A Manga that Inspired you

Use this sub-forum to discuss comic books and graphic novels.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
SpacePrinny
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: A Manga that Inspired you

Post by SpacePrinny »

Sparkletime wrote:Oddly, Monster by Naoki Urasawa definitely inspired me. The story is so haunting and yet I felt drawn to it. It forces the reader to think about things like destiny and assumed roles as well as personal responsibility for society at large. Are you responsible for all the lives lost if you save a serial killer? That question drives the human aspect to this manga. It's complete and definitely worth the read.

I can go on, I read manga like people eat pizza (at least once a week if not more and very happily). Slam Dunk, the classic basketball manga about a delinquent who redeems himself through helping the team, is another that comes to mind. More recently Koe no Kitachi just left me astounded by how wonderfully a story could truly be told. It's about a young man who bullied a hearing impaired student and seeks her forgiveness before he attempts to end his own life. It's powerful and shows both the ugliness and the beauty of humanity.

I second what you say about Monster completely and would add that it was one of the mangas that, for me personally, really elevated the medium. It's very common for people to dismiss manga as something somehow juvenile. But it really isn't! Anything by Naoki (also recommend Pluto and Master Keaton) has this realism to it, even more realistic than a lot of live action stuff. What really draws me about his style is not everyone is "Anime pretty". There are short people, fat people, people with thinning hair or bulbous noses. They look real, flaws and all. And while many mangaka choose a city or school theme to count down on elaborate backgrounds, Naoki ALWAYS opts for exotic locations. Italy, Great Britain, Japan, Africa. Some of the scenery is absolutely breathtaking! I very much appreciate that! He's also the KING of suspense! Really knows how to lure you in with just the right amount of pacing.

Can't recommend his work highly enough! :D
Zacheous Njoki
Currently Reading: My Memoirs: Fifty Years of Journalism from Print to the Internet
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Zacheous Njoki »

Horror Manga impressed me and it was quite an inspiration
cherryalakei
Currently Reading: anita blake burnt offerings
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cherryalakei.html
Latest Review: "30th Century: Escape" by Mark Kingston Levin

Post by cherryalakei »

I discovered manga when I was in my teens, and one that really stood out to me was Sailor Moon. I was a huge fan of the show, and when I discovered there were these books that didn't look like traditional comics, I was intrigued. The Sailor Moon mangas are what introduced me to the existence of mangas in general, and the artwork in them had a profound effect on my own artwork. It inspired me more artistically than learning a lesson, or taking something away. Some of Naoko Takeuchi's artwork in these mangas is just so beautiful to me, and I still appreciate it to this day.
Latest Review: "30th Century: Escape" by Mark Kingston Levin
eelavahs-jay
Currently Reading: Island of the Gods
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eelavahs-jay.html
Latest Review: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire by H M Irwing

Post by eelavahs-jay »

I really enjoyed Psycho Pass. The characters were well written and I appreciated the amount of thought that went into creating the world of the Sybil System. In a world where technology is constantly evolving I think its important for us not to lose sight of what separates man from machine. The main villain in season one said something quite profound about physical books versus ebooks that really resonated with me and cemented my belief that the growth of technology has dulled our experience of life. He said, and I quote:

"Why don't you buy paper books? E-books lack character."

"Books are not something that you just read words in. They're also a tool to adjust your senses. When I'm not feeling well there are times that I can't take in what I read. When that happens, I try to think about what could be hindering my reading. There are books that I can take in smoothly even when I'm not feeling well. I try to think why. It might be something like mental tuning. What's important when you tune is the feeling of the paper that you're touching with your fingers and the momentary stimulation your brain receives when you turn pages..."

