A Manga that Inspired you

Use this sub-forum to discuss comic books and graphic novels.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
DancingSouls
Currently Reading: The Cult Next Door
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dancingsouls.html

A Manga that Inspired you

Post by DancingSouls »

I'm interested in hearing about a manga or anime that has inspired you in some way or taught you a valuable lesson. It doesn't have to even be the main themes or goals in the manga, it can be about a character that stood out and taught you something or it can even be something the manga didn't show you but made you more aware of it. I like to believe that there is always something to take away from a story even if the only thing you take away is that you'all never read another book like it.

A manga that inspired me to never loose hope, to value and cherish family/friends, and to help others no matter what you are going through is 07 Ghost. I liked that there was a religious factor (although not mine and inspired by German folklore) that taught faith, hope, compassion, grieving, and that you are never really ever alone.
Free Roth
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Free Roth »

please I need some recs for this.
Sparkletime
Currently Reading: The Tombs of Atuan
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sparkletime.html
Latest Review: "The Protectors, The First Coming" by Jonathan Gregory Reed

Post by Sparkletime »

Oddly, Monster by Naoki Urasawa definitely inspired me. The story is so haunting and yet I felt drawn to it. It forces the reader to think about things like destiny and assumed roles as well as personal responsibility for society at large. Are you responsible for all the lives lost if you save a serial killer? That question drives the human aspect to this manga. It's complete and definitely worth the read.

I can go on, I read manga like people eat pizza (at least once a week if not more and very happily). Slam Dunk, the classic basketball manga about a delinquent who redeems himself through helping the team, is another that comes to mind. More recently Koe no Kitachi just left me astounded by how wonderfully a story could truly be told. It's about a young man who bullied a hearing impaired student and seeks her forgiveness before he attempts to end his own life. It's powerful and shows both the ugliness and the beauty of humanity.
Latest Review: "The Protectors, The First Coming" by Jonathan Gregory Reed
LMFranks
Currently Reading: HAiKYU!! 4
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lmfranks.html

Post by LMFranks »

I began reading manga about two years ago, I believe. There are a variety of series out there. I'll list four series that I've enjoyed and are completed.

Library Wars: Love and War
Hana-Kimi
Inuyasha
Kenshin Ruronin

These are some series that are still ongoing:

Food Wars!
Bleach
Fairytale
Case Closed (Detective Conan)

I hope these might be of interest to you. If not, that is all right, as I go through various series, I'll list them eventually.
karolinka
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-karolinka.html
Latest Review: "Loose Threads" by J. O. Quantaman
Reading Device: 1400698987

Post by karolinka »

I really like horror manga by Junji Ito, who creates superb works of terror that are exquisitely illustrated. Tomie and Spiral come to mind as good ones, along with many others.
"How to be a writer. Step one: Write."
- A. Beauchamp.
Latest Review: "Loose Threads" by J. O. Quantaman
ptolia_999
Bookshelf Size: 21

Post by ptolia_999 »

No.6 , Haikyuu, Naruto, Shokugeki no soma, tokyo ghoul
A Cup of Positivity
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-a-cup-of-positivity.html
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by A Cup of Positivity »

Almost every sports manga I've come across inspires me. The reason is because I'm drawn to stories that have characters who are goal-oriented. No matter if the protagonist is a genius or a complete amateur, these characters show tenacity and the willingness to improve themselves to become the best.

As for a specific manga that's inspired me, I would have to say "The Liar Games" is a good one. The main female protagonist, I think her name is Naoto (it's been a while) shows humanity in a way that I consider stupid - she always sees the light in people, even if they have continuously betrayed her. I think that this is extremely admirable and she is the prime example of someone who believes that everyone can change.
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E Tavel, MD
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

Sailor Moon was the first manga that got me into manga and later anime. It was the start in my interest in Japanese culture as well. So one day when I go to Tokyo and learn Japanese, I can say it was all thanks to Sailor Moon.

