Official Review: Majesties of Canaan by Chayil Champion

Use this sub-forum to discuss comic books and graphic novels.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
LivreAmour217
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Official Review: Majesties of Canaan by Chayil Champion

Post by LivreAmour217 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Majesties of Canaan" by Chayil Champion.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In the not-so-distant future (the year 2035, to be exact), a cunning Syrian politician--Tanwar Terah--will implement drastic political and economic changes at a global level. While some leaders embrace Terah's New World Order, others question his motives. In the Middle East, Terah forms a union of other nations against Israel, one of his chief dissenters. Known as the Caste Republic, this alliance plans to make an example of Israel for the rest of the world. As they plot a large-scale attack upon the Jewish state, the Israeli government implements elite military teams to locate Terah and put a stop to his plans.

Peter Carmoni, a Jewish-Italian soldier, leads one of these units. When their latest mission goes awry, Carmoni and his team find themselves hiding within an underground cave. While attempting to find a way out of the subterranean tunnels, they discover a mysterious substance that grants each of them with a unique superhuman characteristic. Along with their newfound talents, the team's mission takes on a new dimension when they learn that Terah wields far greater power than anyone can imagine. With time running out, the team must make their way back to Jerusalem before Terah can unleash his forces upon Israel.

Majesties of Canaan is the second book in author Chayil Champion's Dark Spores series. This series is geared toward young adult readers, and can best be described as a superhero story with a Judeo-Christian twist. The book opens with an introduction that provides the reader with a detailed backstory of Tanwar Terah and the global political landscape in the year 2035. As someone who has not read the first book in the series, I was grateful for this explanation, as it set the stage perfectly for the actual story.

This book is not long (only 165 pages), and the plot moves at a breakneck pace. There is an enormous amount of action, and the writing is descriptive enough to get an idea of what the characters and settings look like. At times I did feel like the plot was moving too quickly, or that some scenes could have had more detail, but the story was engaging enough to hold my attention from beginning to end.

There were some typographical errors within the book, but they were not too much of a distraction and could be easily fixed. But my biggest complaint has nothing to do with the writing, and everything to do with the cover. This book epitomizes the saying that you should never judge a book by its cover! I strongly suggest that the author find new cover art, as the current illustration is lacking and doesn't tell a prospective reader anything about the story.

But overall, I believe that Majesties of Canaan is a unique superhero story, and I give it 3 out of 4 stars for its originality. This book would be best suited to younger readers who enjoy fast-paced stories with plenty of action.

Majesties of Canaan
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like LivreAmour217's review? Post a comment saying so!
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
Shreyoshi Sen
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shreyoshi-sen.html
Latest Review: "Lived One Life To Save One Life" by Yong Ho Nam

Post by Shreyoshi Sen »

Excellent review. Terah's character seems extremely shrewd and cunning. The plot is very interesting. I would love to read this book.
Latest Review: "Lived One Life To Save One Life" by Yong Ho Nam
LivreAmour217
Currently Reading:

Post by LivreAmour217 »

Shreyoshi Sen wrote:Excellent review. Terah's character seems extremely shrewd and cunning. The plot is very interesting. I would love to read this book.
Thank you! It is a very original superhero story!
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
bibliognost
Currently Reading: The Thinker's Way
Bookshelf Size: 135
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by bibliognost »

As a big fan of YA (I think the genre is in its Golden Era right now) I was happy to find your review. Young Adult books often deal with complex issues, so I was not thrown by your description of the book as "Superhero with a Judeo-Christian twist." Thank you for sharing your review. I'll be adding Majesties on Canaan to my growing list of "Want to Read" YA books. :D
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I also am a fan of young adult. I agree about the cover. I wouldn't have thought the book was something i would enjoy from the cover.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

A superhero story with a Juedo-Christian twist? That phrase alone caught my attention and made me interested I'm the book. The fact that there are descriptive action scenes makes it sound even better.

Great Review! ?
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
LivreAmour217
Currently Reading:

Post by LivreAmour217 »

bibliognost wrote:As a big fan of YA (I think the genre is in its Golden Era right now) I was happy to find your review. Young Adult books often deal with complex issues, so I was not thrown by your description of the book as "Superhero with a Judeo-Christian twist." Thank you for sharing your review. I'll be adding Majesties on Canaan to my growing list of "Want to Read" YA books. :D
Great, I hope that you like it! Thanks for reading my review!

-- 23 Apr 2017, 12:04 --
kandscreeley wrote:I also am a fan of young adult. I agree about the cover. I wouldn't have thought the book was something i would enjoy from the cover.
I hope that the author changes it, and thank you for backing me up on that!

-- 23 Apr 2017, 12:05 --
Amagine wrote:A superhero story with a Juedo-Christian twist? That phrase alone caught my attention and made me interested I'm the book. The fact that there are descriptive action scenes makes it sound even better.

Great Review! ?
Thank you! I hope that you get to read it!
Chrys Brobbey
Currently Reading: Farmer Beau's Farm
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chrys-brobbey.html
Latest Review: "Break up with Defeat" by Jermaine Francis

Post by Chrys Brobbey »

I find it quite imaginative that the author uses the Middle-East situation to scheme a fantasy/sci-fi novel. It shows that there are many situations writers can use as a theme/plot for novels. A good review.
Latest Review: "Break up with Defeat" by Jermaine Francis
LivreAmour217
Currently Reading:

Post by LivreAmour217 »

Chrys Brobbey wrote:I find it quite imaginative that the author uses the Middle-East situation to scheme a fantasy/sci-fi novel. It shows that there are many situations writers can use as a theme/plot for novels. A good review.
Yes, this provided an element of realism to the story. Thank you for reading my review!
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Post by Jaime Lync »

The story sounds somewhat cliche to me but if it is well written it sounds like a very promising read. Sadly, I often judge a book by its cover. Great review.
LivreAmour217
Currently Reading:

Post by LivreAmour217 »

Jaime Lync wrote:The story sounds somewhat cliche to me but if it is well written it sounds like a very promising read. Sadly, I often judge a book by its cover. Great review.
Thank you. I suppose that superhero stories can be cliche, but this one has some unique elements.
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

It's been a while since I read a graphic novel. I'm impressed by the theme of this one.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
LivreAmour217
Currently Reading:

Post by LivreAmour217 »

Mercy Bolo wrote:It's been a while since I read a graphic novel. I'm impressed by the theme of this one.
Thanks for reading my review! This is a very unique book. If you get to read it, I hope that you enjoy it!

Return to “NEW: Graphic Novels and Comic Books”