Review of Pandora: End of Days by Peter J. Ang

Use this sub-forum to discuss comic books and graphic novels.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Tori_Teacup
Currently Reading: Roan
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tori-teacup.html
Reading Device: 1400697484

Review of Pandora: End of Days by Peter J. Ang

Post by Tori_Teacup »

This book starts off with a young girl, about high school or college age, named Katie. Katie is getting ready for her day when she remembers to grab a mysterious artifact which her father has sent her. As she's leaving her room zombies begin attacking her friends. Katie runs to find her dad believing he can fix this. When Katie arrives at her father's office, he's not there, however she finds a journal explaining what the museum has found and what they plan to do with it. She then turns on the TV to hear the news anchor showing the reveal of a newly discovered sarcophagus.

Skip ahead to the museum workers studying the sarcophagus. The sarcophagus has warnings written all over it about a plague being released if it is opened; the people ignore the warnings regardless of how much Katie's father begs them not to. Once the sarcophagus is opened a zombie is found cryogenically frozen inside. Once released the zombie begins infecting the people in the building.

Katie runs, and is shown later in a building alone. She is found by some soldiers who are trying to help people who aren't infected yet. The soldiers fight the zombies they see while Katie just stands back and waits as she was told to do. However when a larger, different monster appears in the mist of the zombies, the soldiers aren't able to fight it. Katie suddenly remembers the mysterious artifact her father had given her and opens it. Inside is a knife. She uses that knife on the monster and notices it is the only thing that can harm it, and kills it.

I rate this book 2 out of 4 stars. The artwork in this book was pretty and not just like every other graphic novel. I also liked the idea of the story. I did not however like how the story was executed. I found it a bit sloppy and sometimes slightly confusing. From the beginning the main focus is on Katie. You expect her to be some great hero with courage and strength who will fight through the entire book. Instead she runs and hides up until the very last few pages. The military does all of the fighting through most of the story, yet they are pushed off as unimportant background characters. I also found the book very jumpy. It did not seem to stay on track or transition very well from one scene to another.

Another problem I found with the book was that some things just didn't make very much sense to me. I didn't understand why it began with zombies when zombies were also the plague that came when they opened the sarcophagus. I felt like it would have been much more effective if the creatures only appeared after it was opened. My last issue with the book was that the writing felt lazy. A decent amount of the story is reading journal pages or news reports. I feel as though the storyline could have been better executed if it was actually shown through events in the story, rather than blatantly explaining it through news and journal. I would not read this book again, or bother reading the sequel if there is one, but it also wasn't the worst book I ever read, and I feel like I might have liked it more if it was executed better.

Return to “NEW: Graphic Novels and Comic Books”