Makishima Shougo is his name by the way. Til date it is the most profound thing I've ever heard in an anime.
any451363

Post by any451363 »

Haikyuuu! I learnt to do my best and really get into what I like. It also lifted my mood everytime I was down, the concept of the anime may be a cliché but there's something about the plot and the characters' development that keeps me hang up on it
HermitReviewer

Post by HermitReviewer »

Dokgo was really interesting and inspired me to try and be a better person
wykin
Currently Reading: The Boy who Lived with Ghosts
Bookshelf Size: 35

Post by wykin »

Death note was a bomb...I've learnt not to be too forward on things that suddenly show up.
inaramid
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Siege and Storm
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inaramid.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Post by inaramid »

I'd go with Attack on Titan, because it has given me so much to think about from the very first page. Sometimes, freedom is illusory and the real enemy is not the one in front of you. Sometimes, the truth is more important than your life--or humanity. I admire Attack on Titan for its unique take on what it means to be human, and I take inspiration from it as a person and as a writer. I haven't seen this concept anywhere else, and the story is still quite gripping even hundreds of chapters later.
Abel Joshua
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Abel Joshua »

Akira,berserk, fist of the North Star and fairy tail are so inspiring it heavy emphasis on friendship, betrayal, abuse of power, supremacy,love,war,patience and endurance have inspired in many ways. Japanese manga have modify my way of life.
Michael Davids daudi

Post by Michael Davids daudi »

Really inspiring
uyky
Favorite Author: Charles de Lint
Currently Reading: Tapping the Dream Tree
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uyky.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin
fav_author_id: 6861

Post by uyky »

It was not exactly manga, but manhwa (Korean comics). I read it some time ago and still remember it. The story was magical and wonderful, and art was very specific. Different than what I was used to from other mangas and manhwas. It is called Annarasumanara.
holsam_87
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 1691
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-holsam-87.html
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by holsam_87 »

I have read quite a few Manga series over the years since I started watching Anime on a regular basis in my teens. My personal favorites are InuYasha, Yu Yu Hakusho, Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood, and Sailor Moon. A new series that I have started watching/reading is The Ancient Magus' Bride and I really like it so far because of the fantasy elements from the mages, magical creatures, and the fae. It is a bit slow so far, but I think that it will pick soon. After all, it has only been around for about five years, and it came to Anime form back in October 2017.
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
Michael Lilly
Currently Reading: The Goose Girl
Bookshelf Size: 547
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michael-lilly.html
Latest Review: The Elf Brief by Jordan David

Post by Michael Lilly »

Warning: This is not a manga for everyone, especially for survivors who are in recovery from CSA or SA with PTSD.

Bitter Virgin by Kei Kusunoki is a 4 volume seinen series that covers recovery from sexual abuse, miscarriage and giving up a baby for adoption in the context of a high school romance. It is also the story of how a self-centered boy becomes a man willing to protect the dignity and secret of a young woman he is falling in love with. The manga-ka herself, prior to writing BV, had to cope with her own miscarriage, so she is able to write this fictional setting with grace and dignity.

It is worth reading, not only for the respectful way that Kusonki-sensei depicts the tragic events (if one can ever said to be 'respectful' in necessary depictions of (sexual) violence, but for the message of hope that it offers to girls and women in difficult situations due to no fault of their own. In essence, Kusonoki-sensei is saying "you are not alone" "this is not the end".

This manga hit home for me because my wife is a survivor herself.
Inkroverts
Currently Reading: The Book Thief
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inkroverts.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Inkroverts »

Oddly, Death Note inspired me to be an artist. Because I want to draw characters like Takeshi Obata, anime-simplified yet realistic at the same time.
TopaAzul062
Favorite Book: Cartouches, Field Guide and Identification Key
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-topaazul062.html
Latest Review: Basic Training for the Self-Publishing Battlefields by Lewis Kempfer

Post by TopaAzul062 »

There were these sets of shows, I didn't know they were anime at the time, that got me interested in experimenting with different drawing styles. After that, I took interest in learning other languages. Though it's going to sound odd, MegaTokyo did stir up some inspirations.

Why odd? The first book I read from the series had me lost a bit. While I didn't understand the volume the art style was unique compared to what I've seen up till that point. Of course I understand the story now and find it nice that the creators are still charging ahead.

Oh the inspiration. Well, the manga showed you didn't have to stick to a pre-approved mold in order to get to where you want to be. You don't have to go through the bigwigs to get your work out there but it does help to have a loyal following. Not many knew about these guys and years later I'm seeing bookmarks featuring their work at the local library. Some day this will come to be.

Return to “NEW: Graphic Novels and Comic Books”