. Water 7 reminded me of Venice with their canals.
Czarmaine AM wrote:I cried when Ace died. I didn't expect that they would actually kill him.
I know?! I couldn't believe it and I was so heartbroken for Luffy. How was he going to go on?!
Storygamer88 wrote:I hope One Piece gets a DBZ Kai esque redo of the anime with filler removed one day. Would love to watch it in HD with filler removed and higher quality animation
I hope so too, when I re-watch it from the beginning I'm always shocked by how different it is! I forget that the anime started before widescreen TV were popular :shock:
When there is a better quality release, I am going save up and buy the box set. It's one of those series that you want to keep and share.
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon

Return to “NEW: Graphic Novels and Comic Books”