-- 28 Mar 2017, 09:50 --

Tokyo Ghoul is very inspiring and it's also poetic. The main character happens to be an avid book reader just like us. His character is one I can relate too and his struggles, triumphs and growing acceptance of himself is inspirational as well.
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
zerofire2905
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by zerofire2905 »

Kimi ni Todoke is one of the very few love manga that inspires me to have a platonic love in high school.
Other than that, I am also be motivated by One Piece for the spirit "Never give up", Doraemon for the creativity, and One Punch Man for the humor
stoppoppingtheP
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Adriana Trigiani
Favorite Book: The Hand of Fatima
Currently Reading: High Low In-Between
Bookshelf Size: 162
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stoppoppingthep.html
Latest Review: If I Only Knew by Kim Simmons
fav_author_id: 8071

Post by stoppoppingtheP »

I like Death Note, though I haven't finished it yet.

“there have been so many times
i have seen a man wanting to weep
but
instead
beat his heart until it was unconscious.

-masculine”

― Nayyirah Waheed
CarrieMe
Bookshelf Size: 357
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carrieme.html
Latest Review: "Away From The Sun" by Rebecca brisbane

Post by CarrieMe »

Sparkletime wrote:Oddly, Monster by Naoki Urasawa definitely inspired me. The story is so haunting and yet I felt drawn to it. It forces the reader to think about things like destiny and assumed roles as well as personal responsibility for society at large. Are you responsible for all the lives lost if you save a serial killer? That question drives the human aspect to this manga. It's complete and definitely worth the read.

I can go on, I read manga like people eat pizza (at least once a week if not more and very happily). Slam Dunk, the classic basketball manga about a delinquent who redeems himself through helping the team, is another that comes to mind. More recently Koe no Kitachi just left me astounded by how wonderfully a story could truly be told. It's about a young man who bullied a hearing impaired student and seeks her forgiveness before he attempts to end his own life. It's powerful and shows both the ugliness and the beauty of humanity.
I don't know very much about manga, but Monster and Koe no Kitachi both sound really interesting! I'll definitely be checking both of them out. Thanks for the recommendation!
Latest Review: "Away From The Sun" by Rebecca brisbane
Storygamer88
Currently Reading: The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time
Bookshelf Size: 365
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-storygamer88.html
Latest Review: "A Town Called Gonefor" by Wesley Cris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Storygamer88 »

Hikaru no Go inspired me to learn go. I was VP of my HS's go club, and I once beat the HS Go Club's tournament winner and runner up in back to back matches :)

I wasn't allowed to participate the year they won cause I was VP and helped run it I think.
Hi all. I like board games, card games, video games, books (especially children's books and mysteries), stories, cartoons, anime, manga, light novels, animation, and other light-hearted, fun things. Feel free to message if you want to chat!
Latest Review: "A Town Called Gonefor" by Wesley Cris
Senna
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by Senna »

Shokugeki no soma inspired me to cook a lot more and experiment with flavors. I really enjoyed how they delved into food science and eastern medicine in cooking.

Inuyasha was one of the first mangas I started reading. It inspired me to keep trying even when it seemed hopeless.

Naruto gave me hope that things would get better if I worked hard to change how things in my life were going. It showed me that even the smallest of things can have a profound impact.
HeyMimi
Currently Reading: Berserker Romance
Bookshelf Size: 2356

Post by HeyMimi »

I'm addicted to Hajime no Ippo (aka The Fighting; The First Step). It's set in the boxing world, but it's really about perseverance, dedication and that hard work will pay off.
Athena Moon
Favorite Author: Paulo Coelho
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3217">The Lovely Bones</a>
Currently Reading: The Piketty Problem
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-athena-moon.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White
fav_author_id: 2451

Post by Athena Moon »

Shingeki no Kyojin aka Attack on Titans taught me values humanity forgets in times of terror. I got attacked to this story with the first season of anime series, but the break between the second one was too long so I switched to manga. No regrets at all, it is written in more exciting ways than anime, plus I heard they there planning to make ammendments to the story and I know how bad it can be so I opted for the original story depicted in manga. Also, I really loved Kami sama no iiutori. I learned a lot about Japanese omens and symbols, but the story was rather cruel.

Return to “NEW: Graphic Novels and Comic Books”