The Complete Persepolis

Use this sub-forum to discuss comic books and graphic novels.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Goddess of Gab
Currently Reading: Help for the Haunted
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-goddess-of-gab.html

The Complete Persepolis

Post by Goddess of Gab »

This was the first graphic novel I ever read, and though I was hesitant, a trusted friend insisted I give it a chance. I'm glad she did.
The art style is simple, which again, gave me some ppause. I've never much been a fan of simpler art, but the story was well worth it, and the simple art style I must admit worked for the novel.
Marjane is a girl after my own heart, at one point trying the advice she hears from philosophers to humorous effect. She stays precocious and grows even more liberal as she ages and realizes just how much is at stake in her home country of Iran.
Overall, a great read, with political commentary that manages not to be so heavy it suffocates you. It certainly opened my mind to reading other graphic novels and i highly recommend it to anyone who is hesitant about the art form
Sparkletime
Currently Reading: The Tombs of Atuan
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sparkletime.html
Latest Review: "The Protectors, The First Coming" by Jonathan Gregory Reed

Post by Sparkletime »

I would definitely say Persepolis is a landmark comic book in many ways. There's a movie too, if you're up for it, I'd say it's worth while for fans of the comic book. If you want more political comics around the Middle East, Joe Sacco's Palestine as well as Footnotes in Gaza are great perspectives.
CarrieMe
Bookshelf Size: 357
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carrieme.html
Latest Review: "Away From The Sun" by Rebecca brisbane

Post by CarrieMe »

I sometimes have trouble reading graphic novels, but I've heard so much about this one that I really should give it a shot.
Latest Review: "Away From The Sun" by Rebecca brisbane
Sparkletime
Currently Reading: The Tombs of Atuan
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sparkletime.html

Post by Sparkletime »

CarrieMe wrote:I sometimes have trouble reading graphic novels, but I've heard so much about this one that I really should give it a shot.
It's really great but there's also a pretty good movie version if you truly struggle with graphic novels. I love reading graphic novels but sometimes it's easier to watch the story animated than read.
Riki
Currently Reading: Middlesex
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-riki.html
Latest Review: "The People Up the Holler" by Roger L. Guffey

Post by Riki »

I had to read this graphic novel for my ENGL 2220 course, and it was such an eye-opening experience. The fact that The Complete Persepolis isn't just a graphic novel but a graphic memoir made me feel so connected to the characters. Just knowing that they are in fact real people brought such gravity to the situations young Marji had to face throughout her childhood. Spoiler Warning: I cried my eyes out when her Uncle Anoosh died, and then I remembered he was a real person who actually died so then I just cried more. I love that more comics and graphic novels are making their way into academia. If more colleges assigned material like this to students I believe we'd see a drastic shift in class participation.
Latest Review: "The People Up the Holler" by Roger L. Guffey
Steph K
Currently Reading: The Hobbit
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-steph-k.html
Latest Review: Ever After by H M Irwing

Post by Steph K »

This was also one of the first graphic novels I ever read. It opened my mind up to the genre. I plan to read Maus by Art Spiegelman soon.
Vscholz
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
Bookshelf Size: 816
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vscholz.html
Latest Review: Primrose’s Curse by Kiara Shankar, Vinay Shankar
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Vscholz »

I often use the section about The Veil when I teach college composition. It is effective at giving students a different perspective on life and really comes in handy when explaining how we are literate in different ways. It is a good example of how our experiences shape our perceptions, and it isn't very long so students can get more information from less text.
As for you & your heart & the things you said & didn't say, she will remember them all when men are fairy tales in books written by rabbits. (Schmendrick the Magician)
Jillpillbooknerd
Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 1908
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jillpillbooknerd.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Jillpillbooknerd »

I read the whole series earlier this year and I fell in love with it! It was one of the first graphic novels that I picked up and read. I had seen so many good reviews on it that I was really excited to read it. I also really loved Embroideries by the same author.
Reigny01
Currently Reading: Triplicity
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Reigny01 »

Wow, based on everyone's insightful descriptions of "Persepolis," I am DEFINITELY going to read this one! I have not even heard of this amazing work and story till now. Thanks, guys.
BelleReadsNietzsche
Currently Reading: The Handmaid's Tale
Bookshelf Size: 300
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bellereadsnietzsche.html
Latest Review: I Can See Peace by Julie Penshorn
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by BelleReadsNietzsche »

Vscholz wrote: 18 Aug 2018, 14:16 I often use the section about The Veil when I teach college composition. It is effective at giving students a different perspective on life and really comes in handy when explaining how we are literate in different ways. It is a good example of how our experiences shape our perceptions, and it isn't very long so students can get more information from less text.
Oh, that’s brilliant! I love that.

I haven’t read much of the book, but I have seen the movie and also read that section in the novel. It’s on myself night stand, but it’s long and I haven’t made the time yet.... I really really need to...
"The bitter truth we critics must face is that, in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so." -Ratatouille (2007)
EllieLieberman
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Drank the Moon
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellielieberman.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

Post by EllieLieberman »

My brother gave me this book for Christmas and I devoured it. I appreciate graphic novels and comic books, but I never really dove into them or read them much before. I was in a terrible reading slump and this book was the cure.

Return to “NEW: Graphic Novels and Comic Books”