Bleach

Use this sub-forum to discuss comic books and graphic novels.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Nisha Ward
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Re: Bleach

Post by Nisha Ward »

Inkroverts wrote: 11 Sep 2019, 23:03 I think the artist Tite Kubo is good at designing new characters and building worlds. But when it comes to storytelling, I don't think he did a good job. The beginning of the series is good maybe because he had the story in mind for a while now, so it was fleshed out and he knew what was going to happen at when, where, and whom.
But later it turned into a chore, and he was giving out very obvious fillers. I remember looking up the latest Bleach manga last year. A fight scene could last for 3-4 weeks (with weekly updates).
I'm not sure how accurate this is because I heard it years ago but rumour is that Kubo wanted to end the manga with the end of the Arrancar arc but his contract with Shonen Jump meant that he had to draw it out to 700 chapters. That's why you can see a drop in quality around the Bounce arc.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
Tavaiel26
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tavaiel26.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by Tavaiel26 »

I have fond memories of Bleach, and liked the Soul Society arc but disliked the rest, as most people. Super Eyepatch Wolf from Youtube made an interesting analysis that gives a bit of context for what happened with it, so after watching that it didn't feel so bad anymore. Simply, Tite Kubo, by his own admission, likes drawing and coming up with cool stuff. Storytelling requires more than that, and the grind kind of got to him, and that's understandable.

Still, until Aizen is beaten, it's a worthy read.
writestuff
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-writestuff.html
Latest Review: The Secrets To Living A Fantastic Life... by Dr. Allen Lycka & Harriet Tinka

Post by writestuff »

Loved the anime. Had to stay up till 3am to watch two episodes a night. After Rukia gets saved, end it there. It feels as rushed as it might have been. The mangaka cannot draw fast enough to keep a anime going sometimes.
mrwrite
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrwrite.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by mrwrite »

This was a first class anime. Kenpatchi and renji were the best ones. Had the backround music stuck in my head for ages though.
ms_vinkel
Currently Reading: The Stranger
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ms-vinkel.html
Latest Review: Sandra Eden's War by Michael Low

Post by ms_vinkel »

Enjoyed reading it until the end of the Arrancar's invasion (I think this was still part of the Aizen arc?). Then, I don't know what happened that made me disinterested from reading it afterwards.
Kitty Jay
Currently Reading: Edge of Collapse
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by Kitty Jay »

I really enjoyed the Bleach series. I read some of the manga and the anime. I do think you get a more in-depth view of the protagonists and villains. The books have a much better flow than the tv series. Though I understand that the tv series was a head of the manga; too many filler episodes to bulk out the plot line while they waited for the books to catch up.
There was dispute between the author and editors meaning the artwork and story suffered massively because of it. Which was disappointing really. The story was good and as a coming of age story was compelling its just a shame it was pushed passed its natural conclusion.
ms_vinkel
Currently Reading: The Stranger
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ms-vinkel.html
Latest Review: Sandra Eden's War by Michael Low

Post by ms_vinkel »

Kitty Jay wrote: 08 Aug 2020, 12:57 There was dispute between the author and editors meaning the artwork and story suffered massively because of it. Which was disappointing really.
Oh, interesting. I did not follow any updates about the author's life so this is new to me. Hmmm It might have gone better if it went according to the author's wishes.
Shirakko_
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Shirakko_ »

Spoliers! I absolutely love this manga. It was one the first few mangas I ever read. One of the best things about the manga is the establishment of Shinigami. In Japan, the word Shinigami reminds you of an evil form that kills people with a scythe. But Shinigami in BLEACH are different; they have the appearance of a samurai dressed in black. The author gave a unique twist to the archetypal character and put it in an action manga. That was innovative.

It is not an exaggeration to say that the popularity of BLEACH owes a lot to the Gotei 13, the second greatest strength of this manga. Many unique Shinigami characters make popular appearances. Each Shinigami also has their own Zanpakutou, a sword whose shape differs according to its wielder. The finishing moves, Bankai, also depend on the character. Byakuya Kuchiki, Rukia’s brother and captain of the Sixth Division, and Toushirou Hitsugaya, the captain of the Tenth Division whose has the shape of a young boy, are especially popular characters of the Gotei 13.

Ichigo fights both against them and with them. The Soul Society Arc is so popular because the Gotei 13 are both friends and foes, and you never know if they will be the former or the latter until their true colors are revealed.

It’s difficult to explain BLEACH‘s charm to someone who isn’t familiar with it because there are so many things that are born of the story, and which only make sense if the story is understood. So far, I’m trying to keep them at a minimum to ease your understanding, but I’m a little worried about whether or not I’m making sense!

If there are too many things in the manga, if the learning curve is too high, then it usually doesn’t get popular. But this manga became popular quickly, because it makes fancy settings look simple. The design makes the readers want to read, and that’s the third greatest thing about the manga. This manga has detailed art, rare for Japanese shonen, and great design. For example, you can see the author’s design sense in his cover art and positioning of banners. The author, Taito Kubo, was always trying to make it simple and cool.

Taito Kubo made the plot accessible. The manga shows battles one-on-one to help the reader focus on less things, and the easy-to-follow storytelling is the fourth greatest thing about BLEACH. The manga is easy to read, and the anime is easy to watch. The pictures and art are well-composed, and so is the story.

However, this simple plot is also its downside at times. A lot of characters appear in BLEACH. They fight one-on-one every week, which means the story takes ages to progress. That’s why the manga is so long. And because of the length and slow pace, the manga gradually lost fans. In its final years in Weekly Shonen Jump, the story progressed too fast and was featured near the end of the magazine. The anime ends only halfway through the story.

But even if its popularity declined, the manga is still attractive, because it ties up the loose ends in the final chapters. As you finish reading it, you come to understand the mysteries in the story. The ending is satisfying. Therefore, I’d like people who haven’t yet read the manga to try reading it. And if you like the manga, I definitely recommend the anime as well.
DTGhoul_302

Post by DTGhoul_302 »

I read everyone of the bleach manga series and it always wanting more.
ChristinaMokoena
Favorite Book: Crossfire Series
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christinamokoena.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by ChristinaMokoena »

When I say love please take me seriously. I love Bleach I need the television series to return as I live for the manga.

To think people do not understand why millions of people around the world love this specific manga. To know there are fellow Bleach lovers out there gives me such pleasure. Hello bleach lovers.
IDCYT

Post by IDCYT »

I really enjoy the anime and the manga! It is one of my favorites. I love how they make the villains so hate able. As the series progressed i fell in love with the story and characters.
Chaoleeb2

Post by Chaoleeb2 »

This anime shows “hollows” and “spirits” and the powers the characters has to defeat them. The plot is also interesting. I personally like the details and animation. You can really get into it and keep watching.
PhoenixLeStrange
Favorite Book: Twilight
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by PhoenixLeStrange »

I too love Bleach, both the manga and the anime though I must confess that I didn’t much care for the Netflix live action movie that was released 2 years ago

Return to “NEW: Graphic Novels and Comic Books”