Official Review: Heavy Sketches Among Worldly Distractions

Use this sub-forum to discuss comic books and graphic novels.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Official Review: Heavy Sketches Among Worldly Distractions

Post by Amagine »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Heavy Sketches Among Worldly Distractions" by Red Rohl.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

At first glance, Heavy Sketches Among Worldly Distractions may seem like another illustrated book without any purposeful content. A reader may assume that the book is filled with nothing but pages of different and random illustrations that have no real significance. They would the judge a book by its cover. It is only when they open the book that they would be pleasantly surprised. Red Rohl’s Heavy Sketches Among Worldly Distractions is more than just a book of the author’s sketches. It is a book that educates, entertains and encourages its readers.

Heavy Sketches Among Worldly Distractions was created from old sketches that the author found in the attic of his childhood home. After compiling all the sketches together, adding some writing and filler doodles, he had a finished product. In the book, Rohl talks about various topics such as, pirates, his take on zombies, Spanish class back in high school and his nemesis, Rick Springfield. The book also includes illustrations of Vikings, octopuses, mutant vegetables and much more. Along with those illustrations, the author provides educational content about them. Readers will enjoy learning about how octopuses can grow their arms back and that most Vikings only lived into their 40s.

The aspect that I enjoyed the most about the book was the author’s tone of voice. There was a humorous tone as he wrote about things that happened when he was younger. He also drew illustrations to complement each story and piece of writing. The illustrations and the writing were both well done and I found myself entertained by them both. Some readers may complain how the book jumps from one topic to another without spending much time on any particular one. I didn’t have a problem with that at all as I assumed that the book’s target audience was middle graders and young adults. The format and pace of the book fits a younger audience well.

As mentioned earlier, this is a book that educates, entertains and encourages its readers. The author provides many facts and content on various topics such as, vegetables, Greek mythology and many others. The author entertains readers with his stories and eye-catching illustrations. The author also tries to encourage readers with the book as well. In the book, he gave valuable advice to anyone interested in writing or sketching. He even explains his own process of creating something in hopes that it can benefit a reader. I truly believe that this is an inspirational book as well.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. I didn’t find any errors with this book at all. I enjoyed reading it and I instantly became a fan of the author’s work. This book educated me and taught me things I never knew before. It also entertained me and inspired to try my hand at sketching. I would recommend this book, not just to older children and teens, but to anyone who wants a book that will fascinate and stimulate their minds and interests. This is a book that I encourage many to add to their bookshelves.

Heavy Sketches Among Worldly Distractions
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Amagine's review? Post a comment saying so!
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Wow! This definitely seems like something a little different from the norm. I don't know that I would usually go for a book like this, but I might have to check it out. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Amagine

Post by Amagine »

Thank you for reading! :D
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

MarisaRose
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by MarisaRose »

This is definitely a unique type of work. I do think it feels a little scatter brained and lacking in focus for my tastes though. Interesting review :)
Amagine

Post by Amagine »

The author mentioned how he was a child who had a hard time focusing on one thing for too long. I think the book was intended for readers who can't stay focused. I wonder what that says about me since I loved it :text-lol:

Thanks for reading! :D

Spirit Wandering
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... bastian</a>
Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spirit-wandering.html
Latest Review: JOURNEY - Becoming the Dream Walker by T.N. Bui

Post by Spirit Wandering »

Illustrations are usually added to a book to support the written words. Here, the writing seems to support the illustrations. A unique twist. Thanks for the review.
Interested in books that help one's spirit move beyond the ordinary.
love2
Currently Reading: Farmer Beau's Farm
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by love2 »

Looks this book is interested to read can't to read it. Especially helping a person in the spiritual matter.
Amagine

Post by Amagine »

Spirit Wandering wrote:Illustrations are usually added to a book to support the written words. Here, the writing seems to support the illustrations. A unique twist. Thanks for the review.
It definitely is an interesting twist!

-- 30 May 2017, 23:57 --
love2 wrote:Looks this book is interested to read can't to read it. Especially helping a person in the spiritual matter.

Sophy Chunge
Currently Reading: The Touch
Bookshelf Size: 484
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-centfie.html
Latest Review: Three loves and other stories by Lata Gullapalli

Post by Sophy Chunge »

An awesome review. I agree, that cover is quite another thing! If the book encourages and entertains as you have said, then it must be worth 4 stars.
Amagine

Post by Amagine »

centfie wrote:An awesome review. I agree, that cover is quite another thing! If the book encourages and entertains as you have said, then it must be worth 4 stars.
It is! I enjoyed it.

Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Post by Jaime Lync »

This book sounds great. The title is appealing, the concept is interesting and the humor in the tone is my cup of tea. Great review.
Amagine

Post by Amagine »

Jaime Lync wrote:This book sounds great. The title is appealing, the concept is interesting and the humor in the tone is my cup of tea. Great review.

Victor kimani
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Victor kimani »

Humour is one indication of an interesting book. I like that the book is educative since I also learn something new from the review. four stars for the book

-- 17 Jun 2017, 02:06 --

Humour is one indication of an interesting book. I like that the book is educative since I also learn something new from the review. four stars for the book
Amagine

Post by Amagine »

Yes, it was interesting and educational!

Thanks for reading! ?

Rosemary Okoko
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-okoko.html
Latest Review: The Sins of a Master Race by Matthew Tysz

Post by Rosemary Okoko »

Nice review. Good to be inspired. Will read it.

Return to “NEW: Graphic Novels and Comic Books”